1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/29/11 10:27 a.m.

if only those seats had more side bolstering.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
4/29/11 1:21 p.m.

I just read through the build log and love your car. It's inspired me on the color, I love it. I want something similar, but maybe a bit brighter, for a project now.

Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
4/29/11 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Luke:

Actually the 14" steelies were by no means puny to me, I was fine with the size/width, in the end they just weren't my first choice for the car. Originally those wheels and some surplus 14" tires Keith had in the garage were on the build sheet, but as things progressed I found that while silver/black steelies could be pulled off by some vintage cars (because they were originally magnesium wheels) but on this Miata they looked like snow tires that weren't taken off (I live in Canada). Next was white (or blue) painted steelies which would have solved that aesthetic issue but I didn't find they worked with my vision for this project. I also considered chromed steelies but that would have taken some extra coordination and add even more weight.

I think if I had gone steelies I would have eventually changed them to the 2L Fuchs since they were my first choice, and Keith rightly pointed out that since I had come under budget in almost every area I might as well ensure that I went the distance now. One benefit is that the Fuchs are as light as any normal Miata wheel, so the steering is still as agile as ever.

Now my next build, I'll start with white steelies from the start and work from there.

Ottawa

Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
4/29/11 1:40 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: if only those seats had more side bolstering.

For additional side bolstering all I need to do is remove the bottom cushion or just pull all the foam and add an inch of memory foam and a little fabric. You can see the options here:

Ottawa

Ottawa
Ottawa New Reader
4/29/11 1:45 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I just read through the build log and love your car. It's inspired me on the color, I love it. I want something similar, but maybe a bit brighter, for a project now.

Thanks, Keith and I spent a long time on the colour. For sure it could be brighter, but I was purposely going for one of those muted gray-heavy colours that looks vintage to me.

BTW if it wasn't a Porsche code it probably would have been a Jag colour, pulled from this great reference site:

XKE Data - Catalog - Colors - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register

Ottawa

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
4/29/11 7:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: if only those seats had more side bolstering.

A friend let me co-drive his 914 in an autocross a few years ago. He just removed the bottom cushion and laid a small terry towel in it's place. It worked surprisingly well. Sure wouldn't want to drive cross country with it that way, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N3u9QQVkEl6pQyX2YkvAec1oqHGvRn56DvusFmxnXvCybdQ7zTXFArGThCcug1rw