1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/20/10 8:15 p.m.
Keven wrote: Nope and nope, not with this vinyl at least.....unless I am doing it wrong.

The lady that runs the upholstery shop two doors down from me has arms like Popeye. Having watched her a couple of times, you have to pull the crap out of the stuff to get it to form. Heat and pull, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat until it does what you want. She's got to be in her 50s, but I wouldn't want to arm wrestle her.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
9/20/10 9:37 p.m.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/al4stvi.html

Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl. This stuff stretches like crazy.

Keven
Keven New Reader
9/20/10 10:28 p.m.

Cool stuff ditchdigger. Wish it wasn't metallic. Any similar materials that look more like a simulated grey leather?

Keven
Keven New Reader
9/20/10 10:32 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Its a cardboard door card from a MKIV jetta. I tried heating the vinyl I have (simulated leather type from JoAnns Fabrics) and it hardly helps stretch wise and just deforms the surface.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/21/10 7:52 p.m.

What I did was make it with a couple pieces stitched together at the edges and corners, then heat, stretch and contact cement.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
9/21/10 9:24 p.m.

Wow, this thread is awesome. I really want to do this just to try it out.

Keven
Keven New Reader
10/3/10 7:58 a.m.
Keven wrote:

Well I ended up buying some Whisper vinyl from yourautotrim because it looked nice and the lady said it was stretchy. It actually isnt THAT stretchy but its better then the last stuff I bought. Any tips before I try this again? Do I want the stretch to go lengthwise or up and down the door card?

Keven
Keven New Reader
10/3/10 8:16 a.m.

Also, can I apply this contact cement by brush or do I have to use a HVLP? I have access to both but I think for this situation a brush may be easier.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/3/10 11:51 a.m.

Brush will be fine. I have been covering door cards, dashes and tolexing guitar amps that way for years. spraying it on is easier if you do it a lot but the time you save spraying will be lost in cleaning up the gun afterwards.

Just made a new dash pad for my fiat since the original was long gone. I based it on this picture and measurments from my car. Photobucketsrc="http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq313/ditch_digger/fiat/dash8.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Some 1/8" birch plywood routed, drilled, bent and glued to shape Photobucket

Weldwood contact cement brushed on and cheap fabric store vinyl stretched over Photobucket Photobucket

All done Photobucket

Keven
Keven New Reader
10/3/10 12:24 p.m.

Awesome! Thats what I was thinking with the brush. Plus this will be easier to glue a little at a time and work my way out. What way should the vinyl stretch on the door card?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/3/10 3:30 p.m.

For something like that you are going to have to stretch it in all directions. Let the vinyl tumble around in the dryer for 10 minutes to warm it up prior to getting to work. I would start in the area you have indicated and work my way out in all directions in small increments. Do not bother trying to only glue one area at a time, that is a recipe for bubbles and flaws that will irritate you. apply the glue all over both pieces and let it dry until just slightly tacky. once it touches itself it will bond like crazy. You will need another person to help hold the areas you aren't working with up so they wont stick where you don't want them to or wrinkle.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zn2591MkSHRCO83aFt5hOmtzm1pvQpdgIz5qnFtXf9X9pOcy1zj3HwHRmSrRxPmY