1 2 3 4
MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/27/14 7:08 a.m.

Looks like built/bought at the housing and property peak and then died during the non-recession.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
1/27/14 7:11 a.m.

I suspect it was a rich man's toy site and the great meltdown caught them.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
1/27/14 7:35 a.m.

http://binged.it/1fhxUbu

doesnt look very dead to me. Looks pretty nice!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/27/14 8:04 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

This Bing pic caught it freshly plowed. It even looks like they caught a possible blower truck on the track. Does it list a date?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
1/27/14 8:24 a.m.

I think freshly paved more than plowed. 2012.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
1/27/14 8:43 a.m.

The Bing birds eye view aerials are usually not current. When you spin the aerial, it shows different years of photographs. It definitely does not look like it's abandoned. In one view the airstrip appears to be re-paved and the Xs are gone.

I can waste hours at work on Google Earth and Bing

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
1/27/14 9:01 a.m.

That's fairly close to Sebring.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
1/27/14 9:11 a.m.

Here is a picture of the ad that was in Dupont. I picked up the Dupont issue while at the 2013 Amelia Island Concours but didn't keep it (I ripped out the ad).

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
1/27/14 10:03 a.m.

I just emailed the address in the ad.

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
1/28/14 1:34 p.m.

I just got a response at the phone #! It's not dead! They're still "gauging interest" and working on legalities and insurance and hope to have it available for rentals in the fall! Email and call to let them know there is interest!

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
1/28/14 4:52 p.m.

I called and it was someones private race track for about 10 years and he no longer has the time or desire to continue using it and has decided to gauge interest about opening it up to clubs and the general pubic. They are pursuing insurance and other legal issues at this point in time to see what it will cost to operate. If you want to know what is going on use the email address in the ad: privateracetrack@gmail.com to get on their mailing list.

Sounds like a good opportunity for NASA, SCCA and other club events. Might be less expensive than trying to run at Daytona or Homestead.

getfast
getfast Reader
1/28/14 4:54 p.m.

It would have to be less expensive than Daytona/Sebring/Homestead. And hopefully it's more useful for renting groups than some of the other tracks in the state.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
1/28/14 7:14 p.m.

I emailed to get on the mailing list!

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
1/28/14 7:21 p.m.

Daytona and Sebring trade out services rendered to the SCCA. The 24hrs. and the 12hrs. are both staffed by SCCA officials and volunteers, which is given a value, and then taken off the expense of renting the track for the coming year. That's why Central Florida region SCCA races are a good bit cheaper than most other SCCA regions.

If this is near Clewiston, there's not a big hotel/motel industry there. And my experiences in Clewiston have not been pleasant. Of course, the girls basketball team I coach is continually giving them a beatdown, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
1/28/14 8:53 p.m.

Clewiston is a nasty town. I wouldn't want to stay at any of the lodging available there.

edit: I might be thinking of Belle Glade, but all off those towns down there are pretty crummy.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/30/14 12:10 p.m.

"We have a local yellow for what appears to be an alligator!?!?"

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
2/3/14 9:35 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I emailed to get on the mailing list!

I haven't heard back from them.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
2/3/14 11:09 p.m.

No pit lane, or paddock space.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/4/14 7:42 a.m.
yamaha wrote: "We have a local yellow for what appears to be an alligator!?!?"

At least they're easier to dodge than the usual rabbits

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
3/5/14 9:54 p.m.

NMNA

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/5/14 10:21 p.m.

It is eerie to see a wide open, well-kept place so desolate. I didn't see any tire marks on the pavement. Ghost track.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
3/5/14 10:35 p.m.

You guys aren't into abandoned places, lol. It's quite normal for property to be mowed, even if it's been "abandoned" for decades.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
3/5/14 11:01 p.m.

And for what it's worth, the air strip isn't on the aeronautical charts, at least that I can find.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/5/14 11:11 p.m.

Could it have been for crop dusting planes? there's a lot of ag in that area.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
3/5/14 11:31 p.m.

Those are all listed, and marked as private.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzCGekRJWhdmPXaOjtah87TGU2MG4IfVqy4mBfiFh5RHSzAV1dAIw2hs3h3UO6Vy