1 2 3 4
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/19 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

That's a nice sentiment but lets not let rose colored glasses get in the way.  I recommend to get the car ($500 purchase) and maybe over a week get a good solid assessment of the cars condition.  I don't think we have yet ascertained what the AC issue is, etc.  

Not yet mentioned... How many miles does the Vibe have? 

You can always be a hero, at any time, and surprise the seller with more money.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/8/19 11:35 a.m.

Mileage is 146K. Says it need a compressor, but I don't know that for sure. He also didn't know if it had ABS, or how to open the rear glass separate from the gate(which it totally can do), so I'm going to take what he says with a grain of salt. It might not be as nice as it appears, but for $500 I'm willing to take a chance for a car for my son.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/8/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

The rear glass opens from the key fob. Hold down the button that looks like the rear trunk opening symbol on most cars fobs.

If there's a way to do it in the car I haven't found it yet.

For $500 I'd have taken the chance too. They're pretty cheap to maintain without the GT upgrades.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/8/19 11:43 a.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

The rear glass opens from the key fob. Hold down the button that looks like the rear trunk opening symbol on most cars fobs.

If there's a way to do it in the car I haven't found it yet.

For $500 I'd have taken the chance too. They're pretty cheap to maintain without the GT upgrades.

The seller has an aftermarket car starter on the car, so perhaps the key fob doesn't have that button? I wonder if he still has the factory Toyota/Pontiac key fob? It looks like the glass opens with the key hole in the hatch as well.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/8/19 1:16 p.m.

146K on a 1zz is not bad.  Just keep an eye on the oil and top off as needed.  Still say you're stealing it.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
3/8/19 3:08 p.m.

There is a hatch glass release button to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. 

Being able to pop the glass was one of the best features of that car. Allowed us to haul a kayak on the inside if the car. Also a recliner, lawn mower, and more. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
3/8/19 3:09 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

146K on a 1zz is not bad.  Just keep an eye on the oil and top off as needed.  Still say you're stealing it.

Wise advice for any engine but ours had 230k when we got rid of it and it didn’t leak or burn a drop between oil changes. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
3/8/19 3:17 p.m.
HopmanJones said:
Dr. Hess said:

Wise advice for any engine but ours had 230k when we got rid of it and it didn’t leak or burn a drop between oil changes. 

Ah, but you only knew that because you were keeping an eye on it. wink

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/8/19 4:10 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

Now I need to go look for it. It's convenient as heck but not quite as good as the 4Runners hideaway glass.

Edit: So there is. If you had asked me that question 2 hours ago I would have sworn it popped the whole hatch.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
3/8/19 4:41 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to HopmanJones :

Now I need to go look for it. It's convenient as heck but not quite as good as the 4Runners hideaway glass.

No argument there. I wish I had a double cab tundra instead of the access cab so I could have that on my truck. The sequoia has one too. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/8/19 4:43 p.m.

Friend just dropped it off. It's a solid car from what I have seen so far. Looks like it's had a fender bender in the past (he thought so too) as I can see evidence of a respray. Hatch glass opens with a button on the left side of the dashboard or with the key. Interior overhead lights don't work with the door being open. Well the rear most one does, but not the one at the sunroof buttons or the one in the middle. The sunroof area light works with the button next to it, but not with the door switches. I'd like to track that down. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/8/19 6:53 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Here it is in all its orange glory. I like it. Picking it up tomorrow. 

That is a whole lot of clean starter car for under $600. Very nice!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/8/19 7:02 p.m.

Bastards. Now I want a manual Vibe.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/9/19 12:27 p.m.

Messed around with the center dome light and now it works. Not really sure what I did, but messing with the lens made the light come on. I was just out checking the car over, and from what I can see so far this thing is nicer than my daily driver. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/9/19 2:23 p.m.

My friend said the cigarette lighter on the dash didn't work. I checked it out and it appeared to not be working. Checked all the fuses under the hood and they were all good. Checked the lighter outlet again and it was working. Not sure what I did, but it works. 

mx5vibe
mx5vibe New Reader
3/9/19 2:42 p.m.

Wow for $600 you came up pretty good!

I bought this 03 vibe as a fixer upper for $500. When I bought it, it had a blown 5-Speed manual transmission. It literally could not move in neutral. I upgraded the transmission to a C60 6-speed manual transmission from a Toyota Celica GT-S, which I had to modify slightly to work. After everything was said and done, I spent $900 total to get this car going (including purchase price).

The issue with my A/C (and on a lot of Vibes) was that the A/C compressor clutch gets weak and doesn't clack on when the a/c is on. I just bought the a/c compressor clutch from rock auto for $130 and changed it myself. I had to buy the $50 snap ring pliers set from Harbor Freight because the cheap ones I had didn't work.

After changing the A/C clutch and getting a recharge the A/C works great.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/9/19 2:46 p.m.
mx5vibe said:

Wow for $600 you came up pretty good!

I bought this 03 vibe as a fixer upper for $500. When I bought it, it had a blown 5-Speed manual transmission. It literally could not move in neutral. I upgraded the transmission to a C60 6-speed manual transmission from a Toyota Celica GT-S, which I had to modify slightly to work. After everything was said and done, I spent $900 total to get this car going (including purchase price).

The issue with my A/C (and on a lot of Vibes) was that the A/C compressor clutch gets weak and doesn't clack on when the a/c is on. I just bought the a/c compressor clutch from rock auto for $130 and changed it myself. I had to buy the $50 snap ring pliers set from Harbor Freight because the cheap ones I had didn't work.

After changing the A/C clutch and getting a recharge the A/C works great.

My friend said he had the A/C looked at and was told it needed a compressor. He said they wanted $900 for the replacement of the compressor  He didn't think it was worth it  I tried the A/C button and it doesn't light up and the compressor doesn't engage. I'm hoping I can fix it myself  but I don't know much about A/C  

imgon
imgon HalfDork
3/9/19 8:39 p.m.

Nice score, keep it for yourself. Let Lucas find his own ride

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/10/19 8:45 a.m.

I don't know how to troubleshoot A/C issues. Where should I start with regard to knowing why it isn't working? 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/10/19 8:55 a.m.

Gauges.  Is there any freon in the system?  If not, the compressor won't kick in.  Once that is established, check the clutch.  Resistance across it?  If it's open, that's your problem.  In general, compressors go bad by the seals leaking out the freon.  They can go catastrophically bad, but all the ones I've had to replace were seals issues. 

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
3/10/19 9:10 a.m.

Over the Summer my sister was quoted 1200 for a new compressor on her VW CC.  Bought her a new one from Rock for $240ish.  Took the car and the compressor to the local gas station Mazda605 and I use.  They installed it and recharged it for $200ish.  Just buy a new compressor and take it to Jay at Eagle gas.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/10/19 9:21 a.m.

$224 at Techchoice.com.

Don't forget the drier.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/10/19 9:55 a.m.

I'd like to verify that it needs a compressor first. Just going on the few things my friend told me about the car so far that were just stupid easy to fix I wonder if it's not a bad compressor at all. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/10/19 10:33 a.m.

Then gauges first.  HF sells a nice set.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/10/19 6:01 p.m.

Can confirm the 115v outlet on the dash works just fine. This car has way more features and 30k less miles than my daily driver. I'm thinking I should just keep it for myself. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2fQ4KYgF2r0E0zck3NznnP11ftgfxMqflFR2kZnyZLXFqUBXHjI0QFvTXhbCOwVK