1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/27/18 7:03 a.m.

I am going this year. A good friend is stationed in Colorado Springs and asked me to come. We ordered a camp site at 9 mile. 

Anyone else want to come?

We have space at the camp site if you want to do that.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/30/18 8:42 a.m.

Bueller?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/30/18 9:06 a.m.

I'd love to go. This is one of my favorite all-time races. Unfortunately, the money/vacation time are non-existent to add that to the list this year. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/30/18 9:22 a.m.

Have a blast--- and drink lots and lots of water if you aren't used to high altitude.   It's an amazing event, but unfortunately I won't be there this year. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/30/18 9:26 a.m.

It is on the list of races to see but we can't swing it this year.  Have fun.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/30/18 10:15 a.m.

Get up at 3 am and head for Devil's Playground. Expect to take refuge in your car at some point. If you have a camper, you will be the king of the parking lot. Do not expect to get off the mountain until very late in the day.

Joe Gearin
5/30/18 10:52 a.m.

+1 on Devil's Playground---It's the best place to watch the race.

Bring cold weather gear.  Even though it's summer, it's been known to snow on the mountain.    And get ready for views like this--- ok, maybe not exactly like this--- this was taken from the Summit.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
5/30/18 12:46 p.m.

I'll be just missing it. Heading up for a house hunting trip a week later. Next year though I'll be living at the base of the mountain so It'll be an easy commute :) 

Just remember too, moving around at 11-12K' will leave you a little winded. This is from right by the devils playground on practice day in 2016. See all of the snow. 

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
5/30/18 1:02 p.m.

Man I'd love to go but June is too soon for me :(

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
5/30/18 2:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Get up at 3 am and head for Devil's Playground. Expect to take refuge in your car at some point. If you have a camper, you will be the king of the parking lot. Do not expect to get off the mountain until very late in the day.

this ^

also the only time I went to pikes peak (for the race or and visitation) I spotted your vanagon about a mile up the road from devils playground

Ryed
Ryed New Reader
5/30/18 3:11 p.m.

This is definitely on the "bucket list" for me, as a spectator. I compete in the New England Hillclimb Series, and raced at Mt. Washington last year. There were a few cars from Pikes Peak there, which was very cool. Got to witness Travis Pastrana's record time. Totally insane.

I hate to thread-jack, but we're potentially losing the Historic Mt. Philo Hillclimb here in Vermont. In the spirit of promoting all things motor sports, please consider signing the online petition. We have until June 1, 2018 to get as many signatures as possible. Thanks for the consideration. Link to thread:

Help Save the Historic Mt. Philo Hillclimb

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
5/30/18 4:30 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I am in Denver, and have never been before and would like to! The only problem is I wouldn't be able to make it until 3-4pm on the 23rd...

Rick O'Shea
Rick O'Shea New Reader
5/30/18 6:16 p.m.

I've been the last two years. We camp in the Glen Cove area (ranger station). I like it there because you can see so much of the track if you hike around and you are sheltered when the weather rolls through in the afternoon. Camping on the track is so surreal. Once they close the road for the day everything seems quieter you can really feel the excitement and energy. Enjoy your trip!

Top tips: Don't be in a hurry on your way out on Sunday. Traffic is a beyotch.

As mentioned, lots of water and minimal alcohol. Altitude sickness is no fun, and you are stuck on the mountain until the last car makes its return from the summit.

Bring lots of clothes in layers. I've been from a t-shirt to a ski coat and back three times in the same day on the mountain.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/30/18 6:27 p.m.

About that leaving thing - there's only one road laugh After the last car has run, all the cars head down the hill. Then the viewing areas follow them down. And when all the cars get to the pits, chaos happens as people celebrate or load up or whatever. You will come to a complete stop for an extended period, then crawl slooooooowly down the hill. It can be quite late by the time you get clear.

The only time I've ever overheated my Vanagon brakes was inching down Pike's Peak in traffic.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/30/18 7:52 p.m.

Ol so theoretically I could check off this bucket list event with a rental car and airfare on points.  Riddle me the logistics of this, no clue how tough this would be to work out.

To the googles....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/30/18 8:30 p.m.

It's fairly easy. Here's the minimum.

- get chairs/clothing/food. Everything you will need to survive a day at 10,000' or so with no access to any support. Bring an FM radio.

- arrange to be at the entrance to the road at something like 3 am the morning of the race (google the opening time). I think it closes at 6 am.

- Drive up to a viewing area, preferably Devil's Playground.

- Go back to sleep in your car.

- Wake up, watch the race, hide from the weather, watch the race.

- When the race is over, inch down the hill and escape.

I'd recommend having a hotel planned for the night after the race, simply because it's easier. There are lots around.

If you have some padded time, take Saturday for a trip up to the top as you'll appreciate the course more once you've driven. Stop by Garden of the Gods for ridiculous rock formations. And, well, that's mostly it.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/31/18 9:21 a.m.

In reply to sobe_death :

PM me and we can chat about options. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/31/18 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Great info. Thanks!

Joe Gearin
5/31/18 9:35 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

About that leaving thing - there's only one road laugh After the last car has run, all the cars head down the hill. Then the viewing areas follow them down. And when all the cars get to the pits, chaos happens as people celebrate or load up or whatever. You will come to a complete stop for an extended period, then crawl slooooooowly down the hill. It can be quite late by the time you get clear.

The only time I've ever overheated my Vanagon brakes was inching down Pike's Peak in traffic.

Also the only time I overheated my 87 Cressida's brakes.  Who needs coffee to be alert when you have no brakes heading down from 11K feet!  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/31/18 9:46 a.m.

So we will be taking my friends truck and using low range to get down the mountain... 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/31/18 10:08 a.m.

Remember the whole road is paved now, so low range may not be a good idea if it's conventional 4WD.  It may be stop and go most of the way down, so be prepared for a long run down the hill after the race.  If you can manage it, the practice sessions are really great, the hill is split into three sections and run from 6 am - 9 am the three days before the event.  Good places include the ski area (only a couple of turns) and my favorite, Double Cut between Elk Park and the Ws ( not available on race day except to press).  Not sure if practice sessions are open to the public these days (check the website), I was press for 19 years and looking for good photo locations, not necessarily the same as good viewing locations (i.e. seeing a lot of the course).  For practice you had to be past the start line before 4:30 am, so it's an early deal, but worth researching.  The drivers usually get 4 - 5 runs per practice session, so you get more opportunities to see them..Race day is one run and done.  This info may be a bit out of date, last time I went was 2005, I'm not as interested now that the road is pav ed.  Still a great event, just different from when it was all dirt.

carribine
carribine
2/12/19 7:46 a.m.

Hi, myself and a couple of friends are going to fly out from the U.K. to go to pikes peak this year. Was thinking of getting an airbnb, can anyone recommend the best area of Colorado springs to stay in? Are there any other trips or activities that can be recommended while we are there? Are there any race ticket packages we should look for? 

Thanks in advance 

Ste 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/12/19 7:50 a.m.

I think an RV rental and a trip to Pikes Peak has to be on my bucket list.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/12/19 9:27 a.m.

Feel free to PM me. I'm local now and actually volunteering for the event this year. One thing to watch out for with air bnb is most of the older places don't have AC and can get stuffy there. There are some places at the base of the hill in cascade that I really enjoyed staying at over the years. 

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
2/12/19 9:29 a.m.
carribine said:

Hi, myself and a couple of friends are going to fly out from the U.K. to go to pikes peak this year. Was thinking of getting an airbnb, can anyone recommend the best area of Colorado springs to stay in? Are there any other trips or activities that can be recommended while we are there? Are there any race ticket packages we should look for? 

Thanks in advance 

Ste 

I live in Old Colorado City- on the west side of Colorado Springs- it would be a good place to base out of to watch the race, it's about 15 minutes from the bottom of the hill climb road.  Plenty of stuff to do nearby if you like being outside- Garden of the Gods, 7 falls, tour the Broadmoor and get drunk there. 

My cousin owns this VRBO- it's nice: https://www.vrbo.com/1471288

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w3URcvq9z2bD6Gaa631HpSzMsMym6wRVOKj5O0c22uv8tcuo0B6Z6zkKQbsS3ndu