1 2 3
Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/20/17 2:56 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to Vigo: There's the difference between import trucks and domestic trucks that always annoyed me. Import trucks are usually one engine, one transmission and MAYBE 2 rear end ratios. Domestic trucks usually have 2 or 3 engine choices, 2 or 3 transmission choices, 8-10 different rear end ratios along with an absolute overload of cab and body options. That means you can build the truck that fits your needs to a "T" and not have stuff that doesn't help, or that you don't want. That's what I'm trying to point out. The Ridgeline is a perfectly fine automobile that does most of what it's owners want it to do perfectly fine. It's the crescent wrench of the automotive world. Not necessarily the best tool in the box, but it gets the job done. The point I was trying to make (before the 'you're just a hater' crap started), I was just surprised that with all the new technology these have in both engines and drivetrains, along with engine management etc that it wasn't better fuel economy. I get why the big 3 don't (they're massive, have tons of power and are shaped like a brick house), but thought Honda would have found more.

Imported vehicles are expensive to bring in, so the options they may have domestically or in other, less expensive markets, are rarely brought here. Also to emissions certify each drivetrain permutation isn't financially viable, unless there is a market for it.

If you look at Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and other Asian car and truck makers you'll see more or less similar options available as we have here in the states on the domestic trucks.

Euro "luxury" cars for example are often available in a greater range of options from bare bones to full luxury back home, but due to their expense to import, they wouldn't often only sell the upper tiers.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/20/17 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

Problem with that theory is they are all made here in the US already. Toyota builds them in Indiana and Texas. Nissan builds them in Mississippi, Mitsu used Dodge Durangos. Honda's truck isn't built like a truck so it can't have the same options you would normally be able to build.

The other issue is they know that they'll never sell in the numbers that Ford/GM/Dodge do so to build that many options is silly. They'd never sell them all.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/20/17 6:01 p.m.

I like Ridgelines. They are on my short list. Hey Tim/Tom............what kind of real world mileage do you get just driving around with everyday stuff?

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
7/20/17 11:34 p.m.

I was half expecting this to become one of the "Don't tow with anything less than an F350 (or, GM/Dodge equivalent)" arguments. Instead we got "Ridgelines are for girly-men".

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
7/23/17 2:19 p.m.

"There's the difference between import trucks and domestic trucks that always annoyed me. " But the Ridgeline is built in Alabama. Which would make it a domestic truck...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/24/17 9:03 a.m.

In reply to noddaz:

And mine was made in Canuckistan which makes it imported. stop being pedantic.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/24/17 8:36 p.m.

In 20,000 miles I have been getting an average fuel mileage of just under 21 mpg. On highway only trips it has been 24-25 mpg. In those same 20,000 miles I have changed the oil twice and put wiper blades on it.

While I love rough riding, ill handling, difficult to get in and out of, hard to maneuver gas hogfull size trucks that I can't find parking spots for I am getting used to the new Ridgeline.

And yes, I freakin stole an E30--that several of our message board members said they had seen--for $450. It was sitting in plain sight in a towing lot and had been there for a couple of years.

The shark is always hunting, doesn't have to ask his wife if it is time to eat, has the $450 in his pocket when it is time to strike and is willing to f-up his travel plans (or in this case, his son's) to get another project car home so he can write about it for you.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/25/17 5:57 a.m.

Rough riding ill handling? Alright next time we are in Florida I'm stopping by the office to show y'all how nice it can be! Lol

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/25/17 9:38 a.m.

Any full size truck owner that spends a week in a Ridgeline will not return to their full size truck, unless they need to tow 7000 plus pounds. Woohoo, I started an internet rant on my own forum!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/25/17 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

LOL! I actually wanted to stop by the offices last month but time was too tight to swing to the other side of the state. We left Sanibel friday morning and I had to be in Peru at 7am Saturday.

duke906
duke906 New Reader
7/25/17 10:04 a.m.

Tim I had the opportunity to talk with your staff reps at Road America last weekend and I wanted them to tell you that towing at 80 MPH is totally irresponsible! I used some more colorful language befitting my status as an "angry old white man". Remember the laws of Physics, your stopping distances, your use of scarce energy resources, and the safety of others on the road. Nothing like a big rig traveling down interstate OUT OF CONTROL. Slow down, enjoy the ride Kevin

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/25/17 11:32 p.m.

I once towed a car from TX to FL behind a 3000lb Dodge Dynasty and raced a semi somewhere in Florida reaching speeds around 90mph. Honestly I would easily have won this race if i wasn't nursing a failing thermostat all the way across the country and just trying to keep temps out of the red because I didn't have time to give the 'tow vehicle' a real shakedown because it was a last minute decision to use it because my other tow vehicle was a minivan i just turbocharged and wouldn't run right because it was missing a tiny hole on a sensor trigger ring. So i didn't get to tow the E36 M3box racecar i just turbo'd with a E36 M3box van i just turbo'd but i did tow it with a E36 M3box and raced a semi in said overheating E36 M3box hitting ~90mph with tow dolley and racecar in tow. And i was driving this whole E36 M3ty rig to Tim's event.

I'm not actually against giving safety/towing advice but since i know GRM Forums so well i do kinda think that if you don't have thick skin in towing discussions here your head will EXPLODE, thus proving my internet posting to be more dangerous than my driving.

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
7/26/17 9:40 a.m.
duke906 wrote: Tim I had the opportunity to talk with your staff reps at Road America last weekend and I wanted them to tell you that towing at 80 MPH is totally irresponsible! I used some more colorful language befitting my status as an "angry old white man". Remember the laws of Physics, your stopping distances, your use of scarce energy resources, and the safety of others on the road. Nothing like a big rig traveling down interstate OUT OF CONTROL. Slow down, enjoy the ride Kevin

80MPH with a properly loaded trailer, equipped with trailer brakes, attached to a properly sized tow vehicle, driven by an alert and and at least moderately competent driver, on an open highway is perfectly safe and in some parts of the country even legal.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 9:49 a.m.

In reply to APEowner:

AGREED..... but is a Uhaul behind a Ridgeline really that safeeven at 55mph? Just poking the bear, no ill intentions just being silly.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/26/17 12:26 p.m.

Speed limits around me are 75mph. I tow my E36 M3 on an aluminum open trailer behind my Cayenne Turbo S at 80mph all the time. Figure I'm at a little more than half of the Cayenne's 7700lb tow rating.

That's the low end of the speed of traffic around here, going 55mph would be irresponsible and get me run over.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/26/17 1:30 p.m.
duke906 wrote: Tim I had the opportunity to talk with your staff reps at Road America last weekend and I wanted them to tell you that towing at 80 MPH is totally irresponsible! I used some more colorful language befitting my status as an "angry old white man". Remember the laws of Physics, your stopping distances, your use of scarce energy resources, and the safety of others on the road. Nothing like a big rig traveling down interstate OUT OF CONTROL. Slow down, enjoy the ride Kevin

According to Joe (the person you unloaded on without, apparently, even bothering to learn his name), you did, indeed, maintain your status as angry old white man. So, uh, good on ya.

Margie

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/26/17 1:40 p.m.

yea but... trailer tires

Is 80 mph really a good thing?

I'm just sayin' because thread.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/26/17 1:44 p.m.

The Ridgeline is so blasted ugly that the only way it's acceptable to me is blasting by on the interstate at 80+ towing a trailer with the brakes on fire heading towards the flashpoint of the beginning of the apocalypse.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Here I thought that it was a joke post..... wow. Look, I'll make fun of y'all all day long, but in good humor. No way I'd literally be an ass over my opinion in person INTENTIONALLY. I'm sorry Joe had to deal with this assbag.

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
7/26/17 2:10 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: yea but... trailer tires Is 80 mph really a good thing? I'm just sayin' because thread.

That is a good point. I should have added with appropriate tires into my list of qualifiers. Not all trailer tires are rated for that speed.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/26/17 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Eh, it's part of the job, and a very small part of it. Every time I'm in the booth, I get some (usually angry old white) guy in my face telling me I need to set "them" straight about something. They never do seem to be able to comprehend that I AM "them," or have any ability to switch from “telling” to a real dialog. Some people just feel the need to get out in public and get themselves all over everybody else.

And the guy's got a point, from a perfect-world POV.

Margie

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
7/26/17 2:29 p.m.

Hey, if the universe didn't want me to tow at 86 mph in my E250, it wouldn't have installed that 86 mph speed limiter for the original fleet owner.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/26/17 2:44 p.m.
Kreb wrote: Miatas suck and 600 HP musclecars rule.

Agreed

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

I get it. I've been dealing with customers and the public for 21years of my working career. Retail, parts stores, dealers, and now as an analyst. It's amazing to me just how rude, crass and downright mean people can be to another human so they can feel better about themselves.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Our Sierra is limited to 96. I don't think I can tow that fast..... but I've never tried. I'll run 75 on open road with lots of visibility, but not much more. No need. I'll get there when I get there.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58vaJxmVknGVqi2vjP0LmPxCGTymiUIAy2YVOJpfvOYS9Tf9PdaSE0aqNTfjl4GP