JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/13/15 9:07 a.m.

What the 1990s lacked in style and taste, they made up for with a Japanese sporty car revolution. The CRX and original MR2 started that revolution in the 1980s, but it exploded in the last decade of the 20th century.

Suddenly we had 300-horsepower, twin-turbo Z-cars, Supras and 3000 GTs, plus Ferra…

Read the rest of the story

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/13/15 9:35 a.m.

U2 records aren't just free, they are forced down your throat against your will and make you jump through hoops to get rid of once they are on your phone, like some sort of Irish-themed virus.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/13/15 9:45 a.m.

I love U2 and liked the free album. You can follow up with free albums from any other 80's supergroups whenever you want Apple overlords.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/13/15 10:18 a.m.

So that's how that U2 album got on my iPad. I don't care for U2, so I deleted it. I thought one of my kids did that.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/13/15 10:30 a.m.

I deleted if like 5 times and the E36 M3 would keep coming back. I find U2 boring. I had to go to some special I-tunes page to get rid of it for good. More involved than it should've been. U2 and Apple owe me about 15 minutes worth of my time as far as I see it. I wonder what would happen if I sent them an invoice.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
4/13/15 10:35 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I haven't checked to see if it came back, but it really pisses me off that they do that. BTW, I agree about U2. "I" consider them one of the most over-rated bands ever.

Wallie
Wallie MegaDork
4/13/15 10:36 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I hope the give me something from the original Supergroup, Asia.

Bruce
Bruce MegaDork
4/13/15 10:53 a.m.

I thought this would be about Prime wheels:

I'm delightfully corrected :)

Schump
Schump New Reader
4/16/15 1:05 a.m.

I LOVE these cars. I think I even fit into them being 6'4 like I did in my 1973 914 2.0 daily driver, the 3141st 2 liter built. (OK, so I had to take out the seat cushion of the fiberglass seat to pass the Polishing Club of America's roll bar rule for the track with my brain bucket on, but so be it.) Time to try one on again, then decide what car I should buy, E36 M3 vs MR2 Turbo vs 2004 or newer Boxster or Cayman (I don't fit in 1st gen 986's, and BTW although Porsche NEVER advertised the Boxster as the reincarnation of the 914, funny how 8+6=14.)

For all those who didn't already know, the 1st gen MR2's dash was a copy of the Coutach's, and MR2=Mid Engined RWD 2 seater. Yeah, that last part is pretty bloody obvious!

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/16/15 2:28 a.m.
Schump wrote: For all those who didn't already know, the 1st gen MR2's dash was a copy of the Coutach's, and MR2=Mid Engined RWD 2 seater. Yeah, that last part is pretty bloody obvious!

It's actually "Midship Runabout" ...and I just wasted a good 10 minutes trying to find some sort of similarity between the Countach and Mk.1 MR2 dashboards, and aside from "boxy instrument hood" I couldn't come up with anything.

turboswede
turboswede MegaDork
4/16/15 7:45 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
Schump wrote: For all those who didn't already know, the 1st gen MR2's dash was a copy of the Coutach's, and MR2=Mid Engined RWD 2 seater. Yeah, that last part is pretty bloody obvious!
It's actually "Midship Runabout" ...and I just wasted a good 10 minutes trying to find some sort of similarity between the Countach and Mk.1 MR2 dashboards, and aside from "boxy instrument hood" I couldn't come up with anything.

MR2:

Fiat X-1/9:

Countach:

I'm not convinced.

Schump
Schump New Reader
9/26/15 7:35 p.m.

I was told this by a friend whose older sister owned one and he, at the time, knew a lot more about cars than me. I agree with you, the only other similarity I see is the left dash vent and the angle of it being similar in the Countach and MR2. "Midship runabout" sounds pretty Toyota-esque though it seems the translation was aimed at the British market as I've never heard an American call a car a runabout.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHJdiUn1LUyPCdVtEyRVuu1MbraiD9E9wZZ4ryt2R7iiOiC7F47mBaDpYIxztzFs