1 2
yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/12/22 8:44 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I think the 987.2 Cayman may go down as the last pure driver's Porsche. I have been thinking about those as well...

I agree.  It will be an iconic car in the near future.  

Seriously, I was hoping they'd hit 987.1 Cayman prices. But they never went below 35k and 987.1 prices have gone up. crying

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/13/22 12:05 a.m.

While I have never ever spent beyond my means, I've always had automotive A.D.D..  I've been fortunate enough to own so many cars I'd never pay what they are commanding today.  Only a few cars that I still want to own but values have gone crazy.  Starquest twins for one.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/13/22 9:18 a.m.

My 'problem' was that I tended to stay with one make/model for long periods and didn't sample all the flavors I could have. I played with 1970s Fiats for 23 years before selling out. Then Audi 5 cylinders for a dozen years. And so on. If I could do it over again, I would have changed brands every few years and tried new things. It was kind of nice being an 'expert' on a particular model, though. And it made keeping a parts stash really easy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/13/22 9:39 a.m.
ddavidv said:

My 'problem' was that I tended to stay with one make/model for long periods and didn't sample all the flavors I could have. I played with 1970s Fiats for 23 years before selling out. Then Audi 5 cylinders for a dozen years. And so on. If I could do it over again, I would have changed brands every few years and tried new things. It was kind of nice being an 'expert' on a particular model, though. And it made keeping a parts stash really easy.

Kinda this?

I mean, I have had a first generation RX-7 literally for my entire adult life.  There is also no way I could ever afford to own another series 1 car, because good ones are priced into "say what?" territory.  On the other hand, the one I had was eighteen years old when I got it.

It would have been interesting to flip around and pour everything into this.  Then that.  Then the other.

On the other hand, once I was able to have "other cars", my "other car" has always been an interesting enthusiast vehicle, so in a way it was like having the best of both worlds.

The parts stash almost becomes a liability, though.  You find people selling you THEIR stashes for less than scrap value, and you're thinking, E36 M3, I paid $200 for all this and this one part could sell for $1500 on eBay.  Better keep it in case I need it, I don't want to spend that kind of money if I do.  And you get so invested you can't just say okay, time to move on, I want a BR-Z or something.

mke
mke Dork
3/13/22 9:40 a.m.

I think a lot of it is dumb luck.  In 2000 I bought a 308 mostly because the new MR2 that I wanted and drove to the dealer only to find they'd just taken a deposit meant no sports car for the summer for me unless I looked at other options.  Wait, a 308 is the same price? and just about exactly all the money I had....even though it was blue but I figured a blue car the really needs paint is a red car so I bought it. 

Dumb luck, unless you ask my wife, then its was just plain dumb but she was not yet my wife so here we are laugh

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
3/13/22 10:19 a.m.

I made a few boats but sold them too soon. '65 21 window VW was the worst.

I passed up a $16k e30 M3 that I was ready to pull the trigger on but the wife and I agreed that a Tacoma and a 914 would be better, I still have those.

I really want a twin grill 356 but I know that ship sailed. 

We are trying to get a Karmann Ghia but it is not a great priority right now and that boat is getting expensive.

I bought a 987.1 instead of a G50 911 when they were about the same price. Only minor regrets there. The 987 will never be a cash cow (I don't buy cars for profit anyways) because I drive it all the time and the miles are adding up.

I jumped on a '12 Golf R as an R is on the bucket list, but with a salvage title it will never be worth anything.

I am $12k into a '85 Westfalia that is in 'good' condition. That will probably go for sale this year as we don't use it much and want to buy property in TN.

A buddy of mine bought a '86 930 sight unseen for $36k by the time it shipped to NH from LA it was worth about $85k. berkeleyer.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/14/22 9:45 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

E30s have always been my thing even though I haven't had one in a decade now. I had a couple of chances to buy an E30 M3 for around $15k when I was in my late 20s but thought "nah, still too much." I had just purchased a super clean 318is with ground controls and other stuff for $3500. And had my S52 swapped E30 in the garage. 

What an idiot I look like in hindsight.....if I had bought either of the E30 M3s I had a chance at the profit ratio would be ridiculous. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/14/22 10:03 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I missed the (in order):

1). Ferrari 308 boat

2). Porsche 911 SC boat

3). Mazda RX-7 FD boat

4). Porsche 996 turbo boat

5). Porsche 996 GT3 boat

And a few others I really wanted and could've bought once upon a time.....

I may miss the 987 Cayman boat soon too.

yeah its crazy watching the FD prices creep up over the past few years then exploded. I used to laugh at finding a bare shell for 5-7k now a rolling chassis is around 10-15k

the 12k FD from a few years ago is now 25k and now 30K+ for a decently unmolested one is even fading fast. 

100K$ E30 M3 is crazy too its even more in Germany 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
3/14/22 10:56 a.m.

I missed a bunch that I wanted to own too.  Even a IDI diesel Ford, I recently looked at some and you can't even get one that would be safe to drive home for $8k.  I wanted a 986 Boxster and I did get one for only slightly more than I wanted to pay, it's still sitting in my garage on jackstands but I don't think I would have had another chance.  I would like a W140 mercedes 300SD or S350 but I probably missed those too.  I see them come up sometimes but there are a dozen people in line within an hour of the ad being posted.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DIDXVuLoqJmdScl8rzWJ48CKCGZjJkYoLtGful9B5hcZrBDCW6Uegk6yFMASjN9r