MR2

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/18/14 11:34 a.m.

I'll take the IS300

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/18/14 12:40 p.m.

Anything that isn't the Miata (cause it seems like there have been twelve million articles on the Miata) and the P71.

If it is going to be a project car, I would vote the Corolla XRS, EP3 Civic or Audi A4.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/18/14 1:20 p.m.

EP3 Civic might be the most interesting, from the standpoint of finding value where others don't see it. Does it really trail behind the other generations of Civic Si like everyone says it does? Is this the answer for the gearhead that needs to fit a tuba in the back? :D

itsarebuild
itsarebuild HalfDork
4/18/14 1:44 p.m.

I am sooooooooo curious how this batch of cars got lumped together. No commonalities I can see. Did you just list the cars you saw at the quickie mart last weekend when you stopped for gas?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 1:52 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Out of that list i would be looking at an e46 m3 convertible, or, failing that, an e46 330 convertible. NOT out of that list, i would pick a Boxster S. As much as i like the idea of a Corolla XRS, they honestly never sound as cool on paper as they are in real life. I have a friend with one and i love hearing his street racing stories. The car is way faster than you would think by the numbers, or even by driving it (which i have). It's a confusing overachiever that can't totally be conveyed in text.

And that's why it needs to be done. SCCA classes it in STF. I wanna see one turn Bobzilla inside out at Nationals.

I want to do one so badly myself, but i'd have to get rid of a car or two in my fleet, and i'm not sure i'm willing to do that.

It WOULD probably be my only chance at National trophy glory, though. The car WILL do it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
4/18/14 1:56 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: I am sooooooooo curious how this batch of cars got lumped together. No commonalities I can see. Did you just list the cars you saw at the quickie mart last weekend when you stopped for gas?

Nope, read the magazine and you'll find the answer, though.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/18/14 2:06 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: From the list I'd pick the IS300 in the rare 3 pedal version.

Same here.

/thread

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/18/14 2:32 p.m.

Miata

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/18/14 2:43 p.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: EP3 Civic might be the most interesting, from the standpoint of finding value where others don't see it. Does it really trail behind the other generations of Civic Si like everyone says it does? Is this the answer for the gearhead that needs to fit a tuba in the back? :D

Now that is a serious question. I looked at these before I bought my 2. I like them. I couldn't convince my wife that they were cool. Tuba will certainly fit with the seats down, but I don't think it will with the seats up.
I change my vote to ep3 Civic Si.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/18/14 3:21 p.m.
Does it really trail behind the other generations of Civic Si like everyone says it does?

In what sense? It's not really any slower than a late CRX si or EK si. Heck, it's even a little faster than a CR-Z. But it's a LOT slower than an 8th gen civic SI, or a Corolla XRS for that matter. Handling and feel and stuff are more subjective.

I dont really consider them particularly cool cars. It's just a decent little hatchback with a decent motor and decent handling and decent mpg.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/18/14 3:48 p.m.

So I'm guessing you guys don't remember the 7-part ep3 Civic Si project we did back in 2003?

If you are curious, contact the office, as back issues are still available. We toyed with it, modified it, took it to the SCCA Solo II Nationals-- the whole bit.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/18/14 3:53 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: So I'm guessing you guys don't remember the 7-part ep3 Civic Si project we did back in 2003? If you are curious, contact the office, as back issues are still available. We toyed with it, modified it, took it to the SCCA Solo II Nationals-- the whole bit.

I remember that car!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/18/14 4:02 p.m.

That's the one!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 4:13 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Does it really trail behind the other generations of Civic Si like everyone says it does?
In what sense? It's not really any slower than a late CRX si or EK si. Heck, it's even a little faster than a CR-Z. But it's a LOT slower than an 8th gen civic SI, or a Corolla XRS for that matter. Handling and feel and stuff are more subjective. I dont really consider them particularly cool cars. It's just a decent little hatchback with a decent motor and decent handling and decent mpg.

Thinking of them as a 2/3rds scale Oddyssey Si makes more sense.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/18/14 4:15 p.m.

Tommy, just buy this damn thing so i don't have to in order to prove my point.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=572649448&listingId=137890654

It's cheap enough that you could buy it, catch up any and all maintenance that may have been passed by, and still have enough left over to do a full scale balls to the wall STF build.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/20/14 4:22 p.m.

How about the front end on this blue/white EP3? Improvement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel%3A51cb65f8-0-2e1a-86aa-14dae9d24d5a&feature=iv&src_vid=XUE114w2F_A&v=bLcDN-qCpYI

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
4/20/14 5:01 p.m.

Can we mix and match? Wrecked LS1 Camaro + Miata!

Or Wrecked LS1 Camaro + anything really.

Double bonus points if the anything is FWD.

TRIPLE bonus points if the anything is the Mini, Audi A4, or WRX

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
4/20/14 6:04 p.m.

P71

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
4/20/14 6:57 p.m.

LS1 Camaro in the form of a Trans Am. Camaros are cool, but Trans Ams are always cooler.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/20/14 7:05 p.m.

EP3 Civic Si w/ real K20 swapped in.

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke New Reader
4/20/14 7:15 p.m.

you won't

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
4/20/14 9:10 p.m.

Which Toyota MR2? Irrelevant I guess, pick up one of those.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
4/20/14 9:19 p.m.

Mr2

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
4/20/14 9:41 p.m.

The later MR2 Spyder

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NbJDAiCAltvqPAbAmYVon5BZkgSO5Z1HMeAQZZ3uMxscbLM8cWgJHK2PaHDJLbV5