Weav65
Weav65 None
12/29/12 7:21 p.m.

Hello all. My friends and I are in the process of removing the engine from a Porsche 944 Turbo. We have succeeded in removing the engine from the car, and are trying to mount it to an engine stand. We are having trouble removing the clutch housing cover so that we can mount the engine to the stand. Here is what we have done so far:

-We removed the clutch housing bolts and tried to pull back on the housing. It came off the engine about 1.5" and then would not come off any further.

-Stymied, we then read the procedure for removing the clutch housing.

-We then bolted the clutch housing back in place.

-We then removed the clutch release lever retaining bolt, as the procedure states.

Our problem is that the procedure calls for a 150 mm long bolt that is used to move the clutch release lever out of place, but we are only able to put a bolt about 0.5" into the hole to remove the release lever. When we tried pulling the lever out of the way as described in our procedure, nothing moved.

We would love any guidance on how to resolve our issue. I have also added a link with the pictures of the area where we are working.

http://imgur.com/a/68eR5#95iJc

Speedjw
Speedjw New Reader
12/29/12 7:40 p.m.

You forgot to pull the clutch release lever pivot pin. Thread a M8x1.25 bolt to the end of the clutch fork pin (down and to the right from lock bolt), pull pin out using vice grips and hammer.

Also, don't forget to remove the reference sensors (top left).

With those out the bellhousing will come right off.

Weav65
Weav65 New Reader
12/29/12 8:40 p.m.

Thanks. We had already removed the lever pin, but we have since got the release lever pivot shaft out of the way and the clutch housing came off easily. We discovered that there is an inspection port on the opposite side of where the pin comes out. We used the male end of a 12" long 3/8"drive ratchet extension and a hammer. About 5 or 6 good hit with the hammer and the lever pin came right out.

Again, thank you very much for the help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mkajpqwVfJTUy7X4vTfDyeZZCyMjgLveEAVg8A7JQq3oiTqaeoLhcwQGd4B3Mq97