Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/15/12 9:56 a.m.

Really? Yes, really.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/cold-c-our-porsche/

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/15/12 10:20 a.m.

Cost for the AC job?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/12 4:54 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Cost for the AC job?

I just double-checked some figures with the shop. If the hoses don't have to be changed, he says to figure about 4 hours labor plus the new receiver dryer ($75-100-ish), freon, compressor oil, O-rings and a few minor incidentals. While the car was there and on the lift, he also adjusted our valves, retorqued the heads, adjusted the clutch, and did a few other small things, so our bill was a little higher than that.

David S. Wallens
6/15/12 5:01 p.m.

And a PS on all this. Long-term, we don't know if this is going to be the magic bullet--hence why it hasn't been in the magazine yet. Will we still have good a/c in a month? A year? However, the shop has seen success with this method before and our system had no trouble holding a vacuum, so we figured we'd start with an easy solution before redoing everything and adding new condensers, etc. So far, though, it's been chilly in there.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/15/12 6:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And a PS on all this. Long-term, we don't know if this is going to be the magic bullet--hence why it hasn't been in the magazine yet. Will we still have good a/c in a month? A year? However, the shop has seen success with this method before and our system had no trouble holding a vacuum, so we figured we'd start with an easy solution before redoing everything and adding new condensers, etc. So far, though, it's been chilly in there.

I procured a compressor from a honda accord which is tiny compared to the giant Bosch unit on my 964. The car is still R-12 and has a leak... my grand plan was to flush it, replace all the o-rings, condenser and fab a bracket for the new compressor. I have no idea if this will work - and it's a bitch of a job to get to everything w/o a lift (hence my "How much to let someone else solve this one" )

I'll look forward to the results of your attempt before I go too nuts.

David S. Wallens
6/15/12 6:23 p.m.

My car still has the stock bracket, but Lou, who just the work, said that the compressor is not original. It's still the stock size, but at some point the compressor was swapped out and the fittings changed. When/if that compressor goes, he has the part number for one that makes a good replacement.

It's been a bit on the cool and rainy side lately, so the a/c hasn't gotten much of a workout. I last drove the car on Tuesday. The a/c felt good then, though.

Yesterday the Miata's a/c got repaired, so in the past two weeks I went from 1/4 cars having functioning a/c to 3/4.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ucvx8psbwQuhyeAMgG0W5qwI5QcGiYCDU6sHAxEhskmibh3144HqHvmuJLKZxkMx