1 2 3
SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/23/17 5:02 p.m.
hhaase wrote: I'd walk away at that point, for a couple reasons. 1. They're trying to hose you, pure and simple. It's a kit that takes a half hour to install. 2. Never again, if I can avoid it, will I permit dealer installed aftermarket electronics. I've yet to see an aftermarket alarm, entertainment system, remote start, lights, or anything electronic that was installed well. FACTORY kits, which just plug in, are a different story. If they already installed an aftermarket kit for this? Chances are it's crap, overpriced, and badly installed.

Your second point would be my primary concern, even over the money.

If you are shelling out for a BRAND-NEW car you want it the way it came from the factory. I guarantee if some dealership hack has been messing around in your interior panels will not be put back in alignment, or something that was held on with ten clips is now held on by 3, or the plastic that was supposed to keep noise out has been sliced open, or all of the above.

wae
wae Dork
1/23/17 5:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Trackmouse wrote:
wae wrote:
red_stapler wrote: My GTI has anti theft etching on the windows because I wasn't firm enough with the dealer. I absolutely regret it, and every time I wash the car I'm reminded of my mistake. You should totally walk if they insist on you paying for that. As as aside, the BCM in the GTI supports turning on the 4 way hazard lights if you exceed a certain brake pressure and decelerate more than x mph.
According to the latest The Grand Tour, Fiats do that too. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but my inclination is to like the idea.
I saw that too. The Alfa also flashed its hazards under hard braking? Weird.
A lot of European cars do it, I think Mercedes might have bee the first. It's a logical and simple feature in a modern car. If you're on the interstate and have to nail the brakes, it's good to warn the guy behind you that E36 M3 is going down and you're not just brushing the pedal.
The panic-stop hazard-flash is required on EU sold vehicles, and has been for a number of years. We can't do it here because our dumb laws state your red stop light can also be your turn signal, whereas over there the turn indicator has to be a separate (and usually amber) light.

So in other words, it's basically communist?

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
1/23/17 5:24 p.m.

Just like a first date with a potential mate. If it starts off with lying and deceit, there is no future. Same deal for buying a car from a dealership that lies. Every single time you have to deal with them in the future about anything, you're going to be walking in the door just knowing you're about to get taken advantage of in some way.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
1/23/17 8:16 p.m.

At least make sure to give the dealership a bad review on their survey. They get so excited when you do that.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/24/17 7:46 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: ^Turn signals have to be amber in the EU.
...The way God intended.

One big problem with using the brake light bulb for turn signals is that if you have problems with the turn signal or hazard switch it can prevent your brake lights from working. At least thats how it used to be, maybe they have corrected that flaw by now.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/24/17 8:54 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
...The way God intended.
One big problem with using the brake light bulb for turn signals is that if you have problems with the turn signal or hazard switch it can prevent your brake lights from working. At least thats how it used to be, maybe they have corrected that flaw by now.

I always hated the "lazy way" American car makers intertwined the brake and turn signals. Amber turn signals in the back may or may not work aesthetically, but I do prefer separate lights for both functions. At least the 3rd brake light put to rest most of the "are they turning or just touching the brakes" questions.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/24/17 1:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
gearheadmb wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
...The way God intended.
I always hated the "lazy way" American car makers intertwined the brake and turn signals. Amber turn signals in the back may or may not work aesthetically, but I do prefer separate lights for both functions. At least the 3rd brake light put to rest most of the "are they turning or just touching the brakes" questions.

Amber turn signals are great, except when they're not. GMC Acadia surrounds it with the brake/tail lamp, so it becomes almost invisible.

It's hidden in the backwards "C" portion.

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/24/17 1:59 p.m.

I have one on my project car. It flashes 3 times - really fast - to get attention, then goes solid. Around here (SoCal) ambulances have that feature and I think it's very effective. The trick is having it blink far faster than a turn signal so there's no confusion, like three flashes in about 0.3 seconds.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 4:16 p.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
11/9/18 8:34 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

I reread this whole thread, for this?!?

pirate
pirate Reader
11/9/18 8:35 p.m.
Klayfish said:

It's absolutely required, you can't drive without it. You also can't leave without fabric protection, undercoating, nitrogen filled tires and a dangling tree air freshener.

You forgot about the $300 tape pin stripe that had already been applied and cannot be removed. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 8:47 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

Did you miss the note I added to the 1st post that states this thread is from 2017? laugh

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
11/11/18 2:37 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I saw that, but I somehow thought that it would be a valid resurrection. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/11/18 3:37 a.m.
pirate said:
Klayfish said:

It's absolutely required, you can't drive without it. You also can't leave without fabric protection, undercoating, nitrogen filled tires and a dangling tree air freshener.

You forgot about the $300 tape pin stripe that had already been applied and cannot be removed. 

I guess that means they need to order me another car, then.  I didn't buy a modified and repaired car, I bought a new one.

Of course, if they have a problem with this innocent request, I'm sure a little chat with the higher-ups at the district level would clarify things.  Surely they would prefer to procure an un-bastardized car than risk losing their franchise.  And if sales managers end up losing their jobs over it?  Well, that was the risk they took when they decided to try to fark over the clients who ultimately paid their salaries.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/11/18 9:57 a.m.

That’s the kind of E36 M3 that makes me get up and walk out the door.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
11/11/18 4:31 p.m.

I know this is an old thread but just a quick story...................I purchased a new car from a dealer this past August.  After the deal was basically done they informed me that they had installed a pulsing light on the vehicle and that it would be an additional $300.  Here's the good part though, I would have to sign up for a monthly subscription fee in order to use it. Huh? What? A pulsing light has a monthly fee with it?  Maybe this is true or maybe it isn't but I wasn't going to pay for it. I literally did get up and start to walk out when they backed down and included the light at no extra charge. Has anyone ever heard anything like this? A monthly fee for a pulsing light?  This was a brand new vehicle from a Hyundai/Kia dealership. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
11/14/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

They certainly get the award for creativity. The prize should be a thorough beating about the head and neck. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
11/14/18 2:19 p.m.
EvanR said:

Vehicle lighting is covered under FMVSS108. Most state laws defer to that standard.

Not only is a pulsing CHMSL NOT required under FMVSS108, some people have argued that the law forbids it.

But the problem here is not that the dealer is lying to you, the problem is that they want to charge you $445 for a $10 part that takes 10 minutes to install.

I agree with the other posters. Find a new dealer.

As a  former OEM vehicle lighting professional - this is factual. I'm pretty sure the pulsating brake light is technically illegal for FMVSS108  actually. Europe uses this because their laws are more current and flexible. Our lighting laws are old and outdated. it would have to come on the vehicle before its sold to the dealer - this is hogwash nonsense. new dealer

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VVPKqUsHv0vXsVkHrfGrCe9xY6pcKbRggSYi5YpkBVzG3daOqOP7u4soYMUNn4rx