1 2
carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
11/21/12 9:30 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: they've already got a name picked out.. they are just phishing for information about people that might be willing to give them large chunks of their yearly income.
  • a billion

Reminds a little of the FF "contest"

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/21/12 11:53 a.m.

NASCAR Jr.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
11/21/12 2:24 p.m.

Not Yo Mom's SportsCar Racing?

NYMSCC

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
11/21/12 4:00 p.m.

American Sportscar Series

wait for it.....

Brian
Brian SuperDork
11/21/12 4:14 p.m.

G6

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
11/21/12 7:44 p.m.

LeGrand-Mans

etifosi
etifosi Dork
5/26/16 10:41 a.m.

I've applied the defibrillator to this thread in hopes of hearing what you folks think about the direction Nascar has taken with the United/Tudor/Weathertech Series.

They don't seem to promote it or want it to be on TV much. They haven't really grown the schedule and seem to have dwindling car counts. I skipped the 6 hrs of the Glen last year due to pricing (typhoon rain & red flags would have made it a soggy weekend anyway). This year I decided to go to Pirelli race at LRP instead of the Weathertech race because it was less expensive and looked like it would offer more cars for me to enjoy.

The Conti series' GS class can't get double-digit car count?

I know there are new "prototype" rules for 2017, maybe that will bring some blood in. E36 M3, just looked up the 2017 DPi car....looks like a 10 year old Audi!

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
5/26/16 12:13 p.m.

A lot of teams jumped ship for PWC after the merger since they weren't sure what to expect. I think getting rid of the DPs, and moving GTD to GT3 specs will be a good move for the series. I think the combined series is far better than Grand Am ever was.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/16 12:30 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

As far as I know, those P cars are also international P2 cars. Basically aligning the US endurance series more with the FIA and FOCA. So more of the US teams can (theoretically) go to LeMans- which is still the biggest deal in all of endurance racing.

FIA P1 seems to keep going, even though it's been heavily dominated by Audi and diesels (thanks to some rather generous rule biasing). New teams seem to want to try their hand at it.

But the real racing is in the GT classes. HUGE fields. And a lot of variety of cars.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
5/26/16 12:32 p.m.

Cary McCarface? Oh, wait...never mind.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/26/16 12:44 p.m.

I was having this conversation with some people the other day. We wish they'd drop the prototype classes and just go GT racing for sports car events both here and in Europe. It would probably lead to an arms race, but what an arms race. Ford is building 250 GT's a year but I'd like to see the rules say 500 a year minimum. Imagine Ford, Ferrari, Chevrolet (Corvette), Porsche, Aston, McLaren, Lambo etc racing for the overall win rather than GT class honors. Let's face it no one thought the Group C cars were slow in the 80's or 90's and I bet today's GTLM cars are jsut as fast or faster

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
5/26/16 12:47 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I was having this conversation with some people the other day. We wish they'd drop the prototype classes and just go GT racing for sports car events both here and in Europe. It would probably lead to an arms race, but what an arms race. Ford is building 250 GT's a year but I'd like to see the rules say 500 a year minimum. Imagine Ford, Ferrari, Chevrolet (Corvette), Porsche, Aston, McLaren, Lambo etc racing for the overall win rather than GT class honors. Let's face it no one thought the Group C cars were slow in the 80's or 90's and I bet today's GTLM cars are jsut as fast or faster

Well a GTLM car did win Petit last year, but I guess those were special circumstances..

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/16 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

The only issue is that for only a handful of years in the last 60 were prototypes not there. And only a handful of actual "production" cars won outright- the GT40 being one of them. I can't actually count the Ferrari's that were not actually produced as production, especially when you heard of GT40's in show rooms not selling.

The most classic GT cars (GTO, mostly, but also the Cobra and Daytona) never won the race- they always won their class. The closest alternates I can think of are the 930 monsters in the 70's. But they were even beat by other Porsches.

The 90's had the McLarens...

Not that GT racing is not good enough, but that there is always a group of racers who want to race prototype cars.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
5/26/16 1:45 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

I was thinking "Racy McRacecars" myself, there'd be a sponsorship deal in there somewhere

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
5/26/16 1:54 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Yeah, yours is a way better name than mine.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
5/26/16 2:15 p.m.

Free Pizza! You run some commercials that Free Pizza is coming to town and you'll have mobs of people turning out.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/26/16 2:27 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: The only issue is that for only a handful of years in the last 60 were prototypes not there. And only a handful of actual "production" cars won outright- the GT40 being one of them. I can't actually count the Ferrari's that were not actually produced as production, especially when you heard of GT40's in show rooms not selling. The most classic GT cars (GTO, mostly, but also the Cobra and Daytona) never won the race- they always won their class. The closest alternates I can think of are the 930 monsters in the 70's. But they were even beat by other Porsches. The 90's had the McLarens... Not that GT racing is not good enough, but that there is always a group of racers who want to race prototype cars.

Times have changed. You could buy a C type or D type from Jag, but to be honest they were horrible cars to drive on the road. Driving a Ford GT, Mclaren 675LT, 911 GTR etc is now a wonderful place to be. Also let's be honest about the relationship between racing and road cars. Yes in the 50's Jag proved out disc brakes on the C type before introducing them on road cars, but these days beyond the engineering disciplin of working in a racing environemnt road cars are far more advanced than race cars as race cars need to be limited in what they can use to be practical to race. With modern technology we could build a car so far beyond the limits of the human body autonomous would be the only way to go.

Even back in the 60's with things like the 250 GTO, P4, 330, 917 etc. They were all street legal if not practically street usable. that continued up to the 90's with the Daur 962 winning in 1994 in the GT1 class and even the 911 GT1 as well. By making a 500 limit you'd get some wild super cars with awesome performance with a real link to the street.

I dont' make the rules though. If I can't have that then let's legislate back to the look of the 80's or very early 90's Group C cars. I find the modern prototypes to be beyond ugly and that's from someone who thinks new F1 cars look OK and modern Indy cars look down right cool at least in super speedway trim if not road course trim.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lCVUzZte3bvKfJYSv3JiwpVEfoP8nhDRT5lvcOoLVtxqIqIDsoA39x91uOrW2ENe