MrChaos
MrChaos New Reader
3/3/13 12:39 p.m.

Has the mopar turbo II or III engine ever came in a rwd application and hypothetically would said application fit in a Suzuki Samurai or sidekick(with a tcase for 4x4)?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
3/3/13 12:53 p.m.

The non turbo 2.5 version came in some dakotas. So yes, hypothetically the parts exist that could do what you are describing, someone else will have to give more details though.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
3/3/13 12:53 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: Has the mopar turbo II or III engine ever came in a rwd application

Mosler Consulier.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
3/3/13 1:45 p.m.

Yep, nothing factory aside from the consulier, which used a transaxle.

Best bet is using Dodge Dakota bellhousing and rear sump oil pan from a 2.5L powered version with a Toyota R-154 5-speed (stock 5-speed is too weak to hold up too long with boost) should get you what you need to start mounting it in your car/truck.

Luckily the 2.5L used in the 89-95 Dakota is a common block engine so the engine block and accessories are the same as the 89+ T2/T3/T4 engines (aside from the oil drain back for the turbo and perhaps cross-drilled cooling passages)

From 87-89 it should use the earlier engine which is the basis for as the 87-88 Turbo 2 engines and uses a slightly different oil pan and accessories than the 89+ blocks.

Given the rarity of the T3 DOHC and the scarcity of some parts (Don't forget the superior Cosworth headed Maserati TC which was the other 2.2 DOHC equipped car from the factory), I'd look at either building a 2.5L "hybrid" which uses the 2.5L bottom end with a 2.0L/2.4L DOHC head, or just build 2.4L DOHC from a Stratus/PT Cruiser/SRT4 and either using a Jeep Liberty bellhousing or the Dakota one with a missing bellhousing bolt.

Finally if you find you need more room on passenger side of the DOHC Neon headed motors, use a Mitsubishi 420a cylinder head, you can flip the intake/exhaust from side to side which may gain you more room on the passenger side as many of the intakes route down along the side of the block and the engine leans more towards the passenger side by default. You'll need to relocate the oil drain back of course.

Tons of details on Turbo Mopar and Turbo Dodge.

Hope this helps.

MrChaos
MrChaos New Reader
3/3/13 2:04 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

ok so a turbo suzuki g16b it is then.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
3/3/13 3:28 p.m.

Just use a Toyota truck R-150 with a transfer case with the Dakota bell housing and requisite turbo-dodge power plant.

asetech
asetech New Reader
3/4/13 8:13 p.m.

I have an 88 samurai AND a Chrysler 2.5 turbo sitting in the garage and I wouldn't care to put them together. In my opinion there are much better swaps for the samurai such as the VW diesel.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
3/4/13 8:49 p.m.

The jeep liberty setup should work? But it seems a little crazy, even to me. The liberty stuff isn't going to be dirt cheap for a while.

Besides. It would make more sense at that point to srt4 the liberty. And I ain't sure that makes sense.

I imagine though the jeep or Dakota bellhousing could be adapted to a tranny of your choice

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
3/4/13 8:53 p.m.

Yeah, it's a weird swap idea. Im sure you COULD do it, but it would pretty far down my list of preferred samurai swaps. TDI would be pretty much at the top!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XxyjYVoq56LPiWQGMfcujZd7LOTXMIDOjm0hOGwFdFVQ4bJuJMBrHBbsBxPuRAGH