Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/12/19 9:10 p.m.
feature_image

We're working on turning this $2000 van into a do-it-all machine that can tow a car to the track, then serve as a mobile workshop and hotel room for the weekend. Up next: adding electricity.

Electricity is pretty useful–that's why most houses have it, after all–but it's not particularly easy to fin…

Read the rest of the story

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
2/12/19 9:59 p.m.

Is it a square wave inverter, or a sine wave?

You want a sine wave, some electronics, especially things like battery chargers for tools don't like square wave.

https://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/sine_&_square_wave_electricity.pdf

wae
wae SuperDork
2/12/19 10:35 p.m.

Being able to step out of bed and stroll through the paddock/camping area first thing in the morning on a two-day event with a hot cup of coffee in your hand is one of the most sublime pleasures of motorsport.  

I see a "power level" gauge on the inverter.  Does that have some way to shut itself down to preserve starting power in the battery just in case?  

Tom Suddard
2/13/19 8:39 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

It's a square wave. Yes, a pure sine wave would be better, but we've used these cheap inverters for years without issue. It charges tool batteries just fine. At the end of the day, it was a great deal, which is why we chose it.

Tom Suddard
2/13/19 8:40 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Agreed! It doesn't have an automatic shut-down, but we usually have the engine running while we're using it for big stuff, anyway.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
2/13/19 9:00 a.m.

I had thought about adding a 2nd battery under the passenger seat with an switch so it would not pull down the vans main battery , 

Does the inverter make any buzzing sounds ?

Tom Suddard
2/13/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Nope, the only noise is from the cooling fan, which runs under heavy loads.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
2/13/19 11:04 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to a_florida_man :

It's a square wave. Yes, a pure sine wave would be better, but we've used these cheap inverters for years without issue. It charges tool batteries just fine. At the end of the day, it was a great deal, which is why we chose it.

Cool. Glad to hear you were aware. Many folks aren’t. Love the van project. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/13/19 12:03 p.m.

May want to mount that lil guy right-side-up.  For extended run time it a warm environment you may run into cooling issues having the heat sink upside down and buried in the floor.  I know most car amps are unhappy mounted that way if run for a long time in a hot environment.  

I do love a nice cup of coffee in the morning outdoors, definitely one of life's simple pleasures.  I make mine on an old Coleman stove, so I can also make some eggs and bacon!

Tom Suddard
2/13/19 12:14 p.m.

The heat sink is about 1/2" from the floor, and over the past two years it's been fine. I've even run my house off of it through a transfer switch!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/13/19 6:56 p.m.

Do you have 167 amp. input ?  At least that is what you need for 2000 watts.    How many watts does the coffee maker draw ?    My Mr. Coffee doesn't say.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5TqxJWaCu9LrxHzdhCudXXifwLnhbvEyXyUhPRiO0vsAY9XKFtSe2urMLKH2ErLA