turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
4/5/10 2:24 p.m.

http://hem.passagen.se/hemipanter/

Yeah, I know you're thinking that its just a cool looking Pantera, right?

You'd be right, to a point.

It is actually more bad-ass than that.

It is Hemi powered.

and not just the Hemi-branded motors that Chrysler is putting out, but the original 8L mutha, now with 180 degree headers and a modified tunnel ram.

Oh and did I forget to mention that the owner also used to make guitars and speaker cabinets for a living? For ABBA, Zepelin, Cream, etc.

Here's the awesomeness in his own words:

"Fast sports cars.

I am a 65 years old "former" guitar builder. In fact I still do build guitars now and then for special customers. PA speaker system and bass exponential horn construction was also a big part of my work. Right now I am also working on my second book about chassis engineering. So the car is sort of a testing bench as I find "real world experience" mandatory to be able to write with my own words. I am also an old rock band bass player at the 60-70: s. As for sports, ski jumping, was my favorite at young age. In later years slalom was the things until my right knee get broken. In the 80: s I did a lot weight lifting and bodybuilding where power lifting was my best discipline. Model jet airplane racing is another favorite, using pulsjet engine. And of course, sports car driving is top of the line.

The faster the better. There are very few fast factory cars to buy on the market. In fact, most "sports cars" are regular cars with another look. Those cars are OK for a city night cruises, but I am more interested in no compromise driving machines. Real fast sports cars, starts off at $400000. Like McLaren or Ferrari F-40. A little to much for me. So, there is but one thing left to me . To take a suitable "sports car", rebuild and modify the chassis and supply it with a powerful engine. I am not harboring the idea of creating the ultimate sports car. But I don't mind trying . There are no such beast as the "ultimate" or, "the best" sports car anyway. Any car can only be made to suite a specific purpose. Anything too much or less, to serve that purpose, is an engineering failure. As Colin Chapman once stated, the car should fall in apart when passing the finish line. If it does earlier, it's to weak. And if it does after the finish line, it is to heavily built.

A short history. I bought my first Pantera 31 years ago. Over the years this car has had 5 different engines; Ex a NASCAR 302 Ford by Falconeer, a 500 cui 385 Ford etc. I have also used a number of different suspension parts and brakes. During the gulf war business went bad, so I had to sell the car. When the sun started to climb again it was time to build oneself a new Pantera.( But Of Course, it had to be a Pantera!!) but what power plant could fill the bill? I had already used almost every Ford motor (save a SOHC) and starved for something different. Today, Chrysler makes the V-10 Viper. A fairly fast car. But, in case you did not know, 35 years ago Chrysler produced an engine beyond comparison. Making the cars it powered as fast, or even faster, than the Viper, (however, though, not around corners).

The present car. Pantera GT-5, totally restored. Crowned with the muscle engine of all times, the 426 HEMI. Stroked to 526cui. The GT-5 was released in 1980. Basically the same old Pantera but sporting a wing, fenders and skirts. Plus the old group-4 wheels 10x15 and 13x15. Heavier bars-shocks-spring combination and larger bearing rear uprights. However, my car is a 1973 GTS, having been converted with the factory GT-5 set up. 1999 I had the car legally registered including tire dimensions, roll cage, GT-5 set up and last but not least, the HEMI engine with injection"

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/5/10 5:12 p.m.

I need a pantera...

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/5/10 5:32 p.m.

Holy E36 M3!!!!!!!

A 526ci Hemi. I don't want to run into this thing in a dark alley, it would chew me up and spit me out in very tiny toothpicks.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
4/5/10 5:44 p.m.

I love Panteras, but the price isn't going to come down enough for me. Ah well.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
4/5/10 7:33 p.m.

I love the work he's done on the car, much of it very Grassroots in nature. I could see myself doing similar things (if I could focus long enough).

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/5/10 7:39 p.m.

that is a couple of decades worth of focus....

oldtin
oldtin Reader
4/5/10 7:58 p.m.

...and he hangs out with fire-eating swedish girls - this guy is my hero!

jrg77
jrg77 New Reader
4/5/10 8:16 p.m.

"Being musically inclined & a guitar builder is also a great help , as I know the RPM by the note of the engine."

There's so much depth in that sentence that I had to stop reading and look at nature for a while.

pres589
pres589 Reader
4/5/10 8:29 p.m.

The Monteverdi Hai just called and it wants to let this guy know that it's been done before, by the Swiss no less.

stroker
stroker Reader
4/5/10 9:13 p.m.

no transaxle info...

Figures....

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
4/5/10 11:54 p.m.

Uses the stock ZF unit apparently with a custom multi-plate clutch and bell-housing adapter with a Volvo 140 slave cylinder sleeved to fit in the stock location.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/6/10 6:24 a.m.

Great looking car. Horrible looking website (and the ABBA guitar isn't that impressive to me).

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/6/10 6:34 a.m.

teh sek-c

EricM
EricM Dork
4/6/10 8:59 a.m.

need more ABBA, oh wait, I meant, cool car!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/6/10 9:34 a.m.

Holy crap, I stumbled accross that site many years ago before the Pantera was finished. Now he's built a Vette too. Way cool....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/6/10 9:36 a.m.
EricM wrote: need more ABBA, oh wait, I meant, cool car!

Having had a girlfriend when I was younger who was a massive ABBA fan I was forced to listen to everything they ever did over, and over, and over and.... It sort of get's in to you and one day you wake up liking it. Now 20 odd years later (damn, I'm getting old!) my wife jokes I'm the only straight guy in the world who can sing along word perfect to anything they've ever done!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/6/10 11:21 a.m.

heeee.... do not worry, some ABBA songs live on in the club scene too.. mostly as part of remixes

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/6/10 8:31 p.m.

More Swede goodness

http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27929&highlight=super8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k9eLUY1klLYTkrHCWEM2ALaHJYdALb94i22s7e3Iv2TBG0hQaxM4E4z9f7LDoGrD