84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/30/18 5:10 p.m.

Hey all - gonna use a buddies powder setup and wondered what powder sellers and brands are recommended by the hive?

I’m looking at powder for wheels in either bright silver metallic or gun metal metallic.  A buddy is lending his time and resources so I thought I’d snag him some extra materials for the trouble.

Not sure if there are suppliers and brands to avoid or run to? 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/30/18 5:26 p.m.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com is great. I have bought quite a bit of stuff there. I have no input on brands. The RAL stuff I have used didn't give a great finish so go with something more expensive probably.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
4/30/18 5:48 p.m.

NIC Prismatic is where to go. They are the ones that make a lot of it. Powder By The Pound, Powder365, Columbia Coatings, etc, just buy it and resell it. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
4/30/18 6:21 p.m.

After using columbia coatings and powder buy the pound for a decade I now just use Eastwood.

Their colors are automotive oriented, the ralley wheel silver is a great wheel silver, they are comparably priced and they ship fast enough.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/30/18 7:45 p.m.

Appreciate the input.  Will check them out tonight.  Any votes between these two choices?

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 New Reader
5/1/18 8:47 a.m.

bright silver.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
5/1/18 9:55 a.m.

For that car,  +1 on silver. 

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
5/1/18 10:12 a.m.

Just had my 996 wheels done in Prismatic Powders Greenland Silver base plus clear.  I think it looks great.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/1/18 6:05 p.m.

I actually saw that prismatic silver last night and loved it.  I'd like to do it as one coat so will need to see if that works or not...

Otherwise leaning towars the bright silver.  I think it pops with the black and chrome..

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/1/18 6:36 p.m.
84FSP said:

I actually saw that prismatic silver last night and loved it.  I'd like to do it as one coat so will need to see if that works or not...

Otherwise leaning towars the bright silver.  I think it pops with the black and chrome..

It's fine for single coat applications. Prismatic lists it as excellent UV stability and high gloss. Clear not a necessity.

Refreshe
Refreshe
7/5/22 8:52 p.m.

Vitracoat has always worked great for me. They have a variety of powder coatings available.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/5/22 8:58 p.m.

Depending how much you need and what color, you might consider stopping by your local powder coater and see if they'll sell you what you need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KpvVR6XimjTxsAE3yGTGDcyjjo1MYTpcPnRLAyzlkLGOKL4npVTMwQgrx97f10Jn