1 2
Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/15/20 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

Ford 9s are weird how the diff is so off center compared to the pinion.

My pinion is 1/2" to the left, and I think my axles are over 5" different in length.

Curtis73
Curtis73 MegaDork
2/17/20 9:03 a.m.

Yeah, mine are 4" different... but on the wrong side, so it puts the pinion about 8" to the left.  Obviously set up for circle track.  Also set up for truck arms.  That says stock car to me.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
2/17/20 9:28 a.m.

FYI...you can find a LSD for a 7.5" pretty cheap from any old Mark VIII that has a solid axle(or were they still mark VIIs when solid axle? cant remember offhand)...also from SVO mustangs...though you aren't likely to find too many of those around.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/17/20 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

All Mark VIIs were solid axle, they were just Fox bodies with cool gadgets.  Did not know they were all 7.5s.

I am fairly certain my grandfather's '84 had an open diff.  He had a base model, not an LSC.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/17/20 9:37 a.m.

Are you sure all Mark VII's were 7.5's?  Seems like the late-80's cars with HO 5.0's would have shifted over to the 8.8 like the T-bird and Mustang did.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/17/20 11:22 a.m.

I would think a hachiroku rear end might be pretty optimal? Might be on the brink at 400lb ft but toyota stuff usually holds up to abuse pretty well. 

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Dork
2/17/20 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

They are light, to a point that has me laughing when people discuss the 8.8 as being lightweight. I haven't had one on a scale, but I'd guess around 110-120 pounds complete with brakes and hardware. The ring gear on the GT-S is 6.7 inches, and shares architecture with the axle in a lot of Celica models. (The SR5 has a 6.3 inch axle similar to older Corollas and Starlets) Depending on who you ask, they are stout for their size or they are fragile and unreliable. I attribute much of the fragile reputation to three factors: the factory crush sleeve can overcrush, leading to misadjustment and accelerated wear, then add in high-mileage used junkyard diffs without adequate service, plus clutch-kicking drifters and sure, they can break. Legends cars often use these rear axles. 

Going through and making sure they are properly set up with a solid pinion spacer helps with durability a lot. Even so, I wouldn't recommend one for 400hp and grippy tires. Maybe a Toyota pickup/4Runner/Supra 7.5 inch instead?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OPVU2XIvYZDSDLfIDoE23O7BHnEThR0fKM5YcDp5gyx9XUUwHFIM6ZjfQlw3LFVH