thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
4/26/21 12:38 p.m.

I've got a couple spots of missing clear coat on my truck and I'm not sure how to fix them. What's the right way to go about it? I've attached a photo of the main spot below. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/21 12:47 p.m.

Respray is the only way.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
4/26/21 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Like, the whole hood?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/26/21 2:03 p.m.

There are products in a spray can for blending in clear coat repairs. There are vids on youtube that cover clearcoat reapair.

First thing I would do is skim the area in a pinhole putty so that when you sand the clear to blend it in you dont touch the base color; the putty protects the base until the entire area is at the same level. Wipe the remnants off with laquer thiner or acetone. Same as if sanding out a run.

DUP-790-Quick-N-Easy-Clear-Blender

Axalta 790 Quick N Easy Clear Blender

Item#: DUP 790 SC

An easy to use blender developed to improve the appearance of clearcoat blends. It is conveniently packaged in an aerosol can for minimum waste generation and cleanup.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

If you don't want to see that spot ever again, yes. You can blend, but it doesn't work out well on older paint, especially with UV degradation. If you don't want to paint it but are tired of the spots, lightly wet sand the edges to feather it as best you can, then polish the crap out of the bare spot to try and help it blend in. There's also clear coat in a can, but I've never had luck with that stuff actually looking decent. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/26/21 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

The newer 2k clear in a can (that runs $25-30 a can) is legit. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QXMYA31mzkHnp8vG9p6GsJqkymiDwLPOeYnLDEannFUBdb5GVJ4V6Br4WG4cFe1I