Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/21/19 1:19 p.m.

Hey hivemind of rust-lovers,

I own a 2000 Silverado that has the usual Least Coast rusty rocker panels and cab corner panels. I'm sick of ripping oxidized metal off of my truck, and I want to do a DIY repair.

I don't own a welder and I don't know how to weld. I noticed that there is a somewhat pricey plastic solution called Quick Cover that you bond and rivet to the truck. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks!

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/21/19 1:20 p.m.

You might as well use tape and paint over it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/21/19 2:13 p.m.

Any cover is just going to hold in moisture and accelerate further rusting.  I'd look at cutting out the rust and then installing metal patch panels with one of the modern panel bonding adhesive products used in the autobody industry.  I don't know much about them, one brand is Fusor but there are others.  https://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/brands/fusor-repair-adhesives

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/21/19 3:53 p.m.

Rivets and glue wth metal panels will work really well if you can get patch panels large enough to reach above all of the rust. Flange them, eastwood has a simple roller flanger, and get the overlap areas ground super clean. Then 1/8 inch rivets and enough epoxy (see above) to completely fill the seam. Use flat head sealed end rivets and you can make the seam near invisible if your metal shaping is good enough.Space the rivets 1.125 inch apart for structural standard, as in monocoque racing chassiswink Not that many rivets really needed, but remember there are seat belt anchors in the vicinity, so strong is good.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/21/19 4:42 p.m.

Thanks guys! My other issue is that the panels are metallic finished. Any ideas on how to do that kind of surgery but with a that awesome GM circa 2000 metallic finish?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
6/21/19 4:45 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Rivets and glue wth metal panels will work really well if you can get patch panels large enough to reach above all of the rust. Flange them, eastwood has a simple roller flanger, and get the overlap areas ground super clean. Then 1/8 inch rivets and enough epoxy (see above) to completely fill the seam. Use flat head sealed end rivets and you can make the seam near invisible if your metal shaping is good enough.Space the rivets 1.125 inch apart for structural standard, as in monocoque racing chassiswink Not that many rivets really needed, but remember there are seat belt anchors in the vicinity, so strong is good.

This is what we did on my son's 02 Explorer almost 3 years ago. So far, so good.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
6/21/19 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Dave M :

Yeah, there really aren't any good diy metallic options that will match.  How do you feel about bedliner on the bottom 6" of the truck?

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/21/19 6:44 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

I feel pretty ok about it, I guess! It's no beauty truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
83YFRLa12hOZ9VdHQt46ti6kWbY6jLMROpQTFhXZ69LF9empvvEiKFL6gvoOqBzH