Lee
Lee UberDork
4/26/21 4:20 p.m.

I've got a ratty old farm truck, it's more bare metal and surface rust than paint.

It ain't pretty, but it's a farm truck.  I wouldn't mind it being pretty some day, but it's got work to do still.

Folks seem to get out of my way and are less likely to pull out in front of me when driving the big ugly truck vs. the VW Golf, so it's worth keeping it looking like a big ugly truck.

I've been down the Google rabbit hole.  I've seen Eastwood's patina preserver, and a lot of similar DIY versions of oils/waxes in some kind of thinner.  None of those are much of a long term solution, need reapplied at least annually.

The other option seems to be clear coat.  I don't want shiny, so maybe a matt/semi-gloss clear?  Roll it on?  $40 worth of Rust-Oleum clear and spray bomb all of the panels?

Any recommendations?  Other options?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/26/21 5:12 p.m.

What people call patina these days is actually rust, and the only real long term solution for rust is to remove it.

That said, if you really want to leave it looking as is, I'd try Gibbs protectant.  It's long lasting, and won't cause any problems if you do decide to paint the truck later. Lots of people swear by it.  https://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/26/21 5:51 p.m.

Gibbs is the answer! Don't be the clear coat rust guy!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/26/21 6:10 p.m.

There are very few things that make my eyes roll back so far that I can see the back of my skull, but shiney rust is absolutely one of those things.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
4/26/21 6:10 p.m.

Vice Grip Garage's patented Shine Juice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7AvQZoYcU

"4 Ozzy Osbourne's of Mineral Spirits and another 8 of Bald Linseed Oil" to "bring the shine down just a titch".

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/26/21 8:03 p.m.

Gallon can of Rustoleum in any color, and a roller. 

Protects the metal from *more* more rust. And even doing a half-assed job will be prettier than it being rusty....er "patina"....er....rusty. 

People aren't not pulling out in front of you because the truck is ugly. They're not pulling out in front of you because the truck is BIGGER than the VW. 

This was maybe 5 total hours of prep, painting, and a bit of post-paint sanding on a beat-up pickup bed with rolled-on rustoleum for my utility trailer. It's not all that smooth, but looks a lot better than a bunch of rust (IMO)

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
4/26/21 9:46 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

That looks sharp!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
4/27/21 7:27 a.m.
Lee said:

Folks seem to get out of my way and are less likely to pull out in front of me when driving the big ugly truck vs. the VW Golf, so it's worth keeping it looking like a big ugly truck.

Unrelated but this exactly the opposite of my experience. With both of the old trucks I've owned, one of which is very big, people pull out in front of me WAY more often than in any other car. I've always guessed that it's because they assume the old truck is going slowly and they have time. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
4/27/21 8:01 a.m.

It's already lasted this long. No need to protect it, unless you're about to make it a serious all-weather DD. I personally think the patina preservation fad is cheesy. Just drive it like it is.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/21 8:50 a.m.

As a hot rodder and old school customizer, I'm down with patina.

I'm not really a fan of preserving it.  Clear coating it darkens it and makes it look like varnish on wood.  It's too obvious for my taste.  Patina is one of those things that you can't make happen or preserve.  You either have it or you don't.

As long as it's not risking rot on the panels, I would leave it alone if you like it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WVZKEWI1Jb7UskYIwgFkyrJNt8WIm30IPZCzjASLMBbga7bpzYTBrI3OFvbyQIxR