1 2
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
2/7/22 4:22 p.m.

Here is the text view, you can save notes for each stop, and it has the ability to plan your gas stops, not sure about charge stations.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/7/22 5:06 p.m.

Instead of renting a car, why not fly out to CA, buy something that would've returned to the Earth out East and do the trip in reverse?

If you buy a car in CA, the plate normally stays on the car and you have thirty days to register it. Plenty of time to drive US50. 

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
2/8/22 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

I hadn't tried the mobile version of the Furkot website until now, but it seems that if your route between two stops is short enough, you can use the navigate button on that portion of the route and open it in google maps, or whatever the default navigation app is on your phone.

This is good to know, I might not necessarily need CoPilot anymore, unless I'm in an area with no mobile data. (I did see that you can save offline files to the device, and you can download parts of Google Maps, but I don't know if I would fully trust that to work) 

Seems like planning the trip in Furkot, and then launching it on a mobile device and opening a navigation app from there is probably the best, and also free, answer.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
2/8/22 11:06 a.m.

I spent some time furking around in Furkot this morning....I think that may be my huckleberry.  I haven't tried exporting, although I see that's a thing, and also noted a Google Maps integration that I need to look into.

I did see there's a way to show DTE/recommended fuel stops, although that requires the paid Furkot Pass, which I'll probably do at some point.  I need to find the reference, but I think you can also reconfigure for EV to show chargers, which is neat.

The lack of any limitations around drag and drop reroute made locking the route down on US-50 a pretty quick exercise.  I couldn't just "avoid highways", as it would then also avoid US-50 when it is part of/follows another route.  Clicking that off and forcing it to where I wanted to go was exactly what I wanted and what it delivered.

More learning and more planning to do, but I think this may be a viable solution.  Thank you!

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
2/8/22 11:10 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

There you go, making sense again.  :)

It's been an idea that's been booted around a bit, although would require a bit more advanced planning to secure reliable wheels.  I am close to my garage limit at the moment, but would rather have something to show for it at the end of the trip rather than an oversized rental receipt.

I wasn't aware of the 30-day plate rule in CA...that's great intel.  Do you just procure insurance and can drive on that plate until the 30 days is up?

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/8/22 6:22 p.m.

I use an app on my phone called Road Warrior to plug in all my stops and route them with the least amount of backtracking if that helps. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
2/8/22 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer :

If you buy a car in CA the seller will give you the signed title and the plates will stay on the car. Call your insurance company to add it to your policy and you're set for the drive back - you may not even need to do that as a lot of companies give you 30 days to notify them of a new vehicle. When you get home either register it or punt it to someone else. If you were keeping the car in California you would need to register it in your name within 10 days but since you'd be taking it out of state no one is likely to care.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y2dfBNvPUoVYeOL1IthoQHSuRJF6UWAK8Ap36qB1QE7Qd5FnQBP30nmRzqSJZSAA