1 2 3
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/14/19 10:51 p.m.

I would have never thought of one, but torque, plus wagon, plus 6 speed sounds appealing. Especially if you can haggle them down into the $7-8k range. Has anyone seen one sell that cheaply?  Around here they’re still in th $14k range.  Not a bad price per se, but not quite low enough to put it high in the radar. 

-Rob

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
5/15/19 4:16 a.m.

I picked up a CPO 12' Sportwagen DSG and panoramic roof with 61k, a month ago for $9.2k.  I commute 130 miles round trip a day.  I love the car, its roomy enough for a car seat and dogs.   Once the warranty is up, it will be getting a Rawtek delete kit and a Malone tune.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
5/15/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to JesseWolfe :

I have both on my 2012 Jetta sedan. You will love it!  50+ mpg's on the highway, if you keep your foot out of it. No need to downshift out of 6th when passing, just give yourself a bit of room to spool up the turbo and you're passed the slower vehicle.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/15/19 10:56 a.m.

I am going to show the wife some of these tonight.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/15/19 11:20 a.m.

How bad will the resale be when the 2 year VW warranty is gone ,?

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
5/15/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Probably not good.  As it is you can't get one newer then 15', so the newest of them are 4-5 years old already.  Prices as they are, are already very low.

Mine had 61k on it when I bought it, and I put on an average of 40k a year on a car just commuting to work.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/15/19 12:11 p.m.

We tend to keep cars until they are worthless anyway.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/15/19 12:38 p.m.

Where does one find these cars?

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
5/15/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Every VW dealer website I've seen has a CPO TDi section full of post-dieselgate cars.  The dealer I went to said he gets 35+ TDi cars a week, and only sells 20-25 of them, so they are stacking up.

10001110101 New Reader
5/15/19 2:23 p.m.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these. The dealer around the corner from my house has 7 of them on the lot right now, and they are a Buick/GMC dealer. 40,000 miles for 12k sounds pretty appealing.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/15/19 2:49 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

In reply to spitfirebill :

Every VW dealer website I've seen has a CPO TDi section full of post-dieselgate cars.  The dealer I went to said he gets 35+ TDi cars a week, and only sells 20-25 of them, so they are stacking up.

So they're still in the process of fixing these and putting them out on lots? I was wondering if this might be something you'd need to jump on right away before they're all gone, or if it is only mid-cycle and they will continue to stack up and get cheaper? I've only checked a couple CarFax reports but those I've checked have been on the lot for ~1-2 months.

Dealers must hate these cars, probably little to no profit in them and VW is unloading them like crazy, plus they've been sitting for a year plus, so all need heavy detailing (look at engine pics in ads and you can tell).

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
5/15/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH :

My best guess is this reintroduction of the TDi cars is that it's been going a year strong, at least.  I started looking for a TDi spring of 2018 after I bought my new house ( 63 miles from work ), for financial reasons I waited until April this year to buy one.  But I kept an eye out on a monthly basis just to stay updated on prices and availability.  My understanding is VW had to contract out modifying many cars to BMW to keep the backlog down.

My car ( if this is an indication of downtime)  was inspected in January and I bought it in April.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
5/15/19 4:29 p.m.

We got our 2011 DSG last month with 60k miles on it which is still covered under the extended VW diesel warranty for 10 years and an additional bumper to bumper warranty through Ally for $8,900. Friend I bought it from had already installed a stiffer trans mount plus a tune on the engine and DSG. So far excellent car for the money.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/15/19 10:00 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I'll probably have to put a sticker on the back that tells people it's fixed or I'll get angry glances and chewed out around here. 

Man, literally zero people in this area would care one way or the other (or even notice a VW Jetta, Golf, or Passat at all, for that matter...or even a GTI, really)

Just take off the TDI badge, lol....

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
5/16/19 11:42 a.m.
CyberEric said:

. I'll probably have to put a sticker on the back that tells people it's fixed or I'll get angry glances and chewed out around here. 

You have the opposite problem I do.  I’d have to make it fast, obnoxiously loud, and capable of rolling copious amounts of coal not to get angry glances around here.  A MAGA sticker would help too.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
5/16/19 12:06 p.m.

Interesting.  There are 25 of these at the VW dealership close to us.  Ask is $14k for a '13 Jetta Wagons with around 40k miles, up to $16k for '14's with 20k or less.

I'm about to drop $2k on our 2011 Outback with 103k miles to replace a bunch of the worn out suspension bits.  That kind of expense engages my automotive ADD and a Jetta Wagon would be a good kid hauler.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
5/16/19 12:15 p.m.

Don't know where you are located, but I just picked up a manual version with 27k miles for $12,500 yesterday. You may be able to get them down a bit more on price.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
5/16/19 12:46 p.m.

Good timing on reviving this thread.  I randomly checked last week and saw my local dealers have at least a dozen (each) TDI buybacks.  The CPO Jetta sportwagens are in the $12k to $15k range, some even with 6MT.  The TDI jettas are even cheaper. That's a smoking deal for the CPO w/2 year warranty.  I'd be hesitant to buy one that wasn't CPO...do some web crawling on VW high-pressure fuel pump failure. A dealer repair cost was/is in the thousands.  Apparently, they can fail and pollute the whole fuel system w/metal fragments.  I nearly bought a CPO TDI right before the buy-back happened...but with the miles I drive, the warranty would have been gone pretty quickly...and Diesels tend to be more expensive to fix, and more difficult to find independent mechanics.   

Going +600 miles between fill-ups would be a nice benefit though.  The wall of torque and absurd fuel economy was impressive.  I recall reading article siting Mazda officials saying they wouldn't launch a diesel car until they could match the economy, emissions,  and driving dynamics of VW w/out a urea spray on the exhaust.  Turns out  VW couldn't either (without cheating).

I drive a '17 Alltrack 6MT, it's a base-level "s" car.  Essentially a lifted Sportwagen w/a few additional features (vinyl interior, heated seats, etc).   I've done 50k miles in <2 years and have averaged 30mph (mostly highway @ 75mph).  I did have a CV joint fail already, but it was replaced under warranty. I'm keeping it stock as long as it's covered under my warranty (72k miles).

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/17/19 9:02 a.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH :

Hey CobraSpdRH shoot me a private message from the board, I tried sending one to you but it bounced back.

former520
former520 HalfDork
5/17/19 11:02 p.m.

I bought a '12 Sportwagen, Pano, DSG, Tech pack, 17" wheels with 113k for $7k.  Maybe could have bought better, but needed a car.  I bought it from an VW- Audi- Porsche tuning shop that also sells some cars.  They have a lot of the A5 and A7 TDIs currently.

Mileage has been mid 30s overall.  Have not had a tank at or above 40 yet in 6k since I purchased.  Only issue I had from sitting was it needed new tires, tread was OK, but a little old.  

The 4/ 50 warranty will cover the HPFP and anything else fuel touches.  There have been a couple that had issues due to mold in the tank from sitting (super rare) and VW replaced tanks, lines, pumps, injectors, everything, without issue.  I am not modding this thing before warrranty runs out for that reason.

Size wise by 5 and 11 year old are good with back seat.  Wagon is great for storage in back.  The torque is nice because you don't have to pick between AC or acceleration like a lot of other 30+ mpg cars.  It definitely drops of in the RPMs for power, it is like the exact opposite of the G37 it replaced.  Loved that car, but it bogged fierce in low RPMs, especially in the AZ summer heat.  

10001110101 New Reader
5/18/19 7:33 p.m.
10001110101 said:

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these. The dealer around the corner from my house has 7 of them on the lot right now, and they are a Buick/GMC dealer. 40,000 miles for 12k sounds pretty appealing.

Bought one today. 2014 Golf TDI with DSG. 40k miles, talked them down to $11,900.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/22/19 10:01 a.m.

Update: Going to look at some of these over the next few days, maybe strike a deal before the Memorial Day weekend craziness ensues.

I am sticking with a manual, just seems like it will be more fun to drive than a DSG. Also only going CPO for the 2-yr unlimited mileage warranty. I am considering the Jetta Sportwagen, the Golf 4 door and even the Passat SE if I stumble across one with a manual.

We'll see what happens!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/22/19 11:31 a.m.

3.0 v6 touaregs are included in this...  hmm..  405 ft-lb of torque.....

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/9/19 9:36 p.m.

I'm still thinking about these.  For those of you with one or have driven them, how "fun" is a 6-speed diesel?  It would be my everyday car.  Typical commute (15 miles or so), plenty of freeway trips (Texas is a big place), taking coworkers to lunch, etc.  I would have never considered one f it wasn't for this thread and board, but I like to be able to have fun, too.  Does the diesel/wagon combo kill the tossability/fun factor?  Are they just some suspension and wheel change away from a GTI wagon type of fun?  I'd probably do a chip after the warranty runs out, but could do wheels/tires and suspension any time.

-Rob

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
6/10/19 10:10 a.m.

I ended up visiting a local dealership and could tell pretty quickly that the Jetta wagon was going to be too small for me (I'm 6'2", wife is 5'10" and we have a 2-year old). I did test drive a Passat as they had a lot more space and, being someone who has never driven a diesel before, I thought it had good "oomph" to get you around town on a commute. Don't expect anything more than the "oomph" from the lower RPMs though, as obviously there is no top end to be found.

Also, the Jetta Sportwagen is based on the Golf/GTi structure, so the sportiness is just some wheels/suspension away. You can find a Matt Farah "One Take" of a modified JSW on YouTube.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RU2zhPKco9ooxM65SbfyGXGP3HBPcYzahaDLIKbQccbt3AuiSZAVUfUOC6c8X8hR