1 2
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/7/13 8:27 a.m.

I saw a "cheapish" 308GTS on Hemmings this morning:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ferrari/308gts/1534589.html?refer=news

"'80 Ferrari 308 GTS – in Rosso Corsa with black interior. This vehicle has 10,064 miles and there has been a great deal of money spent on this car. It also comes with propane tanks for racing."

Nevermind how the driver's seat could be so worn in a car with 10K miles... WTH is up with the propane tanks stuffed into every available crevis?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
3/7/13 8:35 a.m.

Propane has a higher octane rating than gas, but this is weird...dual fuel car? I would not be comfortable with that set up.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
3/7/13 8:39 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I saw a "cheapish" 308GTS on Hemmings this morning: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ferrari/308gts/1534589.html?refer=news "'80 Ferrari 308 GTS – in Rosso Corsa with black interior. This vehicle has 10,064 miles and there has been a great deal of money spent on this car. It also comes with propane tanks for racing." Nevermind how the driver's seat could be so worn in a car with 10K miles... WTH is up with the propane tanks stuffed into every available crevis?

308's have the worlds cheapest leather on the bolsters. Every single one I have been in looks like that unless it is a museum or restoration piece.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/7/13 8:48 a.m.

No idea...if it was a rock crawler it would make sense but I doubt he drives this thing at extreme angles.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
3/7/13 8:48 a.m.

Well, at least you'd go out with a (gigantic) bang if you crashed it.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/7/13 8:56 a.m.

Looks like a scuba divers car. Apparently ratchet straps are cheap...

He can't be bothered with correctly mounting the bottles, he's got to drive a Ferrari to impress others...

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/7/13 9:07 a.m.

Wow, that's dangerous!!! Propane conversion are nothing new. They are very popular in Europe because propane is a lot cheaper than gas over there. But seriously?????

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
3/7/13 9:28 a.m.

Mother of pearl I have done some dumb things in my time but dam does that look unsafe. You know I think you would need to placard that car with that amount of propane on board. I think if you have more then 100lbs ? I don't remember the exact amount but when I was working for a roofing company and we had to get propane tanks re filled for the kettle we were limited to the number of tanks on the truck due to placarding requirements and the need for special permits.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/7/13 9:35 a.m.

Hank Hill is deeply conflicted about this.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
3/7/13 9:47 a.m.

I am betting ther are about 22 tanks in that thing. At 20 lbs each we are looking at 440 lbs of propane.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
3/7/13 9:48 a.m.

I bet there are a couple hiding under the seats too.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
3/7/13 9:56 a.m.

Given his bottle mounting skills, I doubt any of it actually connected to anything.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
3/7/13 10:07 a.m.

Besides the inherent safety flaws of that, that car must be 100000% over its gross capacity too.

Someone needs to rescue this poor thing...

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
3/7/13 11:34 a.m.

I think the real question is whether its cheap enough to remove(and sell) all the propane stuff, fix whatever other problems it has, and still end up with a cheap-ish 308?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/7/13 11:43 a.m.

This setup is irresponsible and dangerous but I do love propane. --Ricky Bobby

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/7/13 11:52 a.m.

It probably passes Cali emmisions though.....

And it looks like a power supply for the owners garage meth lab.....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/7/13 12:06 p.m.

20 some odd years ago there was a guy here in Columbia with an AMC Ambassador wagon set up to run on propane. The tank was mounted on the roof and was at least 50 gallons capacity. The tank was so heavy the car leaned to the right, it was scary to see the thing going 75MPH on the Interstate leaning to the right with that gigantic tank on the roof.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/7/13 12:31 p.m.

I wish there were pictures of that.

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC Reader
3/7/13 12:36 p.m.

at first I was like then I was like, "no tank you, that seems like a propane in the butt to get back to safe."

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
3/7/13 12:39 p.m.

PO = Hank Hill

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
3/7/13 5:16 p.m.

I have always wanted to convert a car to propane. If I had a fill station around here it would be cool. I think one thing would be to set it up so you could run off the blue rhino tanks or at least have the ability to plug in one as a reserve that you could then get a replacement at just about anyplace around here. At about $20 for one of those tanks I am betting it is cheaper than gasoline.

Mmadness
Mmadness New Reader
3/7/13 5:33 p.m.

Those aren't exactly your standard issue BlueRhinos either. These are clearly carbon fiber wound high-pressure tanks.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
3/7/13 6:55 p.m.

Those are not propane tanks, CNG perhaps?

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
3/7/13 7:04 p.m.

Is it me or how do you circulate air out of the radiator?

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/7/13 8:38 p.m.

In reply to shadetree30: Its a Ferrari......it wasn't designed to do that in the first place, as it was designed to catch on fire

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W47uQoNTmbw6ZDUy8VO1aajgwCIFnqa2BdPDCxsWGL43J8FKECzFn4kGySBRc3ip