1 2 3
D2W
D2W Reader
12/14/15 6:09 p.m.

I didn't understand what all the fuss was about until I drove one. (air-cooled) Its a driver's car, and once you drive it you understand. There are many other drivers cars so I don't know if its a must have. My personal plan is to buy a iconic car brand. Drive it for a year or two, or less if I don't like it. Then sell it and buy the next one on the list so I can experience what all the fuss is about. Porsche, BMW, corvette, maybe even Ferrari.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
12/14/15 6:51 p.m.

I will agree with others about getting seat time in an AC 911. Good or bad, it is an iconic automotive experience. Personally, after 2 years of AC 911 ownership, I am ready to move on but the sights, smells, sounds, and feel of the car will stick with me.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/14/15 7:06 p.m.

I've driven my neighbors 914, 911, 944 track car, and Boxster. They wer definitely fun to drive even at 8/10ths. I have also helped him maintain the over the years so I won't be buying one myself.

Same applies to the Alfa Romeo I bought as my first car out of college. Fun to drive; a bitch to maintain. That's why I only kept it for 1 1/2 years.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
12/14/15 8:05 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote:
porschenut wrote: And if you have one you need to use it on the track. Otherwise you are a poser, loser and missing your fun parts.
Hah, this is my dad!. He has owned a Porsche of one sort or another for most of his life. He just bought himself a brand new 981 Boxter S, the quickest and fastest car he has ever owned and just like all the P cars he has had, I'm quite certain that it will never see 100% WOT, or the red line. Has has had several Miatas as well, and drove them the same way. I just bought his 2003 Miata LS off him, 116,000 miles and still on the factory installed brakes and clutch. The car is so physically perfect it litterally still looks showroom new. THAT is no way to enjoy two of the finest handling cars ever built.

It doesn't matter how the owner drives it, or if they just stare at it in their garage. As long as it makes them happy, that is all that matters.

Buy the car you want that will make you happy..who cares what anyone else thinks or says?

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
12/14/15 8:08 p.m.

I've driven a late 70's 911 Targa and a late 2000's Cayman. Neither made me want to buy one but that doesn't mean I'd rule out all P cars. I'd like to try a 914-6 one day...

Buy something you love that drives the way you want it. That makes it all worth it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
igVfyS86TfXMXDt9eVVnMxU8CLXhRC8XivRiePyc5f2mNY0FA0YZmjO6x4EiFPuo