1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/30/10 3:16 p.m.

We've got a new project update on David's Porsche. He seems to be enjoying the car without much in the way of modifications, but that makes sense for purebred cars like his Porsche.

Check out the latest update

What cars do you love box stock? Is there anything that's a sacred, un-mod-able cow?

EvanB
EvanB Dork
7/30/10 3:18 p.m.

I enjoy my WRX without any modifications but that doesn't mean I won't mod it once funds allow

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
7/30/10 3:26 p.m.

To me, nothing is sacred.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
7/30/10 3:50 p.m.

If less then 100 or so were built, I wouldn't modify it but otherwise I would modify away.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/30/10 3:52 p.m.

Ultra low production or historical significance.. then again, usually that would mean I could sell it and modify something else much further for my money.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
7/30/10 3:53 p.m.

I belong to a VW club which has the motto "why restore it to its former shortcomings when you can modify it to it's full potential"

That about sums it up for me.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader

Nothing much is sacred to me, I have thoughts of building an LS1 powered Maserati Merak. About the only thing I wouldn't modify would be something like an Lancia Stratos or something equally rare.

scardeal
scardeal Reader

Ferraris will probably do with just a tire change.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/30/10 3:54 p.m.

I enjoy upgrading a car. My lancia, as rare as it is anymore.. will see some modifications.. mostly from the Fiat/Lancia family tree.

there will be, however, no cutting of sheetmetal or anything else that cannot be undone

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/10 7:17 p.m.

Porsches are interesting, as there's a zillion ways to mod them. To be honest, this one works pretty well nearly stock. It's also an original paint car in an interesting color. I have a mods planned, but they're going to fall under the subtle heading--like the ducktail. (Speaking of subtle, those wheels aren't stock, either, but no one seems to notice.)

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/30/10 7:41 p.m.

limited production/historical significance. But even a lot of those cars have subtle mods or fixes because there's no way to stay original or there's tweaks under the skin. I would keep a maserati ghibli pretty stock though.

Ever notice most of the activities off-track in a porsche sound sorta pretentious (yes, there's plenty of down to earth porsche drivers) but...went to a wine tasting in a private hangar and trucked in a ... instead of flogged em on the back road and stopped for a beer and some brats. I'm guessing it's the demographic - in the way-back machine when I sold them - the median income for a 911 owner was $250k. I'd guess double that or more by now.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/30/10 7:55 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: I belong to a VW club which has the motto "why restore it to its former shortcomings when you can modify it to it's full potential" That about sums it up for me.

ROFL! So true. OTOH, I also have one Corrado mostly stock, and one modded out. Isn't having two of them when one will do the Grassroots way?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/30/10 8:06 p.m.

I wouldn't irreversibly mod most cars. Bolt ons are fine-just don't throw out/sell the original stuff if its rare....but if its rotted/wrecked to the point it wouldn't survive without modding I'd hack away. Still want a 93LE Miata even though I have half of one now (interior in my '96), but I'd never cut one.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
7/30/10 8:08 p.m.

My WRX is almost stock. The only significant change was a fatter rear sway bar.

Oh, and a front skid plate. I love dirt.

David S. Wallens
7/30/10 8:16 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
JThw8 wrote: I belong to a VW club which has the motto "why restore it to its former shortcomings when you can modify it to it's full potential" That about sums it up for me.
ROFL! So true. OTOH, I also have one Corrado mostly stock, and one modded out. Isn't having two of them when one will do the Grassroots way?

As a guy who has two B16A-powered Hondas, I guess I can relate. By the way, one of them received a roll bar yesterday. That counts as a modification, right?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/30/10 8:16 p.m.

I do not believe that any original parts of any kind should be left when I am done.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
7/30/10 9:06 p.m.

My 750Li works prefect for it's intended purpose - gracefully wafting the family to and fro - as well as blasting down the highway at high speed when I'm late and carving corners like no 2 ton plus car has a right to do. The only mods are super subtle - LED license plate lights, upgraded floor mats. There's nothing substantive I'd change about it.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/30/10 9:51 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: We've got a new project update on David's Porsche. He seems to be enjoying the car without much in the way of modifications, but that makes sense for purebred cars like his Porsche. Check out the latest update What cars do you love box stock? Is there anything that's a sacred, un-mod-able cow?

Blower Bently

Jay
Jay Dork
7/31/10 3:16 a.m.

I have no real desire to modify the Elan, I figure I couldn't do a better job than Lotus so why start changing it? So no plans for mods.

Oh yeah, but I added a rollbar. And I want to upgrade the brakes, those suck. And some of the interior trim. And the sound system. And change the colour. And maybe plunk a boost chip in for more powah. Oh E36 M3...

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
7/31/10 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

What the... looks like one of the hotter BMW inline 6's, behind a narrowed 3rd gen Camaro front facia? You building an M-IROC?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/31/10 1:22 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: What the... looks like one of the hotter BMW inline 6's, behind a narrowed 3rd gen Camaro front facia? You building an M-IROC?

Well... you know how sometimes you are sitting around at the track after a long hot day of driving hard and the beer seems exceptionally cold and delicious and... somebody says... What do you think is the perfect track car?

I said... A 2000lb, 300hp E30 with decent aero and room for 12" slicks underneath.

When I sobered up... half the damn thing was in my garage. I'm just seeing it thru :)

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
7/31/10 1:32 p.m.

Snork, I like the way you think, even if you don't call it the M-IROC.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
7/31/10 2:41 p.m.

My camaro is a daily driver and has more than enough power to get me in trouble. It only gets basic maintenance.

My Fairlane is a undesirable sedan so I can changed the engine, brakes, interior, etc. I enjoy doing the work and I can make it exactly what I want without ruining some rare piece of history.

David S. Wallens
7/31/10 4:23 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I do not believe that any original parts of any kind should be left when I am done.

That kinda looks like the last of the V8s.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/31/10 4:51 p.m.

hmmm... how many car related projects started with too much beer?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGA9GK7W4U2yycNrWs2UoltzGs1yKuoY3ak8QNArvxTMFe7eTPloKwWkkoeR3xUy