dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/1/21 7:48 a.m.

I have never used any Power Stop product before. I found what I think is a fair price on this kit for my CLS 550:

"Power Stop K6885 Front and Rear Z23 Carbon Fiber Brake Pads with Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors Kit"

Anyone have any experience with power stop and willing to share there opinion?

The car comes with drilled and slotted rotors from the factory. I don't know what the factory pad material is. 

If anyone has another suggestion the car is 4000 lbs wet so brakes need to account for that. I would like to get pads and rotors as a set not mix and match them.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/1/21 7:50 a.m.

If an admin sees this could you edit the title?  It should read

"Power Stop Brake Pads & Rotors"

wae
wae UberDork
3/1/21 8:05 a.m.

I've done a bunch of Powerstop kits.  My brothers truck got the pads, rotors, and calipers in the front, my sister's CRV got the calipers, rotors, pads on all four corners, I've done a couple other SUVs with rotors and pads on the front, and my Excursion has the front pads and rotors installed while the rear ones are sitting on the bench waiting for me to stop being lazy.  I've had good luck with them.  The rebuilt calipers all worked fine and if they're bedded correctly, no complaints on the pads and rotors.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/1/21 8:38 a.m.

I'm running their sport level pads and plain rotors on my S197. I put them on for a beginner track day several years back and have run them ever since. They seem to do well. My instructor was a Cayman driver and commented positively on how much braking I had. System is stock with good fluid and their pads and rotors. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/1/21 8:55 a.m.

Yup.  Do the powerstop.  I've never had a bad experience.

I had one good experience years ago on an F150, so I did it again for my next F250.  The Impala got drilled/slotted powerstop rotors (because they were on sale and bling) and they were great.

Then I messed up and tried some Centric Posi-quiet pads on my Branger which claimed to be quiet and dust free.  They were neither.  My wheels are a mess and they frequently squeak.

Back to Powerstop.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/1/21 9:47 a.m.

Topic seems to come up every 6-8 months, and every time people respond overwhelmingly positively about them.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/1/21 9:54 a.m.

I'm using Powerstop on my Datsun (front brakes are 280ZX); the original Nissan rotors got some pad pick up and even after precision grinding the problem could never be rectified. 

Naturally I grabbed some cheap centric rotors, even with careful bedding with new pads the pulsing brake pedal would return within 4 laps. 

Installed new Powerstop rotors..............problem gone. They've been on the car for 60 events.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/1/21 11:32 a.m.

Thanks Everyone!!!  Very helpful!!!

I will go ahead and order them.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/1/21 11:56 a.m.

I have Powerstop track day pads on my Falcon.  They need a bit of warm-up, but this was expected; they are excellent.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
3/1/21 9:37 p.m.

good stuff for the street but i dont recommend for track use

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
3/1/21 9:52 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

My car is a track car and as mentioned I have 60 events on the Powerstop rotors with no issue.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
3/3/21 10:09 a.m.

I run the Powerstop track day pads (for track) and the Z26 pads for street. So far, my experience has been great. They are pretty high torque, have decent modulation, good fade resistance, but they do wear very quickly. That being said, they are like $80 per axle so the fact that I can get a season out of a set is still amazing. 

TLDR: These aren't competing with premium pads like PFC, but they are damn good for the money. Now only if I could convince them to make the higher "track day spec" pads for the front of the Brembo equipped BRZ...

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/3/21 10:37 a.m.

Interestingly I replaced the stock (original) pads on my F150 with PS because the OE's squealed at low speeds. After a month the PS do too, but I've since learned that it's a common problem on this model and almost all pads squeal on them. They do stop great on the truck, and actually seem to do better with increasing load or towed weight. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x24Fjv5K9Wri4IKUDvG2NXFdWjyC6baOsuyOm12R8LkZbcqhd0wUkI6KyQBMEII8