Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
6/22/08 3:30 p.m.

So I turbo'ed my 93 Miata. It's working great. I've had a few teething issues but all in all a successful venture. It's intercooled now and the manual boost controller is on the way to get my boost back up to 5lbs after the intercooler install.

Prior to this I realized I wanted R-comps for the track days I was going to do. I knew that I could not find any for the stock daisies so I sprung for stock 99 wheels. They aren't the lightest but they came with 90% worn RA1's, and a tire trailer.

I put on the H&R race springs and trail fitted the new wheels with the worn out RA1's. I then drove the car to work attempting to get an idea if the tires would rub with the new MUCH lower springs. No rubbing. That's great...but I can't bring myself to take off the RA1's!

These things grip like depression era Grandpa to his last dollar! They hold on tighter than a suburban Mom clutching keys to her SUV! They stick tighter than duct tape turned on itself! (a paradox that could easily un-do the universe if used indiscriminately).

So I've told myself...when these wear out I'm going back to the stock daisies with 185 Ziex's for the street. I'll then mount my new RA1's on the 99 wheels and they will be TRACK ONLY.

Did I tell you how I could brake hard enough on these tires to dislodge my own eyeballs? I'm really stunned with how much more performance they have than street tires.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
6/22/08 3:36 p.m.

Been there done that: Starting with the old yokohama oo8, BFG R compounds and Victoracers, I used to love running the R compounds on the street. (MGB and Miata)

They do not age well, so enjoy and use them up in a summer or at most two. They do need to warm up, so in the fall, beware!

As I am now older and more mellow, I really like the Azenis as an all-around tire. The MG still has a set of old victoraces on there, but next spring, they will go to Azenis.

Peter

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/22/08 5:45 p.m.

First off, the 205/55-14 RA-1 will fit on the stock 1990 Miata wheels.

A number of our customers run RA-1s full-time. It's not a cheap habit and you have to watch for standing water once they're starting to wear, but they're one of the few compounds that will actually survive that kind of abuse. I have two cars that run on RA-1s exclusively.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/22/08 7:32 p.m.

We've run the RA1s on the streets for years with no adverse effects. They even have a reasonable life.

They are designed not to heat cycle like normal R rubber.

They won't wear like Fusions or Sumitomos, but unlike the, these will actually grip the road.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
6/22/08 8:02 p.m.

^ What they said. RA1s can be used on the street, but it can be an expensive habit, depending on how much you drive.

Also, as Keith noted, RA1s are available in a Daisy-friendly size. That's what I used on my old track Miata, although it was on the hollow spokes, which I think are 1/2" wider.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
6/22/08 8:29 p.m.

Thanks for the tips on daisies and RA1's. I thought those rims were too narrow to fit them correctly. The 99 rims are 8 in's wide while the daisies are 4.5(?).

Well..now you guys make me think I'm not such an oddball! I'm having fun. That would be an expensive tire for a moderately used 'vert.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/22/08 8:44 p.m.

I drove with Yoko A032Rs on my street car for a while. Taking turns at twice the posted recommended speed was fun, but alas, they would've worn out very quickly.

If I had a weekend toy, it would definitely have hard R compound rubber on it for street use.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/22/08 8:55 p.m.

I run the 205/55-14 on a set of daisies on my Locost. Haven't had a problem yet. I'm sure they'd be happier on a wider wheel, but they work. They're 14x5.5. Those stock 1999 wheels are 15x6, only 1/2" wider. The 1994-97 wheels are 14x6.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
6/23/08 8:03 a.m.

What? You mean those rims aren't 8 in's wide? Hmm..come to think of it...I told my g/f they were 8 in's wide and that I had a 12 in pen...

Ok. That explains why she was looking at me in a stupified way after I said that. This might also explain why she has such a hard time estimating distance.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/23/08 8:29 a.m.

Just run any of the current ST* tires on the street. They are damn close to the RA1s for street purposes. The difference in performance between my 225 RA1s and my 205 Direzzas is not as much as you'd think for street/autox. I'm sure heat issues arise on the track.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
6/23/08 8:39 a.m.

I've been thinking of switching to R-compounds full-time once the SPTs wear out...your post makes me want to do it more. I'm going to blame you when the time comes.

Wait...nooo they're not available in 195/50/15! :(

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
6/23/08 9:43 a.m.

I can identify with your situation. Last year I put a set of A032Rs on my Neon, meaning to save them just for autocross, but like you, I enjoyed the grip so much I ended up driving them on the street anyway. They've gotten too hard since for best grip, but I'll run them on the street as long as the treads are still good, to get my $ worth.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/23/08 11:39 a.m.

Gameboy, go 205/50-15.

I don't think the Yokohamas are as content with constant heat-cycling as the RA-1 is. I've heard reports that the R-888 and the Nitto NT-01 are, though.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/23/08 12:35 p.m.
Keith wrote: Gameboy, go 205/50-15. I don't think the Yokohamas are as content with constant heat-cycling as the RA-1 is. I've heard reports that the R-888 and the Nitto NT-01 are, though.

I've been driving my Nitto's to/from every event... so far they keep getting better! Only downside is the "Super Swamper" sticker my friends got me for the noise they make... at the last event I was told you could hear me rolling in from 1/2 mile out You folks on A032s can relate...

They don't seem that loud from in here officer...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
6/23/08 4:57 p.m.
Keith wrote: I don't think the Yokohamas are as content with constant heat-cycling as the RA-1 is.

I concur. The RA1s will likely fare better.

getfast
getfast None
6/28/08 6:50 p.m.

I had fulltread RA1's on my E36 pretty much all last summer. Loved it. They're back on the car for this summer... but only until 245/40-17 Star Specs come off back order.

Jon

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/28/08 8:45 p.m.

A few years ago a friend needed tires for his wife's car, but had no money. Then, he realized that he had an older set of RA1's, so he threw those on her car. Now, she wants them on all the time (other than in the cold). Of course, now she's racing in the SCCA as well, so she has her own source of older RA1's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ycAe3csZuz1jFYAadmFwJBysGiq3iyS37zlagKuotF20FAYqOMX7jJMh73O6sFuW