rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
10/31/21 6:20 p.m.

Trying to diagnose the problems on the vibe that I recently purchased.

First question for p0016 & p0017 

I bench checked the crankshaft sensor with my multimeter. It's reading the proper ohms. However, when I switch my meter to voltage and pass a piece of metal over the magnetic end of the sensor I don't get any reading on the meter. Am I checking this correctly?  I must be doing something wrong because the car still starts and runs which doesn't seem possible if It can't pick up a signal from the crankshaft.

Second question for codes P0138 & P2195

Can an issue with the cam and crank sensors cause the readings at the oxygen sensors to be off? 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/1/21 8:41 a.m.

OE's love to combine sensor wires to ease the wiring diagram but make everyone else's job harder. Typically they will combine the 5v and grounds together for cam and crank sensors especially for starting. I've had a cam sensor flake and cause a crank sensor code and intermittent no starts. Once running, most of the running stays running with the crank sensor and just "occasional" look back at the cam to insure everything is in time. I'd personally believe that its a wiring problem vs parts shotgunning replacement. 

Unless the o2's have been replaced, I'd suspect the sensors are worn out.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/1/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I have looked for problems with the wiring but it all seems to be intact unless there is a obscure ground that I'm missing. 
It never fails to start and run. According to the PO it only stalls after it warms up. But I left it idle for over a half hour without issue yesterday. Actually, when I initially looked at the car I did not have the O2 sensor codes. They appeared after I start playing around with it at home.

LuigiAndretti
LuigiAndretti None
11/2/21 8:02 p.m.

P0016 and P0017 aren't problems with the cam and crank sensors per se, they are cam/crank correlation codes.  Basically, the ECM thinks the engine is out of time.  It is possible that the timing chain is stretched, but it is more likely that there is an oil pressure/volume problem at the VVT actuators (cam gears).  The engine uses oil pressure to advance/retard the cams; when there is insufficient volume or pressure to achieve the targeted advance/retard the ECM can throw a correlation code. Is the oil level full?  How's the oil condition?  Assuming that the answer to both questions is "OK", check the VVT oil control valves.  They are mounted to the valve cover, one for each cam.  Any debris in the screens?  Disconnect the electrical connectors and check resistance across the terminals, should be 6.9 - 7.9 ohms.  Power them with 12 volts and verify that the valves move freely and don't stick.

There is a TSB for the P0138/P2195 codes (well, Toyota has a TSB for them anyway; I don't know if Pontiac had one).  If you have both codes, replace the air/fuel ratio sensor (that's the upstream oxygen sensor).  The Toyota TSB is T-SB-0065-10.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/3/21 8:48 a.m.

In reply to LuigiAndretti :

Thanks!

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/7/21 8:50 a.m.

I'm still looking for the problem with this car.

Both vvt oil solenoids are working properly.  Same for the crank sensor.

Where is this oil screen for the solenoids located? The internet shows behind the alternator but I don't see it.

Is it possible one or both of the cam sensors are bad. These are three wire sensors which doesn't appear to be easy to check. Putting a meter on the connectors to the cam sensors, I get  5 volts on two wires ( power and signal ) and I'm assuming the third is ground. Is this correct?

The most concerning issue. I found this piece of metal on the magnetic end of the crank sensor ( pen for size comparison). Is the engine terminal? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/7/21 9:28 a.m.

Engines shed metal, metal finds magnets.

If the engine was terminal, the sensor would look like a Troll doll.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzKSTPQ8hU9cB4nLXoNuGryzvvHzvZGZO1BwnvwQ3TUYVfMio1XRENQVhCWvA0OC