1 2
hoochmcfluff
hoochmcfluff New Reader
8/27/13 4:17 p.m.

After years of drooling and driving a regular CTS, today I bought my 2005 CTS V. I nearly poo'd myself just accelerating in 3rd.

I got a saab 9-3 to tame the beast a few months ago but my wife stole it for her daily driver. Hardest question to answer was her when she said "What does the V stand for?"

It has an odd paint for the V and a 2 tones interior. Aparently per the dealer, it as a custom one off

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/27/13 4:20 p.m.

Cool! Looks nice. Judging from what I've heard, stay off the autocross course with it. Otherwise, wail the hell out of a cool car. Congrats!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/27/13 4:24 p.m.

Wow, that color is tasty! Any shots of the interior?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/27/13 4:26 p.m.

Lovin' it! These are on my short list.

Will
Will Dork
8/27/13 4:36 p.m.
Duke wrote: Judging from what I've heard, stay off the autocross course with it.

O RLY?

They handle well for something that size, but that size prevents them from being competitive, of course. I ran mine in ESP for a little less than a full season and had a lot of fun with it.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/27/13 4:39 p.m.

Maybe it's an oil starvation thing.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
8/27/13 4:41 p.m.

Did they strengthen the diffs by '05?

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
8/27/13 5:10 p.m.

I think it's an airbag thing, but on the newer ones.

Will
Will Dork
8/27/13 5:13 p.m.
gjz30075 wrote: Did they strengthen the diffs by '05?

No. Made me sad to have a 400 hp car that couldn't do a burnout. I never hurt mine, but I got wicked axle hop plenty of times and had to back out of it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/27/13 5:50 p.m.

Congrats. Cool car, huh?

calteg
calteg Reader
8/27/13 5:51 p.m.
Will wrote:
gjz30075 wrote: Did they strengthen the diffs by '05?
No. Made me sad to have a 400 hp car that couldn't do a burnout. I never hurt mine, but I got wicked axle hop plenty of times and had to back out of it.

This. The "clunk" will never go away, no matter what you do. Make peace with it. If you're still on the stock fluid filled mounts, I'd start looking for solid mounts now. Just a matter of time before they leak.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/27/13 6:57 p.m.

The cts-v really looks like a cool car, saw one the other day, makes you rethink cadillac. For me a caddy has to be 20 ft long though love the 63-64 coupe deville.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
8/27/13 7:20 p.m.

Dave,

V stands for Va-room.

Caddy refers to Vengeance in the ad below, but never really marketed what it stands for. Reading between the lines, it's probably Victory, as in a checkered flag over a BMW M-series.

So is the Mrs. the girl with the Chevelle from a few years ago?

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/27/13 7:53 p.m.

Nice car. Know exactly what you mean about the wife and the 9-3. Mine loves ours.

Will
Will Dork
8/27/13 9:26 p.m.

Just some notes on problems I had with mine:

--Had the diff mounts replaced at ~35k miles, and they needed replacement again when I sold it at ~85k.

--The radiator cracked just shy of 50k miles.

--The oil temp sensor went berserk after a while and would constantly insist that the oil temp was ~300 degrees. That set off the world's most annoying alarm. Turning the car off and then back on seemed to reset the sensor.

--I broke a shock once. There are two factory shock options: the standard ones are FE4, and the optional performance shocks are FG2. I had the latter, and naturally, they were only sold in sets of 4.

--Paint flaked off the interior buttons. If the car's under 50k miles, it should be covered under warranty.

--Pretty sure I broke at least one motor mount launching at the drag strip.

I'm not trying to get you all worried. Seriously, enjoy the car. I did.

hoochmcfluff
hoochmcfluff New Reader
8/27/13 9:54 p.m.

Hey Rob, Lol I knew what the V meant, explaining it to a significant other is another thing. Also, PM me, i have to stop by the shop

Someone asked for pics of the interior. This is the dash and G-Force meter

And this is the Two Tone interior:

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/27/13 10:16 p.m.
Duke wrote: Cool! Looks nice. Judging from what I've heard, stay off the autocross course with it. Otherwise, wail the hell out of a cool car. Congrats!

A guy locally does really well with his V.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/27/13 11:10 p.m.

Also plan on these:

• Aluminum Radiator: Drop in replacement. Just remember to do lower belt tensioner BEFORE installing the radiator
  • Creative Steel mounts: This will lessen the parade clunk . . .but as stated earlier, live with it
  • Drain and fill the diff (stock diff juice is fine)
  • LS7 clutch and flywheel: When it's time to do the clutch, get all LS7 stuff and dump that dual mass junk

That's the last thing on the list for my V. HOPEFULLY, I don't have to replace the driveshaft as I getting a low freq sound in 1st-4th gear and noise and vibration in 5th and 6th. It's similar to what my BMWs did when a new center support bearing is needed. Of course on the V, it is non-serviceable item. The only fix is a new or aftermarket driveshaft starting at $800 and goes up from there.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/28/13 6:10 a.m.

Congrats! I've had mine for a year now and still have palpitations when I drive this car. Getting on the gas in a banked on ramp with the G meter saying " oh E36 M3" makes my insides scream with excitement like a preteen at a boy band concert. Needless to say I'm in love.

I did an autocross and it was not very competitive on a wet day with a just resealed slippery asphalt top. Time wise i got my ass handed to me by a beater corolla with a slush box. Still, driving and trying to coral this beast was fun as hell.

Also Careful the wife doesn't borrow it too often because it will become her dd before long.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
8/28/13 7:04 a.m.

Cool car. I still want a V wagon in the worst way. I always imaging myself as the coolest stay at home dad in the world with a V wagon.
It always seemed like they would be a better lapping car than an autocross car. Anyone done laps in one?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
8/28/13 7:11 a.m.

You're living the dream man, enjoy!

Pat
Pat HalfDork
8/28/13 7:43 a.m.

CTS-V is one of my daily craigslist searches...I really want a silver '06 or '07.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/28/13 7:43 a.m.

nice, those are pretty great looking cars...surprising amount of GM love in this thread. Gives me hope...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/28/13 7:45 a.m.

Cool car! I've always liked these.

The only thing that I find strange is that weirdo 6-bolt wheel pattern. Does anyone but GM make wheels that fit, you know, if you wanted winter wheels or track wheels? I know they changed this on the 2nd gen cars.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
8/28/13 7:48 a.m.

I have a customer who always complains about the clunk but will never fix it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KCkPNWxbkkNebDItOnpxKzqGTy1fNvDKaCZiKhv6PGShfPt6SAfDlHHp7n4VUllV