1 2 3 4 5
Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/26/12 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Don't blame me, that's those shiny happy people in the middle of the country.

I also noticed you deftly avoided answering for Anne Murray and Celine Dion.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/26/12 12:19 a.m.

The rampage is based on one of Chrysler's flimsiest chassis ever. It is the same basic K-car chassis (though it was technically an L-body) that magazines claimed the 224-hp Shelby was too much power for the chassis. It ripped out motor mounts, broke windshields on bumps, and I want one bad.

The only reason I don't own a rabbit diesel is because they are holding their value way beyond what they should and I can't see paying that much money for a clapped-out wasted VW. The main reason I don't own a Rampage is for the same reason.

I would say go for the VW. At least you know you're getting a decent chassis for your premium dollar.

... and the VW at least has a respectable manual trans. But, here's a tidbit... the L-bodies with the 4-speed manual were actually VW transmissions. Its just a shame they were connected to the driver with cables made of taffy and a shifter throw of about a foot.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/26/12 12:24 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: While we're on the subject, you guys really need to fix your cheese industry. That waxy, orange stuff is supposed to have some flavour to it.

Um... seriously? I have cheese shipped here from Balderson, ONT because the junk cheddar that comes out of Europe is... well, junk.

Try this: http://www.cheese.ca/en/cheddar.asp?cheddar_sort=100&cate=PREMIUM%20AGED

Every once in a while they release a 7-year that could be served to royalty.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/26/12 12:26 a.m.
Grizz wrote: I also noticed you deftly avoided answering for Anne Murray and Celine Dion.

What about Bryan Adams?

But all Canadian music sins are washed away by Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, and Rush.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/26/12 12:30 a.m.

In reply to curtis73: Bryan adams is on the list.

Even Beiber?

Rush is awesome, but I'm not sure they can make up for that.

E: the only reason I don't own a rampage is because I can never find one with a clear title(or any title).

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
3/26/12 12:53 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

It's the American cheese I'm complaining about.

Canadian cheeses are far better.

Shawn

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/26/12 12:55 a.m.

I've never noticed Canadian cheese. Must have blended into the background when I was shopping.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/26/12 7:16 a.m.

The L chassis actually predates the K chassis and i think the K is better by miles. I HAVE seen and/or heard of L-bodies cracking the core support, cracking the firewall, cracking motor mounts out, and punching the struts through the towers when attempting dukes-of-hazzard style shenanigans.

I think that's a function of bargain-basement, early-as-early-gets FWD unibody design, in addition to subjecting the engine bay to, in some cases, EIGHT TIMES the power it was originally designed for.

Rush.

Say no more my good man.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 7:41 a.m.

Rampage

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
3/26/12 8:26 a.m.

My sister dated a guy with a Rabbit pickup with a cap on the back before I could drive. Man I thought that thing was cool!

His was much cooler, but you get the idea.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
3/26/12 10:14 a.m.

love both, but Rabbit pickup wins for me!

Styling + diesel.

Had an '81 1.7 gas model VW pickup and loved it.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/26/12 5:12 p.m.

Wonder if you would have loved a 1.7vw rampage more?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
3/26/12 5:23 p.m.

the cheaper/nicer example of either one.

around here, that'd be a mopar. i've watched some HAGGARD caddys bring well over $2,000. no. way.

subrew
subrew Reader
3/26/12 5:47 p.m.

I loved my Rampage. Rebuilt 2.2L with headwork, mopar cam, headers, exhaust, Weber 38DGAS etc. Gobs of torque.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/26/12 5:47 p.m.

I give it to the rampage, because of the KILLER slantnose setup. Also turbo mopar.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/26/12 5:57 p.m.

They got some pretty cool color schemes, stripe packages, etc too. Several had factory cowl hood things.

I cant claim i ever owned more than 5 at one time.. (by a technicality). I liked the Scamp GT best of the ones i had.. also rarest by far, i think <500 made.

Ultimately for ~200 more lbs and rear-drive (and much better looking with a bed cap!), i gave up on rampages as too redundant with my other FWD mopars and focused my tiny-truck attention on finding THIS

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/26/12 10:44 p.m.

20 to 17

VW wins barely

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/26/12 11:31 p.m.

Hey, that's the same amount that the Omni beat the GTI by before the GTI advanced to the next round! What a coincidence!

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/27/12 7:53 p.m.

I counted and had the tally verified from

Dewey, Fookyu and Howe.

Count them yourself, I am happy to change the tally.

It's not like I'M from Florida

riculo
riculo New Reader
2/26/13 10:13 p.m.

Just came across a 1983 Dodge Rampage at the local junkyard... man, can't believe this went to the yard and wasn't sold. Good parts on here if anyone wants to get on it, it is in Newark picknpull http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1B7EZ64C3DD257445

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/26/13 10:26 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: Don't blame me, that's those shiny happy people in the middle of the country. I also noticed you deftly avoided answering for Anne Murray and Celine Dion.

Don't forget Alanis Morrisette!

Of course, all three of those are offset by the awesomness that is RUSH.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
2/26/13 11:07 p.m.

I fight fire with gasoline!

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3519767418.html

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3644312395.html

Vote with your dollars!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/27/13 12:15 a.m.

I see your krauts and your hot dogs and raise you a REPU

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/27/13 1:13 a.m.
riculo wrote: Just came across a 1983 Dodge Rampage at the local junkyard... man, can't believe this went to the yard and wasn't sold. Good parts on here if anyone wants to get on it, it is in Newark picknpull http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1B7EZ64C3DD257445

No one is willing to put the effort into getting them to pass emissions anymore, thats really about the only place you can find one now. I have even seen scamp GTs in pick and pull before, which they only made a few of.

I like them both, although in cali id go with a diesel caddy since you dont have emissions testing. For a gas powered one, neither are too exciting without an engine swap, so id just say whichever you can find in nicer shape.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/27/13 1:52 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I see your krauts and your hot dogs and raise you a REPU

As Awesome as they are (I finally saw one in the wild last fall) they are a real pickup.. even if tiny. The Rabbit and the Rampage are unibody, the REPU has a distinct bed and cab

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KsHaQbavWGlgDr6kfE6sypeeBGrx5BUPiq6KNWySLYG2quTQHnhyQImln19Smt3V