1 2 3
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/5/14 5:28 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I was a long hauler in 2003. I did the tour with my oldest son. Towed a stainless steel teardrop trailer behind my '60 El Camino. Recommendation: If you ever do the tour, DO NOT tow a trailer. You will not be able to find 2 parking spaces together at any venue, which will leave you parking in the back. You will then be the last to leave, and have the same problem at the next stop. My wife called me while I was on the tour to tell me she was pregnant.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/5/14 10:55 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Since I'm entering my car, and convoying with other people, I'm not sure I can meet up anywhere but inside the track. And I wore out all my GRM shirts, so that won't help. But you guys can probably find me if you look for the Mustang in my profile. And Pat knows what I look like (which is pretty damn ugly, I have to say!).

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
6/6/14 12:26 p.m.

i'm going to try my best but it's going to be a last minute decision. i had a customer change from a click together engineered 5" wide wood floor(simple do it monday trim it tuesday morning job) to nailed down 2 1/4" oak(pain in the ass, sore back, bent over all day wanging at the stapler with my mallet, multiple days with no helper to cut job). so i may be screwed.

m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
6/6/14 12:38 p.m.

My buddy and our wives will be spectating Sunday Night in Knoxville.

Mark

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/9/14 12:10 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Pat, I think you have my phone number. Give me a ring if you make it and we'll meet up.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/9/14 8:57 p.m.

I have a GRM shirt and may see you on the inside tomorrow.
The vehicles seem to have been arriving today. The Tour comes up from the south but today coming down from the north I saw:
T-Bucket pulling a teardrop trailer followed by a 60's wagon with vintage trailer.
70's Nova
Two 2nd Gen Camaros
Late '80's Hurst Olds.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/9/14 9:04 p.m.

I saw the tour come through Maryland once. It was a sight to behold.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/9/14 9:17 p.m.

I will be in Columbus for work so I am out unless I go after

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/10/14 12:53 a.m.

They drove past my house and I think I took about 6-700 photos between the phone camera and the regular camera....

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/10/14 5:15 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'll keep an eye out for you. Look for my ratty gold Mustang as well!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/10/14 5:18 a.m.

We're leaving shortly and will be driving down near Columbus to meet up with the convoy up to Norwalk. Should be an epic day! I didn't get my new engine done, so we're doing it in my 110k original 289. I hope it makes it. Here's a pick of the new engine. Its sooooooo close, but I just ran out of time.

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
6/10/14 6:23 a.m.

Leaving from near DC, plan is to make it to Norwalk. Hope to see you there

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/12/14 10:25 a.m.

In reply to glueguy:

It was nice meeting you...briefly... very briefly. Sorry we didn't hook up later to talk more. The day flew by really fast. I didn't run into anybody else from this forum either. But we had a great time and I know I have to do more than one day next year!

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
6/12/14 10:29 p.m.

yeah, we were just totally out of sequence all day long. Left 90 minutes late in the morning (hey, it is vacation). As we were on the approach road to the track my wife pulls up your profile so that we can see the car. Next thing I know my son says "I think that's it over there." In the staging lanes, yep, looks like it from here. So we park on the big end on the opposite side of the track, walk down around as the rain begins and find you right as it they send everyone out of staging. Shake hands and find out where you're parked. We started walking, looked at a bunch of cars, did some vendors (the new GTO with the 1st gen Firebird body over it was pretty cool), watched a dyno pull. By now the rain stopped and when we got back to about where you were, everyone was already headed back up front. We went to the stands and watched some runs, then wandered and then left. As we were walking out I think I saw you pulling in way at the back of the staging lane (around 5:30-5:45).

Sorry that we missed you but had a great time. The good news is that the whole family wants to do the entire tour for an upcoming summer vacation. I'll post a "what car" thread soon.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
6/13/14 6:27 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Nice! A stillborn Hilborn?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 7:44 a.m.

In reply to glueguy:

It was nice meeting you also. And my son Brad who was in the car with me also wants to do the entire Power Tour, so hopefully we'll meet again. It was a crazy (and short) day. I was surprised they shut things down so early. What did you do in the evenings while on the tour?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 7:46 a.m.
Dashpot wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Nice! A stillborn Hilborn?

Its an Enderle system that I'm slowly converting to electronic. In the picture it's just being used as a lifter valley dust cover! It will go on the engine at some point, and you might be surprised to know that it fits under the stock hood! That's without any air filter though, so a hood scoop will be needed. I'll initially use a carb, and then swap over once I have the injection ready to go. The engine is a 10.5:1 347 that should make around 425hp@6000RPM.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/13/14 8:13 a.m.

Got about half of the photos I took uploaded from the Knoxville to Charleston leg of the tour....

Typical small town gas station stop:

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

So you took four photos?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 8:16 a.m.

I have a video of my son Brad making his first 1/4 mile pass in my Stang. I posted it to FB, but can't figure out how to get it from there to here. I tried uploading it to Photobucket, but it kept failing. If anyone knows how to do it let me know.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
6/13/14 8:26 a.m.

They were driving by on us20/23 heading to the next stop, I watched for awhile but it looks like the same cars are making loops after twenty minutes or so

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/13/14 8:33 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Ranger50: So you took four photos?

Heh. Smartypants. I have to get back on the desktop to post to my fb album of photos plus the ones off the real camera. I took about 300 pics with my phone.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/13/14 8:35 a.m.

Darn, sorry guys, didn't see this sooner or would've been glad to hook you up with some GRM swag to help you fly the flag. Also, need to make a mental note about that restaurant. As usual, y'all are making me hungry.

Margie

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
6/13/14 8:45 a.m.

Bravenrace, in the little that I've researched this week, at most stops there are a couple of preferred hotels, so a car show/party breaks out wherever the tour is. A lot of locals come out to big parking lots in those towns, too.

Marjorie, we'll keep this in mind and I think in the future those of us that are participating will start the planning here earlier. With official events ending by dinner every day, I would love to have GRM dinner/hang-out in different cities along the way. That would be awesome.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 8:51 a.m.

In reply to glueguy:

So it sounds like doing more than the one day we did has it's benefits, correct? Not knowing where it will be next year, I can't say for sure that we'll be going on it or not, but I know my son said he wants to go no matter where it is. But that's easy for him to say!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BrDGl2J3LjEQqoRzqy4aHv3gF4akHzjRpJoJlmiQNREKBGHQG553SW1exqJ44l8m