Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/21/19 10:08 a.m.
feature_image

We’re working on turning this $2000 van into a do-it-all machine that can tow a car to the track, then serve as a mobile workshop and hotel room for the weekend.

There's nothing better than a hot shower after a sweaty day in a race suit, but that can be a tough thing to find wh…

Read the rest of the story

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/21/19 11:45 a.m.

I may be having as much fun following the van modifications as you are doing them.

It's truly reached the Pinnacle of GRM-ness when you repurpose a bracket from a Miata.

I am feeling guilty however, about all the brass fittings that I never got around to returning.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/21/19 12:14 p.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/21/19 1:12 p.m.

Can you adjust the water temp ?  and is that by adding more cold water or turning down the heater  or changing the flow ?

THANKS

Tom Suddard
7/21/19 1:35 p.m.

Yes, the heater has temperature adjustments just like a normal shower. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/21/19 1:49 p.m.

Where does your waste water go?  Just out on the ground?

That may not be appreciated, depending on your location...

californiamilleghia
7/21/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

and to add to that , which "Green"  soap and shampoo do you use.....

Tom Suddard
7/21/19 2:17 p.m.

Yes, waste water and biodegradable soap goes onto the ground. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/21/19 2:40 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yes, waste water and biodegradable soap goes onto the ground. 

One more essential is a pair of flip-flops.

Growing up here in Florida, the old folks called them thongs. That's a different thing now, not suggesting that!

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/21/19 3:28 p.m.

I KNEW there was some Miata in that van! 

This is great, and noted for my future van shower endeavors. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/21/19 4:45 p.m.

I dig the GRM-ness of the setup, but seems like a lot of complication (i.e carrying propane inside the van, for one) for something that overlanders have been doing for a lone time much more simply. Seems like with so much roof space on that van, you could just have gone with a pressurized (using compressed air) solar shower with substantial capacity (multi-tube or one of the purpose-designed roof tanks) I know you mention "not waiting all day" but....Your van is gonna be sitting there all day when you're on the track. Then again, when I get out of my suit, all I want is a cold (or lukewarm) shower lol....(that and I stay in cheap hotels rather than camping, for teh most part lol).  

When I get around to it I'm going to build this for my rig: https://kombilife.com/diy-road-shower-for-van-life/

I've used one identical to this and there's surprisinly good pressure if you put a schrader valve on it and then you can just pressurize the tank with your little tire air compressor (and/or the sun will do it naturally while your van sits).

Anyhow, just an alternative. 

EDIT: just noticed the Amazon thing, so that explains it ;)

EDIT 2: So, does the unit itself pressurize the water, or is pressure provided by the feed water? What I mean is, on the photos where you show the water on it looks like you have a garden hose hooked up (which provides its own water pressure), but if you're drawing water from a jug (like in one pic, where the shower isn't on), is there a pump or something that creates pressure (and suction to get the water from the jug)?

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
7/21/19 8:28 p.m.

Very cool. On a nice low budget too!

The only part I'm nervous about is the air line fitting and hose clamps on the home-made propane line. I'm not sure of any good alternatives to this (I'm sure there will be some), but a small leak or failed hose clamps near a naked flame in the unit could quickly turn into a larger flame than you'd hoped for...

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/21/19 10:22 p.m.

I am inspired. I believe that hot showers may be available at my cabin in thw near future 

californiamilleghia
7/22/19 11:05 a.m.

Hi , looking at an Amazon review it says

"You do have to convert from BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tread) to NPT in the US"

Is that what you did ?

Thanks

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/22/19 12:13 p.m.

I like the Amazon disclaimer: "Yes, Amazon is paying us to tell you about the products we would be telling you about anyway."  I love a good win-win!  FWIW, lots of van-life foks add a length of black PVC pipe to the roof that stores water, provides water pressure, and can heat it in the sun. I don't see any roof racks, but its a good addition if you decide to go that route down the road.  My favorite had a second length of metal pipe on the other side that acted as a tank for air pressure.   

Tom Suddard
7/22/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

IIRC, mine came NPT.

Tom Suddard
7/22/19 12:49 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Yeah, we finally signed up for that Amazon program after years and years of recommending stuff. It's not much–I think we get like $2 if somebody buys a shower, for example–but every little bit helps.

You can see more stuff we recommend here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/recommended/

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/22/19 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I've seen that somewhere before

ChasH
ChasH Reader
7/22/19 5:21 p.m.

When I was in the Army, we just left a coupla dark colored jerry cans full  of water out in the sun

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5mITNuyODMEcccqoQ8RyfYwTLiCeCsWL8JCvpiLaFx3iVX5swBnBk122FSlHVGLJ