1 2 3 4
bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/19/08 6:56 a.m.

If you like those, you might also like a pair of 'Jacks'.

Stupidly priced at trendy shops everywhere, but I got two pairs (one white, one black) at the Converse Factory Store for under $20 a pair. Thin, flexible, grippy sole + lightweight and comfy.

gweeb
gweeb New Reader
6/28/08 10:16 p.m.

OKAY. There are "driving" and there are "racing" shoes.

Racing: The road racers I know pretty much stick with actual racing shoes or LEATHER wrestling shoes (both lace up with non-flammable laces). To actually pass tech inspection, leather lace-up street shoes are also acceptable - but of course they have thick soles (bad).

Driving: IMO if you want comfort and control, lace ups are the way to go. Now if there were flat soled laceup moccasins that would be awesome, but keds boat shoes would be okay. Loafers make for sloppy driving when it counts. Forget heel & toe. It's always a pain when students show up in loafer "driving" shoes at club track events.

Unfortunately, most really good driving shoes don't look as cool and trendy as the stuff in magazines. Doesn't really matter how they look because YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO WALK AROUND IN THEM. Take 'em off when you get out of the car & put on your gucci loafers.

JohnSSC
JohnSSC New Reader
6/29/08 6:52 a.m.

Another bump for the Speedcats. Use mine for autocross and a day driving spec miatas and a star mazda. Great pedal feel and no issues regarding bulkiness.

Indoor soccer shoes are an excellent choice and can be had at places like Kohl's for dirt cheap during those "end of season sales."

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
6/29/08 4:21 p.m.

Chuck Taylor's work well. They've got a thin sole that can suck for walking all day, but they work pretty well for driving. I've never had a problem just wearing my Nike's though?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
6/29/08 4:25 p.m.

I'm not a hardcore racer, more an occasional auto-x'er. But I love Minnetonka Moccasins, here's a pic. The prices are rising lately for some reason, they used to be $30, now they're like $45. Mine have all been worn out, but I've been wearing Bass Weejun Tassle Loafers for driving. Hardly a race shoe. I'd like to get a pair of the shoes shown below the mocs next, they're pretty cool and not too expensive, around $90. Photobucket Photobucket

kishi2009
kishi2009
1/18/09 10:57 p.m.

My favouriate are Nike and Adidas shoes.For more fashionable and cheapest shoes,please visit www.nikeboss.com

Josh
Josh Reader
1/18/09 11:13 p.m.

This seems like a good time to point out that Bargain Outfitters currently has the Piloti Spyder SV for $39.95, most sizes available. They seem to be well regarded, I will pass judgment once I get them in my hands (ordered them Friday). Use coupon code BF1144 to save an additional $5 off shipping.

I think that last guy has us covered for canoes though.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/18/09 11:19 p.m.

I have a pair of 93 octane shoes got then for 20 is beans at shoe carnival though I wear my knock off chucks more

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/18/09 11:21 p.m.

+1 for wrestling shoes!

for the colder rallycross events, I actually wear my snowboard boots while working corners, and the inner liners while driving. I put some grippy material on the bottom of the liners so they don't slip off the pedals.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/18/09 11:25 p.m.

I need to dig up my wresting shoes

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
1/19/09 12:21 a.m.
iceracer wrote: That is a popular misconception. I was told,actually a group of school bus drivers, by a NYS Trooper that it was not agains the law.

Maybe not, but wearing crocs should be.

Shawn

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/19/09 12:59 a.m.
Josh wrote: This seems like a good time to point out that Bargain Outfitters currently has the Piloti Spyder SV for $39.95, most sizes available. They seem to be well regarded, I will pass judgment once I get them in my hands (ordered them Friday). Use coupon code BF1144 to save an additional $5 off shipping. I think that last guy has us covered for canoes though.

That is a great sight! I just looked around there and they have really good prices. Thanks for the tip..

jde
jde Reader
1/19/09 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Josh:

I was going to post that link. I ordered a couple pairs for "inventory" recently. They also had the Nomex-lined mid-top DTM model, but are down to only size 7 now.

I've ordered from Bargain Outfitters a couple times. No issues. Well-packaged, and quick shipment.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
1/19/09 9:20 a.m.

Piloti Prototipos or G16s. Look at them with Google Images.

Raze
Raze Reader
1/19/09 10:15 a.m.

Not that it matters, but many years ago I had a pair of loafers that had Goodyear Aquatred soles, I always wanted some MT, Nitto, or Khumo treds though ;)

iceracer
iceracer Reader
1/19/09 10:20 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
neon4891 wrote: off-brand crocks, I take them off and drive bare foot
Not sure how that would fly at an organized event, but in NY it will get you a ticket just driving around. The logic is you would not depress the pedals as hard as necessary when in panic mode with no shoes on.

That is an old rumor. Not true. Told by a NYS trooper at a school bus driver class.

kishi2009
kishi2009 New Reader
1/20/09 8:54 p.m.

kishi2009
kishi2009 New Reader
1/20/09 8:56 p.m.

http://www.nikeboss.com/shoes-s/nike-jordan-23-11.jpg

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
2/13/09 12:29 a.m.

Canoe!

Tom Heath
2/13/09 12:31 a.m.

Speaking of driving shoes, Santa Claus brought me a pair of DC ProSpecs.

Love them.

Josh
Josh Reader
2/13/09 2:22 a.m.

I wasn't even aware that DC made driving shoes, but I guess I should have figured as much given Ken Block's current hobby :). Looks nice, they certainly aren't cheap though.

I really like the Pilotis so far, I have only worn them a couple times (yeah, the waterproof Timberlands I got around the same time have been more appropriate around here lately), but they are surprisingly comfortable for what they are. I could definitely wear these all day, unlike some of the other shoes I have bought for this purpose. I was a bit surprised how stiff they are, I assumed they'd be floppier like wrestling shoes, but it doesn't seem to be a problem behind the wheel. I basically can't drive the Miata at all with those Timberlands on, despite their other virtues :).

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
2/13/09 4:48 a.m.

I have two pair of driving shoes. Once for the track and go-karting, the other for every day use. The everyday use set is a pair of Clarks Driving Mocs (much like the loafers in the first post). They have lasted me great and are very nice to drive in, comfortable to walk in and all that jazz. Mine are a light brown though.

My psuedo racing shoes are the A-typical racing shoe posers. Puma Speed Cats.

Tom Heath
2/13/09 8:23 a.m.
Josh wrote: I wasn't even aware that DC made driving shoes, but I guess I should have figured as much given Ken Block's current hobby :). Looks nice, they certainly aren't cheap though.

Rumor has it that my wife...err...Santa scored a 60% off coupon, making the pricetag much easier to digest.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
2/13/09 8:44 a.m.

For long distance driving (think Charlottesville, VA to Maine or Florida), I like my LL Bean Driving Mocs. Got them for $15 at one of their outlets (wouldn't pay the normal $80ish for them though). For autocross, I love my Piloti Spyders. More room in the toe box for my oddly shaped feet. If I ever get into real racing, I have Pilotis in nomex and a high top, but I can't remember the model.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/13/09 9:08 a.m.
Tom Heath said: Rumor has it that my wife...err...Santa scored a 60% off coupon, making the pricetag much easier to digest.

If you work a Rally America event, you get a 50% off coupon for any DC item...I'm gettin' Pro Spec's

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JDQgot9k2zjor2WPfJMqt2at6G4JFsKyQlPmMPZY6nxLhNT0BWCtOKK5xDbuCfC2