GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
4/28/15 4:15 p.m.

Do things like fluids and filters count towards the challenge budget? I was thinking that they would be consumables, and have to be changed anyway during the development of the car, but wanted to make sure. 10 quarts of oil, 10 quarts of transmission fluid, filters, etc add up quickly. Secondly, iirc last time I was at the challenge, safety harnesses were also exempt. Is that the case? I don't want to take anything for granted and turn into "that guy" in October. I really have a lot of respect for all the participants and want to make sure I honor the integrity of the event. Thanks in advance.

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
4/28/15 4:21 p.m.

IDK the answer to this question, but it is a good one. (did the car come with 10 quarts of oil in the original purchase cost? or was the sump empty?) Can you sell off any extra oil that came with the car? Same thing could extend to factory replacement parts.

For example, I buy a car in April for $2015. I start DDing the thing during the summer. Mid August, the radiator blows. When I bought the car, it included a working radiator... but by October, that will not be the case anymore. Can I replace my radiator with a similar OEM equivalent to get the car back on the road? Or does the budget take that hit?

I think there might be a dedicated thread for challenge questions though.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 4:51 p.m.

I do not count fluids, but I leave a little in the budget for "misc".

Yes, you can return the car to the condition you bought it in without a budget hit.

GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
4/28/15 7:29 p.m.

Thank you SVreX. That is in line with what I was thinking.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/28/15 8:36 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Yes, you can return the car to the condition you bought it in without a budget hit.

I don't think I want to end back where I started with a blown motor.....

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/29/15 11:52 a.m.

I'm with Paul, thats the way I always did it.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
4/29/15 12:21 p.m.
evildky wrote: I'm with Paul, thats the way I always did it.

same here.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
4/29/15 3:33 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I do not count fluids, but I leave a little in the budget for "misc". Yes, you can return the car to the condition you bought it in without a budget hit.

Nice, the above quote saved me about $200 on my budget. lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZqTOPFVBsl2VsrI5q6vqHKMYNMxgWrWSH89rpdwTXkGplpcN4Sm1fflHFFiPhQ2