1 2
triumph5
triumph5 Dork
6/27/11 4:21 p.m.

Thanks for the info on the course; glad to hear it hasn't changed its basic character. Running bikes LAST is ludicrous.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
6/27/11 4:30 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Am I the only one who is excited about this? Anyone? Hello?

Yes.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
6/27/11 6:44 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: Running bikes LAST is ludicrous.

Absolutely- especially when they immediately follow the Open class competitors, who use ALL of the course, and deposit fresh rocks and gravel into the line that the bikes use. On a related note, I watched a guy standing on the outside of the course jump/fall over the edge about 10 feet as one of the Open cars went by. He was okay, though- his system was full of enough cheap beer by that point that he didn't try to break the fall.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/28/11 8:48 a.m.

Race day photos from Rupert are up on the Pikes Peak page. As always, Rupert takes awesome shots. (Don't forget you can order prints at www.rupertberrington.me)

Nice Sticker.

gearheadshirts
gearheadshirts Reader
6/28/11 9:42 a.m.

Come on out to Colorado any time Tom. You can stay at gearhead HQ :)

e_pie
e_pie Reader
6/28/11 9:43 a.m.

Great photos! The wind up at the playground was ridiculous.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/28/11 9:45 a.m.

Thanks for the invite-A trip to Pikes Peak is definitely on my bucket list. I almost stopped (off season, but I'd still like to do it) last year when we went to Flyin' Miata Summer Camp, but we were too close to behind schedule.

Real road trips don't have schedules.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
6/28/11 9:53 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: So, next year it's going to be paved right? Here come the quick times! Next year, the 1205 bike class will be SUPER quick. Unlimited shouldn't be anything less than an ALMS prototype. Am I the only one who is excited about this? Anyone? Hello?

I'm sad to see the dirt go, it was exciting and awesome to watch. But then on the flip side I'm interested to see what they will be able to do with the cars now that it will be all tarmac.

I'm not sure which I feel more strongly about.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
6/28/11 9:53 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Thanks for the invite-A trip to Pikes Peak is definitely on my bucket list. I almost stopped (off season, but I'd still like to do it) last year when we went to Flyin' Miata Summer Camp, but we were too close to behind schedule. Real road trips don't have schedules.

The donuts at the top are not to be missed!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/28/11 10:14 a.m.

Just got back from Pikes Peak last night--awesome race. Can't believe it's been 15 years since I was last there.

We watched from gravel, and I'm still tasting dirt. I'll post some of my pics soon.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
7/2/11 11:34 a.m.

Pics David.

And we got back Wednesday. My girlfriend, Brianne Corn, won AWD Time Attack in our '05 Subaru STi. I was crew chief, but had LOTS of help from our local Subaru shop, AWD Tuning.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/2/11 11:39 a.m.

Some of my pictures: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/staff/David/back-pikes-peak/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGamDdJ1tkXx9ZkL52ms7PoVDQgomZTPCWx79lMvcTAEgZCeGcJJmv2XkL5IkKRJ