1 2 3
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/18/21 7:49 a.m.

So Ive noticed something around the triad area of NC (Winston, Greensboro, High Point etc) - cars that make a very annoying POPing noise when they lift the throttle.

Both NA and turbo cars, they'll get on the gas for a moment (like two seconds) and then they lift and there are about 4-7 pops as, Im assuming, it's dumping too much fuel in/rich and the unburnt is hitting the exhaust?

Yall got these fools in your area?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/21 8:03 a.m.

Rich tune + restrictive exhaust that holds in a lot of heat, and unburned fuel from rich tune = lots of pops and bangs on decel fuel cutoff, or tip-in lean spike, as oxygen hits the hot fuel stuck in the exhaust.

Mostly it's a bad tune or bad exhaust or both.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
9/18/21 8:47 a.m.

Yes, it's intentional, not just a"bad tune."  There's an automotive trend currently to add a "crackle tune" or "pop tune" - it sounds much worse than a little overrun or what have you and every POS car in the world currently has it. 

Pepe
Pepe New Reader
9/18/21 8:56 a.m.

My track car does that. Sounds like a drive-by shooting every time I lift.

A few cars that drive around here also sound like that. They are never nice cars.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
9/18/21 9:01 a.m.

Around here it's mostly the Audi and MB guys. Yeah, it's annoying. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
9/18/21 9:04 a.m.

Happening here too, quite annoying. The millions of Dodge Chargers on the road are all doing it. 

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
9/18/21 9:32 a.m.

some Mini Cooper s do that stock if you're in sport mode. Mine does don't care one way or the other for it

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
9/18/21 9:34 a.m.

Just an occasionally bang or pop isn't these super annoying tunes, it's continuous.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
9/18/21 9:34 a.m.

Some OEMs tune a crackle in their exhaust, Jaguar F-type comes to mind. I'm guessing this is more of a real backfire POP-POP.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/18/21 9:49 a.m.

My e36 started doing it when I installed a new muffler. I like the one little pop on downshift here and there.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/21 9:51 a.m.

These "tunes" are in no way like a factory burble. They sound cool. For about 5 seconds.  I couldn't imagine living with that for miles every day.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/18/21 9:52 a.m.

Whoever is doing crackle/pop tunes in the Willamette Valley is really, really bad at it. 

There are a lot of them running around and most sound like they have m80's going off in thr muffler.  I do not understand how it isn't damaging something. 

I really enjoy a nice crackle on downshifts, I drive cars with DCOEs regularly.  I like the way a 500 Abarth does it. The cars in the street though, several orders of magnitude louder and it isn't musical or engaging.  It is just very loud bangs.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/18/21 9:55 a.m.
buzzboy said:

My e36 started doing it when I installed a new muffler. I like the one little pop on downshift here and there.

You have a leak in your exhaust.

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/18/21 9:56 a.m.

Blame rally cars. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/18/21 10:27 a.m.

The 6th generation camaros do it. The early ones do it a little, in 19 or 20 they changed the tune to do it even more.

It doesn't bother me too much. When I'm screwing around I enjoy it, but I can put it in stealth and not hear the exhaust at all, so I don't have to deal with it if I don't want

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/18/21 11:03 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

Yes, it's intentional, not just a"bad tune." 

It’s both.

Whats funny is that bike guys will often do practically anything to stop their bikes from doing the same thing 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/18/21 11:12 a.m.

<raises hand> I drive an uncorked Focus RS. It's handy when some hill-jack on a Harley parks his E36 M3 two inches from your bumper at a red light, and the kiddos love driving through overpasses now. Also serves as a handy alarm to the "Urban Outdoorsmen" to let them know it's time to get up & go to work. To each their own. I'm twelve.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/21 11:12 a.m.
Junghole said:

Blame rally cars. 

.... which don't do that anymore, since they have air recirculation antilag and can also play direct-injection fuel cutoff tricks, instead of the thirty year old "jack throttle, add fuel, retard timing to 40ATDC" bang-bang antilag.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/18/21 11:18 a.m.
Trent said:

There are a lot of them running around and most sound like they have m80's going off in thr muffler.  I do not understand how it isn't damaging something. 

The cats can't be too happy about it. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/18/21 12:07 p.m.

This morning, for example, it was a Focus RS that went up and down main st (9am lol). Max speed - 20mph.

Gives gas for a brief moment, you hear the BOV, and then half a dozen loud pops.

This isnt like a Jag or some high end/fast car that crackles a bit, this is VERY loud and continues. Nothing like the camaro video posted above

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/18/21 12:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Junghole said:

Blame rally cars. 

.... which don't do that anymore, since they have air recirculation antilag and can also play direct-injection fuel cutoff tricks, instead of the thirty year old "jack throttle, add fuel, retard timing to 40ATDC" bang-bang antilag.

Right, but how many of the millennials know that now?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/18/21 12:23 p.m.

There's a Fiesta ST and some Audi sedan in my neighborhood that are like that.  Way more obnoxious than the stock tune on my Abarth when I had it.

Pepe
Pepe New Reader
9/18/21 12:38 p.m.

My Abarth rarely pops. Only if lifting suddenly from full throttle, and even then it is just one or two pops. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
9/18/21 2:02 p.m.

This is very common in my area, and taken way too far in most cases. Not a couple subtle pops like the factory tunes, but full anti-lag bangs all the way down the street. Enough to make Harley guys blush. I have two problems with this.

1) It's berkeleying rude to drive through a residential area at 3am making all that berkeleying noise. 

2) These shiny happy people are begging for a crackdown just like the coal roller shiny happy people got, and the rest of us responsible enthusiasts that like to tune our cars will be caught in the cross hairs. 

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
9/18/21 2:27 p.m.

Lots better than the squatted trucks around here. Most of them have the no muffler crack exhaust also. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tvuQI1ee73dzbJGjYeo6GtlsC88L3r6MEXKEMtzXwxOICLaBQigo1wWjzPbIHQCi