tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/11/19 6:28 a.m.

Question for those of you that paint cars.  What products do you use and in what order, starting from bare metal?  I'm painting a car now.  Stripped it to bare metal and then put on a coat of one part primer sealer.  Then did body filler and 2 part primer surfacer, followed up by a final coat of sealer.  Just wet sanded with 400, and found a couple of blemishes that need to be touched up.  Now its on to paint and clear coat.  Does this sound like a good way of doing things?  In the past, I have used etch primer on bare metal, but was told that is no longer needed if you start with sealer.  Seems to have a great bond with the metal, so I'm optimistic.  Once this car is done, I'm going back in on a car I painted 5 years ago.  Body work came out laser straight.  Base coat went down perfect.  Hit it with clear coat and let it set for 1/2 hour.  Went back in to start pulling tape and paper, and found that the base and clear coat crinkled.  Turns out the new guy at the paint store gave me a non compatible clear coat to go over the base.  Now I have to sand the whole car back down, seal and paint again.  Pissed me off so badly, that the car has been in garage purgatory all this time.  Pretty much just a bench for parts from other projects.  Need to get it painted and out of here.  Sick of looking at it.  Its a bone stock platinum color TR8.  Most boring TR8 out of the bunch and I don't want it cluttering up my garage.  Tried to sell it cheap as a project for someone, else, but no takers.  I'll paint it, put the awaiting new interior in it, detail the stock engine bay, and sell it for three times what I was asking for it as a project.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/11/19 7:31 a.m.

Todd, primer goes on before paint.

(sorry)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/11/19 7:37 a.m.

My formula:

Bare metal

Epoxy primer ( at this point the car is moisture proof)

Bodyfill

Contour filler such as featherfill 

Urethane primer surfacer: First coat mixed as a high fill and second layer as a sealer difference is in the amount of reducer. The urethane is also moisture proof, so you can wash the car at this point and check the reflection for flaws.

End up with a 600 grit wet sanded finish.

color

Clear coat.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
6/11/19 7:51 a.m.
NOHOME said:

My formula:

Bare metal

Epoxy primer ( at this point the car is moisture proof)

Bodyfill

Contour filler such as featherfill 

Urethane primer surfacer: First coat mixed as a high fill and second layer as a sealer difference is in the amount of reducer. The urethane is also moisture proof, so you can wash the car at this point and check the reflection for flaws.

End up with a 600 grit wet sanded finish.

color

Clear coat.

Same. Only extra step I take is to wipe down with a good quality pre-paint/prep cleaner before color coat.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/11/19 7:53 p.m.

TR8TODD

So what was the prepaint price?  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/11/19 8:12 p.m.

How does that epoxy primer work over bare fiberglass?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SQGiVDYtBrudz9E4g7Le7PwnsUyIdu7GoMlqiRQsGX01o5Y6YG1ZLpsKBLpeF4lP