GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 10:04 a.m.

This is a G13A's stock 1988.5-1995 carb, I want to run some carb cleaner through the float bowl to try to clear out whatever blockage I've got this time. Just to confirm, the float bowl vent is the tube sticking out diagonally into the carb throat, right?

Seen at the bottom right of the opening here, with an oval profile:

Another angle:

BTW: I noticed that some have tubes like this in both barrels, and some have only one.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
4/16/14 12:51 p.m.

Yep, that is the tube. But where is your "blockage"? That just leads to the fuel bowl and not the little air bleeds, passages and such...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 12:59 p.m.

Well it seems to be a fuel delivery problem, the engine runs lean, shuts off by itself at idle, or even loses power when I'm on the gas. A little Italian Tune-Up clears it up for a while and then it happens again.

And I ran fuel system cleaner through the gas and changed the fuel filter just around the beginning of the year.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/16/14 1:06 p.m.

Sounds like a little piece of crap is stuck in there that you will have to remove manually.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 1:12 p.m.

I've been furiously looking for a rebuild kit for this carb so I can take it apart safely (as in, without disabling my car indefinitely if a seal gets damaged), but the only one I've found so far is out of stock:

http://www.alteredegomotorsports.com/samurai-engine.html

It really needs a rebuild too...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/16/14 1:53 p.m.

Weber time?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 2:02 p.m.

Nope, a Weber guzzles gas and doesn't like steep angles. An SU HIF44 would be a great swap but that would involve lots of importation and fabrication...not cheap or easy (or quick).

MrChaos
MrChaos New Reader
4/16/14 2:05 p.m.

Efi swap time. Or g16b swap time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 2:14 p.m.

Haha I'll have no money for swaps any time soon...EFI swapping such a "dumb" vehicle is difficult and expensive enough, but then the G16B swap requires costly suspension mods too, to clear the lower-hanging engine.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/16/14 4:34 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carburetor-Repair-Kit-Samurai-86-89-Made-JAPAN-/181369644549 ?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 5:59 p.m.

86-89? Mine's a '95 (JDM model)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/16/14 8:32 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That's probably referring to US models.

MrChaos
MrChaos New Reader
4/16/14 9:05 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH: carb rebuild kit $40

remaned carb $330

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/17/14 7:36 a.m.

^I think those are both the Hitachi carb...trying to avoid getting a whole new one.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/17/14 1:58 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

The kit I linked seems to apply to both the Hitachi and Aisin carb, judging by the parts list on the back of the box.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/19/14 1:11 p.m.

Well I got a gasket kit from the dealership today, I ran some carb cleaner through the float bowl yesterday and it hasn't had another blockage so far.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fIZYPwnVdhNfTU6WJVfdMUKLOINOERwmfcjxh12VkyBlHqXpwCsPfHdfhBIaNpWW