Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/13/19 4:23 p.m.
feature_image

story by Tom Suddard

There's a special kind of insanity that leads one to late-model Volvo wagon ownership, and the bug had clearly bitten us hard. We'd scored a nearly free Volvo and spent a few weeks using it as our daily driver, but it needed a few fixes. The interior wasn't perfect, the tires n…

Read the rest of the story

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/13/19 7:14 p.m.

I have calculated through observation that Volvo wagons are like kittens.  You get one, soon you have fourteen of them.

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
2/13/19 7:22 p.m.

Ive always wanted to get into 5cyl Volvos and that white wagon...is like exactly what I would have wanted

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
2/13/19 7:22 p.m.

Wait, the punchline is "abandon ship"?

(sigh)

I'm on my third one too...over the course of 22 years.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/13/19 7:25 p.m.

There are an awful lot of them consistently on DC cl. Looking pretty clean too. Just sorta non-operable most of the time. smiley

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/13/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop : We’re not abandoning ship, just handing the wheel to a new sailor. Expect the next update in a few days  

chinman
chinman New Reader
2/13/19 8:02 p.m.

We had two 240 wagons with 5-speeds that we loved but the 2002 S60 was bad enough to make us never want to buy another one.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/13/19 8:03 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I have calculated through observation that Volvo wagons are like kittens.  You get one, soon you have fourteen of them.

I don’t think it’s fair to base this solely on Evan

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/13/19 8:25 p.m.

See I told you. Once you have one you quickly end up with a yard full. Then parts cars become DDs.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/14/19 6:16 a.m.
Patrick said:
Knurled. said:

I don’t think it’s fair to base this solely on Evan

Well not all of mine are wagons...

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
2/14/19 10:13 a.m.

In reply to chinman :

You are outlining the basics of smart Volvo ownership: the older, the better.

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
2/14/19 12:33 p.m.

Early December I picked up a well-used but too-cheap-to-ignore '95 850 Turbo wagon from a guy that had two other Volvo wagons.  

After a month of doing maintenance, livability upgrades, and cathartic tinkering, I drove it from Cincinnati, to Chicago, to the top of Michigan, where it got to enjoy -20 degree mornings and unplowed roads for a couple days of chasing around rally cars. Piled on 1500+ miles in 4 or so days and it didn't bat an eye. 

I now get why people collect these things. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/14/19 1:35 p.m.

There y'go, Tom: now you can tell the newest Mrs. S. that you're doing "cathartic tinkering."

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
2/15/19 6:14 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IaeOPnlFeK82hXXY10bB8xYZuxnullR8OKEIiUIodKupAChRZWQR5ik4l2joqPcE