MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/19/19 8:10 a.m.

My daily driven Buick has a pretty worn out driver's seat. The last time I went looking for a junkyard W-body seat, everything I turned up was in even worse shape than what I have. So I was thinking of an aftermarket seat. The Procar by Scat line is quite affordable - are the seats any good, or are they something I'd start to hate after my first commute?

Specifically, I'm considering a Sportsman Series 1606:

Or a Pro-Sport Series 1790:

Both would look absurdly out of place in my Buick, although that's part of the appeal.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/19/19 8:40 a.m.

FYI Jegs has a Procar 1790 replica for a little less:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/702110/10002/-1

No experience on either.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/19/19 10:06 a.m.

The only reason I’ve not yet bought one(or possibly a pair) of 1790’s for the Miata is if I make ingress/egress any more difficult I’ll probably drive even less than I do now. 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/19/19 10:21 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Both would look absurdly out of place in my Buick, although that's part of the appeal.

Yes!!

MadScientistMatt
4/19/19 11:58 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

The only reason I’ve not yet bought one(or possibly a pair) of 1790’s for the Miata is if I make ingress/egress any more difficult I’ll probably drive even less than I do now. 

Good call - maybe I should make up a fake side plate and see how much harder it makes getting into my car...

MINIzguy said:

FYI Jegs has a Procar 1790 replica for a little less:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/702110/10002/-1

No experience on either.

Thanks for calling that out - I suspect from the part number that it's being made by Procar and sold as a "white label" part.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/19/19 6:36 p.m.

I have Procar evolutions in my truck, but it only sees a couple thousand miles/year these days.   I'm happy with them though. The sliders definitely aren't as nice as the factory ones, but I don't often have to use them in a regular cab truck.

If you're thinking of getting their seat brackets (do they offer some for a W body?) get the dimensions first. Their custom brackets for my truck would've raised the seat bottom a couple of inches higher than factory.

Will
Will UltraDork
4/19/19 6:50 p.m.

My experience is that fixed-back seats with high side bolsters make it difficult to get in and out of a car. Cars with long doors make the problem even worse.

If someone parks within a door length of my Camaro I'm basically boned.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
4/20/19 7:28 a.m.

Seats are like shoes, you have to try it on to know if you want to sit in it for more than 2 minutes. Find a shop that has one on the floor that you can sit in. This is about more than ingress/egress.

MadScientistMatt
4/22/19 10:22 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Seats are like shoes, you have to try it on to know if you want to sit in it for more than 2 minutes. Find a shop that has one on the floor that you can sit in. This is about more than ingress/egress.

Good point. I may need to see if the Summit warehouse in McDonnough has a few on display I can test sit. Glad to hear from others that they're not an unmitigated disaster in the quality department.

There's no adapters available for my car - I was planning to find some way to get them attached to the stock power seat sliders. These are relatively flat on top, and it shouldn't be that hard.

MadScientistMatt
5/28/19 8:00 a.m.

Got the seat installed on the stock seat rails with some angle iron. I need to find a better way to mount the switches and cover up the seat track on the left, but everything is functional. It looks less out of place than I expected.

Will have an install video posted when I get the chance. I'll put that up in the builds and project cars forum.

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
5/28/19 8:06 a.m.

Looks good and at a glance not out of place. Let us know how they feel in daily duty. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/28/19 9:43 p.m.

Looks like it came with the car!

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/28/19 9:47 p.m.
rattfink81 said:

Looks good and at a glance not out of place. Let us know how they feel in daily duty. 

This. If they aren't awful I might look into a pair for my SN95 daily.

bluej
bluej UberDork
5/28/19 10:01 p.m.

Partially because of this thread, im considering a set of the rallys in beige canvas for my e46 touring dd. At closer to $400 a pop each, its still a big pill..

skylarhagler
skylarhagler New Reader
5/28/19 10:17 p.m.

Any safety concerns on the Procars for a DD? I’ve thought about putting a pair in my E82 to get rid of the leatherette seats that i keep sticking to. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/29/19 6:36 a.m.

In reply to skylarhagler :

Procar/ Scat has been around since at least the 1980s.  They're not an FIA seat, but if you're replacing non-airbag seats I wouldn't be too concerned.

MadScientistMatt
5/29/19 8:14 a.m.

Now that I've got a couple commutes on it, here's my comments on comfort and some other questions.

1. It squeaks a little bit. Not sure if this is a break-in thing that will get better over time.

2. I'm a big guy, about 6'2" barefoot, and ~220 lbs. The lower bolsters are set about an inch too close together for my liking, but this seems to be something I'm getting used to, or there's a little breaking in for the bolsters. Needless to say, this also means a lot better side support.

3. The padding is a good bit stiffer than the La-Z-Boy like upholstery on the stock Buick seat, but I kind of prefer it that way.

4. The cloth makes the car feel a lot less hot than the stock Buick's leather, which is a definite plus in Georgia.

5. They don't bother my back after riding for about an hour. That's more than I can say for the stock seats in my wife's Accord, which start getting uncomfortable for my back at around that point.

6. As for safety, it has a steel frame and is about the same weight as a stock seat. It's not a FIA racing seat (it's also a reclining back design), but is likely not to be any worse than stock parts, and is probably safer than the cheap fiberglass or plastic drag race buckets.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/29/19 8:34 a.m.

I have some Pro Car Rally seats in my Maverick. They are comfortable and look good. My only problem were they were in red and the material faded to a pink/white. Pro Car customer service said they would sell me new covers at their cost but I opted to have a local upholster cover them in a ultra leather material in black.

bluej
bluej UberDork
5/29/19 9:49 a.m.

Matt, how does the velour feel? I got small samples of the fabric in the mail from procar yesterday in the beige canvas and velour. I like the canvas a lot, but the velour is a better color match. Im worried about how the velour will wear, especially in a DD that will see some baby transport starting in august.

Pirate, those look fantastic! You're not anywhere near DC, are you? Or does anyone know of a dealer nearbyish to test sitting in some?

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/29/19 9:54 a.m.

In reply to bluej :

Alabama Gulf Coast

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/29/19 10:45 a.m.

wait, im in Alabama, where on our coast?

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/29/19 11:33 a.m.

Daphne, Al

MadScientistMatt
5/29/19 11:39 a.m.
bluej said:

Matt, how does the velour feel?

Pretty decent, although no idea how it will hold up. It "breathes" pretty well for circulating air on hot days.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/30/19 6:57 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

i have a friend and coworker that lives there, im in Montgomery.  If you see a Triumph Thruxton in dark green thats him.  I plan to visit him soon in my Miata for some beers and seafood.

MadScientistMatt
6/24/19 9:12 a.m.

Seat installation video is up now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmnbVcFabptCb9Mjt2zR0A25tmObjzEd9NxHqXrfQ1Xny3Hhgog14ypewwhwUykI