manladypig
manladypig Reader
7/8/21 3:47 p.m.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1Iv0vMoHxrE?feature=share

Some of you may have seen that i recently acquired this 944. I did some basic maintenance stuff, spark plugs, oil, etc. when i got the car other than that I haven't done much other than drive it. I dont know much about these cars either but I've been learning.

So yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden power dropped off. It then proceeded to run like a 60s muscle car, chopping down the road with barely any power. I made it back home but that's how the car sits as of right now. The car struggles to start unless I hold the revs as soon as it starts. It will idle sometimes but as you'll see in the video above it doesn't sound great. Towards the end of the video is when it really starts chopping. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/8/21 4:03 p.m.

Did you change the timing belt yet (not necessarily the cause, but kinda important to do sooner than later)? That seems like a vacuum leak to me, check the J-boot and anything you can easily reach to start. Under the intake manifold is the idle control valve and associated hoses, I would check there and see if you can notice any obvious breaks or cracks. Could also be a clogged fuel filter maybe. Also, maybe its just the video, but something (alt, AC clutch?) sounds like a bearing is about to die. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/8/21 4:23 p.m.

This might have some tips for ya:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-01.htm

manladypig
manladypig Reader
7/8/21 10:52 p.m.

In reply to TR7 (Forum Supporter) :

Alright update, did some digging but i decided the injectors were my problem. So I took them out and tested them all outside the car. They all clicked so I cleaned them by pressurizing some carb cleaner in one side and clicking them with some voltage. After reinstalling them the car runs just like normal! Im honestly suprised it worked, but running like normal means there is still some noises here and there so there is more work to do but for now its perfectly drivable. 

and yes that bearing sound was definitely the alternator. I first noticed it while making that video, but since the car is back to running good it doesn't seem to make the sound anymore? I'll still look into getting a new one soon

Ive also heard about the timing belt so thats definitely next on my list

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wm2q2lDXiISiYuMOwkgl63rPKooSbS4N6YrFQZu4bbDyih76gScVSenJ9Q9Cd9y3