1 2
vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
12/17/18 8:54 p.m.
randyracer said:

Volvo wagons forever.  Sold mine, but still have the Happy Moose Volvo 740 Turbo Boxy But Good sedan "race" car.  I love the 5-cyl warble of cars like your new one, Tom.  Turbo did you mention?

I'd recognize that stream of consciousness writing style anywhere. Hello Mr. P. 

Best Volvo wagon I ever experienced was the 240 based BRG with tan leather interior 6cyl my boss owned that my roommate bought from him. Lots of turbo brick parts on that car in the right places. Too bad the valve adjusts weren't done on a regular basis as should have been. 

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
12/17/18 9:51 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

In for any 242 leftovers. We are just about done with a 2jzgte vvti 5 speed swap in one that is really nice but needs a few things. Let me know what you have

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
12/17/18 9:53 p.m.

Lol. Everyone who ends up with a Volvo project ends up with a yard full of carcasses. 

On a side note, I've been working on my free 745 turbo. Hoping to make it to the 2019 challenge

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/17/18 10:33 p.m.
randyracer said:

Volvo wagons forever.  

Would love a canary yellow 850R with dark wheels 

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
12/18/18 10:01 a.m.

2000? How bad does the interior rattle? How far along to failure is the ETM?

I had a '99 V70 (manual) and have flipped two S70's for mild profit. These cars just don't click for me. I'm a 7/940 devotee.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/18/18 10:07 a.m.

I had a manual S70 briefly, the 5 cylinder does sound pretty good.  Don't do reverse donuts in it unless you're prepared to replace every motor mount...

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
12/18/18 10:25 a.m.
ErikTheSwede said:

In reply to EvanB :

In for any 242 leftovers. We are just about done with a 2jzgte vvti 5 speed swap in one that is really nice but needs a few things. Let me know what you have

It's pretty trashed but let me know what you're looking for and I'll see if I have it.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
12/18/18 3:17 p.m.

In reply to randyracer :

Randy, I remember that Moose-mobile from Daytona ChampCar.

I've inherited the pack of wagons that was Tom's yard-ornaments, but not to give too much of the story away.

The silver car you see here is a base model, so no turbo on that one (which I still drive daily.) As the project title suggests though, there will be some Cross Country action going on for turbo and an AWD platform.

Then, I went and bought an S60R to see what all the fuss was about. Great GT car but it is numb compared to the P80 chassis or any RWD car that came before the both of them.

As it turns out, it's hard to own a Volvo without a turbo and not want just a little more... 5-screaming Vikings in line and all.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/18/18 5:43 p.m.
Miles Wilson said:

In reply to randyracer :

As it turns out, it's hard to own a Volvo without a turbo and not want just a little more... 5-screaming Vikings in line and all.

I think the proper term is “berserkering” ?

”... and not want just a little more... 5-berserkering Vikings in a line and all.”

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/18/18 6:13 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I'll have a Screaming Viking!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/18/18 9:39 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

If 200 windows fit 700s (I think they do) I could use a passenger front door window for a my 760.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
12/19/18 4:23 p.m.

Miles, I still have a 98 S70 T5 manual with a trans problem, but a whole good extra manual trans that I would sell for Challenge money.  T5 manual is 1 of 361 total.

Most here will know but JIC, the T5s had R power but standard body and interior.  Suspension is stock too I believe.  For the folks that want to shred 3/32 of tire and then blend in to traffic when the law looks your way....

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
12/19/18 4:36 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

I'm not sure if they do or not. Unfortunately I scrapped a 740 with all the windows last Saturday. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
12/20/18 10:20 a.m.

For some reason, I just love the V70. Bland, boxy, and FWD. But I still love it.

I wouldn't mind owning one as a daily, but the MPG is likely about the same as my BMW wagon.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/20/18 12:04 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to EvanB :

If 200 windows fit 700s (I think they do) I could use a passenger front door window for a my 760.

Not even close.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/20/18 12:10 p.m.

I really liked my Volvo 850 wagon. It had been pretty neglected prior to my ownership. I caught it up on a lot of deferred maintenance and did a couple upgrades but moved on when it had a couple small issues. I kind of wish I'd stuck with it. Nobody else makes a wagon as practical as that.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
12/23/18 9:04 p.m.

Nice story, and great work.

We all like stories and sharing them on cheap deals and horse trades.

MexicanDragon
MexicanDragon
2/11/19 4:25 a.m.

So I have a 99 V70 XC (DD) and am so excited to follow this project, along with awaiting updates on the E46 M3 project (weekend car). I'm starting to figure out how many spare wagons I can fit at the house without it being an issue.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0SaKibqmbGeINorqy8dRUvf7t8sqp4v6KSg53j8QM9WA00wYkGrOPXeRC3kUBU87