1 2 3
smog7
smog7 New Reader
6/16/08 9:24 p.m.

As I was browsing through ross today I came across these "driving loafers" from banana republic: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=6852&pid=547908&scid=547908032 They were a cheap $20, but they didnt have my size.. This got me thinking about the van slip ons and lace ups that I usually wear on my "spirited" runs. I like these because like the loafers they have a thin flexible sole that lets me feel the pedal input better, and are somewhat light. so anyone else have a favorite low buck driving shoe

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/16/08 9:28 p.m.

It looks like they would get all stained with oil. Too Light of a color.

Me? A pair of Nike's.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/16/08 9:31 p.m.

off-brand crocks, I take them off and drive bare foot

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
6/16/08 11:36 p.m.

i vouch for vans slip-ons. many styles to choose from. not too thin, not too thick, and wide enough for heel-toe downshifting and not too wide like DC skateshoes that are way big and kinda get jumbled when trying to move fast and smooth on left foot braking.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/16/08 11:54 p.m.

There is but one fake driving shoe and adidas is his prophet. Seriously.

I've got a pair of adidas indoor soccer shoes (model unknown, they're the traditional black w/ white stripes, a rounded heel and 8 white circles on the bottom), and they're great at walking or driving. I've got insanely flat feet, and they feel good no matter how long I've been standing,

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
6/17/08 6:36 a.m.

I've got 2 pairs of Puma Speedcats. Very comfortable, in style with the 20-somethings at the moment and made for specifically for driving. They are very narrow soled though so you may have to adjust your heel-toe technique but the overall feel is wonderful. Unfortunately they're not exactly grassroots cheap. I got the 2 pair at the local Puma outlet for around 80 bucks last year. Scott

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
6/17/08 7:18 a.m.

Best and only driving shoe that fits my 9.5 WIDE is a Dragon Slayer from Captial Motorsports. Thet fit were no other brand did infact sometimes i make the drive home from the track in them.

http://www.cmwraceparts.com/Equipment/equipment135.html

about 1/2 way down the page. They go on sale twice a year.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/17/08 7:26 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: off-brand crocks, I take them off and drive bare foot

Not sure how that would fly at an organized event, but in NY it will get you a ticket just driving around. The logic is you would not depress the pedals as hard as necessary when in panic mode with no shoes on.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
6/17/08 7:27 a.m.

I love my Adidas Tuscanys for driving. The soles are even made of recycled Goodyear tires.

I have a pair of Pilotis that I haven't tried yet. Should definitely pull those out of the closet.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
6/17/08 7:33 a.m.

I wore a pair of Converse "Chuck Taylors" when I started racing. One of my nurse friends asked me to switch to a pair of racing shoes so I didn't end up gettin burned....still got the chucks though.

therex
therex Dork
6/17/08 7:39 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: There is but one fake driving shoe and adidas is his prophet. Seriously. I've got a pair of adidas indoor soccer shoes (model unknown, they're the traditional black w/ white stripes, a rounded heel and 8 white circles on the bottom),

Sambas?

Adidas Sambas

If you don't have a super wide foot, (like I do) they're pretty much the greatest bargain driving shoe ever. Even if your foot is a little on the wide side, they're still an awesome shoe.

Otherwise, I mean, there's always Piloti, but those banana republic things in the OP look like something I'd wear driving my triptronic Boxster. "Oh yehs, venever I drive mein Porsche, I alvays vear seze vonderful Drivenslippengalbschuhfoovers."

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
6/17/08 8:30 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Not sure how that would fly at an organized event, but in NY it will get you a ticket just driving around. The logic is you would not depress the pedals as hard as necessary when in panic mode with no shoes on.

That is a popular misconception. I was told,actually a group of school bus drivers, by a NYS Trooper that it was not agains the law.

Clay
Clay Reader
6/17/08 8:39 a.m.

I picked up a pair of Adidas wrestling shoes a few years back and I really like them. I bought some other shoes and I could get any second pair for 50% off so I got them for $25 or so. They are a bit narrow, but very good for feel.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/17/08 9:00 a.m.

I wear these all the time, soft, grippy and cooler (less hot) than sneakers.

http://68.249.38.235/tmscart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=19&cat=Men's+Moosehide

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
6/17/08 9:27 a.m.

Puma speedcats and Piloti's (Prototipo's , and others)

/thread

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/17/08 11:02 a.m.

I prefer a low-top converse or a well broken in pair of vans.

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
6/17/08 8:34 p.m.

+1 for Adidis Sambas I've worn them for the last 20 yrs as everything from casual shoes to my track days shoe of choice. I am planning to try out some Pilotis but for now the Samba is my shoe to beat.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/17/08 9:51 p.m.

i have a pair of puma driftcats (basically the same as the speedcat) that i do my "fun" driving in. like someone mentioned, not really grassroots, but pretty good anyways.

Luke
Luke HalfDork
6/18/08 6:47 a.m.

You mightn't be able to get them in the States, but Dunlop Volleys (the original tennis shoe), are $20 a pair at Target in Australia. I find they make for a pretty good budget driving shoe.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer New Reader
6/18/08 9:40 a.m.

Can't find it right now but you have to wear some sort of close toed shoes for autocross with SCCA. We strictly enforce no open toed shoes. Even flip flops can come off while on course and catch under the pedal and cause some serious problems.

I purchased my Adidas wrestling shoes at the end of the summer in 2002 for $20. They are high tops to give more support and have a very thin sole which gives great feedback of what your car is doing.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/18/08 9:52 a.m.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Sport-Fusion-Athleisure/dp/B000BYAZ5K

I am wearing them right now.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/18/08 4:51 p.m.
therex wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: There is but one fake driving shoe and adidas is his prophet. Seriously. I've got a pair of adidas indoor soccer shoes (model unknown, they're the traditional black w/ white stripes, a rounded heel and 8 white circles on the bottom),
Sambas? Adidas Sambas If you don't have a super wide foot, (like I do) they're pretty much the greatest bargain driving shoe ever. Even if your foot is a little on the wide side, they're still an awesome shoe. Otherwise, I mean, there's always Piloti, but those banana republic things in the OP look like something I'd wear driving my triptronic Boxster. "Oh yehs, venever I drive mein Porsche, I alvays vear seze vonderful Drivenslippengalbschuhfoovers."

Nope. My previous pair were Sambas, these are slightly different. 8 little white circles on the sole.

Still, the Sambas work well too!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/18/08 5:09 p.m.

I actually use a pair of Adidas Salas. Think Sambas, but thinner soles and snugger fit.

Although i'm coming to really enjoy driving with a pair of Aasics Onitsuka Tiger Ultimates that i got a couple weeks ago from Journeys for like... $30.

Previously i used a worn down to flat soles Merrell Sprint Blasts.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture New Reader
6/18/08 9:29 p.m.
iceracer wrote:
914Driver wrote:
That is a popular misconception. I was told,actually a group of school bus drivers, by a NYS Trooper that it was not agains the law.

My NYS DMV student driver booklet says its illegal.

The idea isnt pedal force, its keeping hot fluid off your footsies in an emergency situation.

smog7
smog7 Dork
6/19/08 1:04 a.m.
Luke wrote: You mightn't be able to get them in the States, but Dunlop Volleys (the original tennis shoe), are $20 a pair at Target in Australia. I find they make for a pretty good budget driving shoe.

I like these

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Rt9c4PmxvwTK2nKZiX9aZIKtWgcFdm1Oo882piWtROQULkH73yuo6SKkWnfEK74