Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
6/25/08 6:45 p.m.

Anyone here gonna go to the SOVREN Vintage races at Pacific Raceways this year? This year is the 60th anniversary of Porsche. I think an original 908 is going to be there, and I was told maybe a 917 as well. Vintage stock cars are also being featured along with all the other vintage cars that are there. It's July 4-6 and you get a discount if you buy tickets for all 3 days. $25 for one day, or $40 for all three. According to the website, more than 250 cars were there last year, so it should be pretty cool.

http://www.northwesthistorics.com/

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
6/25/08 10:49 p.m.

There's also the historic races at Portland International as well.

Portland Historics

Celebrating Women in Motorsports.

I'll see if I can hit both events, more than likely I'll make it to Portland's at least, though SIR is a much prettier track to visit.

Stefan

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
6/25/08 11:26 p.m.

Plus I think Pacific Raceways is a more "vintage looking" track than PIR, with the zero runoff areas and all that.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/26/08 5:54 a.m.

I'll probably be there, if only for a day.

Gotta see if I can score a pit pass in exchange for working pit for one of my TR race friends. Two years ago, we were working at all hours to get his car back on the track. We stopped just short of pulling the head off my TR3 to put on his car, but that would have done it, as what we thought was head gasket issues, was a cracked head.

If I'm there, it'll be hanging with the TR3, 4 or TR6 guys most of the time.

Jack

ps - If you have not been there in a while, last summer they paved a lot of the pit area. It's pretty nice.

Monroe
Monroe New Reader
6/26/08 11:43 a.m.

FYI if you own a Miata the local club is going to have a get together on Saturday. They said they also get a lap on the parade track.

http://www.clubmiata.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=295858&item_id=40818

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
6/26/08 1:15 p.m.
Jack wrote: I'll probably be there, if only for a day. Gotta see if I can score a pit pass in exchange for working pit for one of my TR race friends. Two years ago, we were working at all hours to get his car back on the track. We stopped just short of pulling the head off my TR3 to put on his car, but that would have done it, as what we thought was head gasket issues, was a cracked head. If I'm there, it'll be hanging with the TR3, 4 or TR6 guys most of the time. Jack ps - If you have not been there in a while, last summer they paved a lot of the pit area. It's pretty nice.

The website says spectators are all welcome to walk around in the paddock area and check out the cars. Are the pits and paddock different areas? I thought they were the same. I'm looking forward to being able to check out a 917 up close if there's one there. I might have to get an extra SD card to record lots of video and take lots of pictures.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/26/08 2:11 p.m.

To me, pit/paddock; mean the same thing. It's all wide open for spectators to walk around, talk with drivers, take pictures, etc.

My son, now 13, is knowledgable about cars and asks a lot of questions. He frequently gets invited to sit in all sorts of cars by their owners. it's KEWL!

Jack

ps - The hot pit is an entirely different animal.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 New Reader
6/26/08 5:36 p.m.
Ryan9118 wrote: Plus I think Pacific Raceways is a more "vintage looking" track than PIR, with the zero runoff areas and all that.

True, but Pacific isn't 20 minutes from my house, and PIR is, so I will most likely be at the Portland event. Some year I would like to make it up to the Seattle event, but this year I've got other plans that weekend. Have fun if you go, and give us a report on how it goes!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/26/08 5:58 p.m.

Ah, but pacific is 15 minutes from my house.

Enjoy PIR. It's also a neat track.

Jack

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 New Reader
7/10/08 3:47 p.m.

So how was last weekend? Did everyone have a good time? I guess my dad went with some friends. I haven't talked to him, but Mom said he keeps going on about some Imp he saw there.

I can't wait for this weekend!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
7/10/08 5:15 p.m.

And for those of you on the eastern side of the US.. , ...the Pittsburgh Vintage begins this weekend.

~Click Here For More Info~

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/10/08 6:18 p.m.

I totally forgot about this...I might still try to make it to PIR Sunday.

Bryce

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/11/08 10:03 a.m.
Nashco wrote: I totally forgot about this...I might still try to make it to PIR Sunday. Bryce

I have to laugh. Wife, kids, Honey-do list, did I mention Kids, all conspired and I forgot too. I, however, won't attempt to make it to PIR. I am trying to work out a day or two for the vitage event at The Glen in Sept, as I have to be in Hartford around that time anyway. I have a pit pass reserved, I just need to convince SWMBO that it's a good thing.

Jack Seattle

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/11/08 11:59 a.m.

I saw tons of trailers out at PIR last night and checked out the registered cars...I definitely need to make it out on Sunday, looks like a good time!

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/13/08 10:56 p.m.

Some very awesome cars out today. It was flippin' hot, I think this sunburn is going to stick! Did anybody else go? There was an autocross in the infield also, I only saw a few cars that were going through quickly, so I assume it was just a car club (rather than a competitive event like SCCA). This was my first vintage event, I really enjoyed it, I spent more time checking out the cars in the pits and taking pictures than I did actually watching the racing. I could hear them from the pits, that was the best part of the racing...the sound. :)

Bryce

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
7/14/08 12:28 a.m.

I was there on Saturday, had a great time! Sitting in the bleachers near the chicane there was a nice breeze, so even though it was 92, it wasn't bad.

Sunday was "cooler" but very little air movement meant that you felt all 88 of those degrees.

The Autocross was put on by HMSA (Historic Motor Sports Association) so yeah it was just a fun event to put on just to get people some visibility into more forms of auto-racing.

I thought it was pretty cool that they gave 2-lap rides around the track for $20/person in between the track sessions. Must have been fun in the BMW's, Porsche's and even a GTI. The girlfriend wasn't as impressed, she stated "If I'm going to pay $20 for a couple of laps, I'd better be driving." Yeah well I doubt they'd just turn over the keys to a brand new M3 or Cayman S to any old person.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
7/14/08 4:08 a.m.

I went to the Historics at Pacific Raceways on a Saturday. It was pretty cool. Great weather when we got there. About 70 degrees and overcast, but humid so it felt good outside. There was a 917 there, but unfortunately it was just getting on track when I got there, so I missed getting to see it up close. When we were in line to get tickets I did see the top of it going by on the straight, and atleast got to hear it. It sounded awesome. So did the 935 K3. He'd fly by in what I'm guessing was 4th, and then as he went into the distance, grab 5th. As the engine wound down, you could just hear the turbo behind the engine note. I've heard it so many times in recordings, but it sounds so much better in person.

The first few races were pretty cool. We got to see Historic small/large bore, and then I think Vintage large bore before it started to rain. It poured for a little bit, stopped, and then rained on and off for the rest of the day. The racing was pretty slow after that, and I don't blame them. There was standing water on some parts of the track, and it's not worth it to put your 6-digit vintage race car into the wall. It stopped raining by the time the "exhibition class" was supposed to come back out. I was really stoked to see it because there was going to be a Ferrari 512M, and I was hoping the 917 would come back out with it. They didn't, probably because the track was damp. Neither did the 935 K3. I did get to see a ex-Jackie Stewart Tyrell F1 car from 1971 come out though. It was super fast and sounded awesome. There was also a 906 or 908 out there.

I was going to go back on Sunday and hang out all day, but I ended up staying home to watch the F1 race. It was kind of a E36 M3 race, so I should've gone back to the track. Oh well, there's always next year. BTW, the 917 that was at the track was the #20 car that was filmed in "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen. Pretty cool to see in person.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0HvfEDGH1T9T7Ix7hSiU006wlaYN00fr1Y8YHZygsja8rLTz325Wj8G5MzSgyUKh