1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/26/17 3:10 p.m.

If you aren't towing at 80 on I95, you are getting run the hell over, or stuck behind the trucks in the right lane at a measly 65. I say let it eat.

I have towed a 35' camper at 80 before. It was behind a big old ugly "man's" truck though.

It knocked down 6.5 mpg at that speed.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

See, and I'd tuck behind those semis and get 20mpg. No lie, I was getting 14-15 towing out to Nats last year when I caught up with friends that were headed there as well. They were towing a 24' enclosed behind a Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI. They were getting 6-8mpg. Me tucked behind them? I got 17. It.Was.Awesome. It didn't help we hit 20mph headwinds on 80 somewhere around Des Moines for them. We were stopping for gas every 150 miles lol. My only problem was keeping up when we got slowed down. They could pull away and I'd struggle to recatch them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/26/17 4:02 p.m.

When towing a 35' camper at 80 mph, while driving a 460 powered Ford F350, you really don't need to care about fuel economy. My only concern was what time I was going to get home. Speed may kill, but it also gets you home faster.

Then again, the same load at 55 on the back roads, only got 8.5 mpg. So maybe that should read, if you own a 460 powered Ford, you don't care about fuel economy, or the planet, or small birds, or children, or baby seals. You just care about quiet, smooth, awesome, torque.

As much as I loved that truck, I'm glad someone else is feeding it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 4:21 p.m.

WITH A 4.8 and 3.23's you look for every advantage you can get. You won't beat many off the line thats for sure. but that longer time between fuel stops makes it nice.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/27/17 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

I believe our lesson here is, always carry at least $500 cash in your wallet for the surprise find - and go out with your truck/suv/etc when "trolling" or "hunting" or "fishing".

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/27/17 2:04 p.m.

No harm, not much of a foul. He was an ok guy--- just wanted to bring up a point. You meet all kinds of folks when you work the booth, and nearly all of them are fun / cool people. It's one of the reasons I really enjoy working events, and meeting readers.

As long as they don't start talking politics, or start throwing racist jokes around.......I'm not there for that. I'd rather sell you a subscription and B.S. about your cars, or cars you'd like to have.....or that you had in the past. Save the political rantings to annoying your family and friends.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/27/17 2:17 p.m.

I've only ever gotten to hang out with JG and Dave for brief periods of time. I merely complained about the lack of food at the booth. JG told me Mr Wallens forgot the donuts and he was solely to blame.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/27/17 2:30 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I once towed a car from TX to FL behind a 3000lb Dodge Dynasty and raced a semi somewhere in Florida reaching speeds around 90mph. Honestly I would easily have won this race if i wasn't nursing a failing thermostat all the way across the country and just trying to keep temps out of the red because I didn't have time to give the 'tow vehicle' a real shakedown because it was a last minute decision to use it because my other tow vehicle was a minivan i just turbocharged and wouldn't run right because it was missing a tiny hole on a sensor trigger ring. So i didn't get to tow the E36 M3box racecar i just turbo'd with a E36 M3box van i just turbo'd but i did tow it with a E36 M3box and raced a semi in said overheating E36 M3box hitting ~90mph with tow dolley and racecar in tow. And i was driving this whole E36 M3ty rig to Tim's event. I'm not actually against giving safety/towing advice but since i know GRM Forums so well i do kinda think that if you don't have thick skin in towing discussions here your head will EXPLODE, thus proving my internet posting to be more dangerous than my driving.

WINNER!!!!!! Run on sentence o'da month.... See Margie for your prize. From a sometimes 'angry old white guy'

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/27/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

technically it has periods and stuff.... but yeah. reads like one run on sentence from hades.

duke906
duke906 New Reader
7/31/17 6:32 p.m.

Hi Marjorie

Just to set the record straight, I did learn Joe's name, we talked about tuning weber carbs, he suggested looking through the archives (I have over 20 years of magazines GRM) and suggested I e-mail him and he would direct me to the issue. He gave me his card also. OBVIOUSLY MY ATTEMPT HUMOR, AKA ANGRY OLD WHITE MAN, fell on deaf ears.

I just find the readers who think towing at higher speed is just fine have never seen the consequences of people driving beyond their capabilities, the capabilities of their rigs and the conditions, amazing. My Touraeg can tow the same 7700 lbs as Mr. Porsche, safety has to come first.
FYI, I am a nice guy, have been a subscriber since the beginning and have given magazine to many friends....keep up the great work, leave an hour early if you have to get home by a certain time. Kevin

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/31/17 10:49 p.m.

I figured my story would be less funny if it was written properly!

I try to resist the urge to kill whatever comedic value my towing/driving-related posts have by throwing in that no matter how ridiculously I describe my actions or how many 'donts' i 'do', it is literally impossible to have a better safety record than I do. It'll be 19 years of driving this year. One wonders if I couldn't have afforded to trade some of my driving skills for language skills and still been above average in the safety department. Guess I'll never know!

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
7/17/19 12:54 p.m.

Hey Tim, any updates on the Ridgeline?

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/17/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to PeterAK :

Holy crap zombie thread revival.. I was wondering how a post had gotten so many comments and then realized It's 2 years old... 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/17/19 1:59 p.m.
PeterAK said:

Hey Tim, any updates on the Ridgeline?

I rode in the backseat to go to lunch yesterday. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oaKA76W3pIjcDkqbIGNxriy1Yqfdq2Yxygxsed0hGB5HQhSFhQ83uxj66wL4NiA6