3 4 5
JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/23/13 10:47 a.m.

Rampage!

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/23/13 10:54 a.m.

Interesting factoid - the current and previous recordholders in the class that I'll be running at Bonneville (H/DT) have both been Rabbit Pickups.

I'm bringing a Rampage.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/23/13 11:03 a.m.
Jetmugg wrote: I realize this thread is on the older side of things, but thought you guys might enjoy seeing my Dodge Rampage with transplanted VW diesel power, running on a chassis dyno. Weather permitting, it will be running on the Bonneville Salt Flats next week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYikOly9S0

Very cool! There's one of those VW-swapped Rampages i was talking about..

Steve, i've been following the build over on LSR forums but i'm glad to see you pop in here! Keep up the good work and good luck on the salt!

stan
stan SuperDork
9/23/13 11:16 a.m.

Weird -but cool- timing. I might go look at a Caddy this afternoon...

Steve, what kind of numbers did that Rampage put out? Any other aero- other than the wheels?

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/23/13 1:05 p.m.

In reply to stan:

167 HP at 46xx rpm. 238 ft-lbs at 28xx rpm.

A 1.5L VW diesel is 48HP in stock form.

Apart from the wheels covers and getting it as low as possible, the rules don't permit much in the way of aero improvements. The mirrors have been removed, and a flat tonneau cover has been fabbed (both allowable per the rules)

The actual "body" itself must be 100% stone stock in profile and contour. No belly pans, taped off seams, welded seams, etc.

Steve.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/23/13 3:35 p.m.
Jetmugg wrote: In reply to stan: 167 HP at 46xx rpm. 238 ft-lbs at 28xx rpm. A 1.5L VW diesel is 48HP in stock form. Apart from the wheels covers and getting it as low as possible, the rules don't permit much in the way of aero improvements. The mirrors have been removed, and a flat tonneau cover has been fabbed (both allowable per the rules) The actual "body" itself must be 100% stone stock in profile and contour. No belly pans, taped off seams, welded seams, etc. Steve.

the best of luck!!!

167hp... frontal area of a rampage.... guessing you are shooting for 145-150 mph???

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/23/13 4:34 p.m.

WHEEL hp, too. Considering what the factory turbo L-bodies could get up to with minor mods (a GLHS with an exhaust has similar whp), 145+ seems feasible, but it's still a game of what speed can be attained in the available distance..

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/24/13 9:09 a.m.

The current record is 105.8 mph in H/DT. My goal is to be competitive against that record.

For a vehicle with this low of a power level, it's not much of a drag race for the entire 3 miles. My gut tells me that I'll be close to full speed by the time I get through the first mile. Then, it will be a matter of maintaining speed through the next 2 measured miles.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on EGT's, boost, oil temp, and coolant temp.

I don't want to blow it up on the first pass, but I'll be willing to risk a lot more later in the week.

Steve.

JohnnyBquick
JohnnyBquick New Reader
9/24/13 9:58 a.m.

I just drove past Bonneville...it was a lake. Hope it dries fast.

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/24/13 10:22 a.m.

There was a photographer out on the salt yesterday - he reported that there was no standing water on the actual race course and posted a bunch of photos.

The salt was still wet, but there was no standing water on the course.

I know there is a lot of water still on the South side of I-80, but the racecourse is to the North.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/24/13 12:25 p.m.

And the winner is...

Datsun Sunny pickup!

But I guess since you can't get them there, I'll go with the VW. Only if it has a turbo diesel swap/build in it though.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
9/24/13 3:05 p.m.

Still regret having not tried harder to get the Rampage that came up at auction here a few years back... had I not bought my Elky a few days earlier I would certainly have found a way to get my hands on it...

carbon
carbon Reader
9/24/13 9:28 p.m.

That sunny pick up is the e36. I like REPUs too. If you go VW caddy, it needs a 16v swap at least. Or a vr6, or a 2.0fsi, or a g60, but a diesel, NOPE.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/24/13 10:19 p.m.

in the spirit of that Sunny....

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/24/13 11:21 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

What the heck is that? Other than ugly, I mean...

Jetmugg
Jetmugg New Reader
9/25/13 1:12 p.m.

Looks like that thing has been de-hatchbacked.

In somewhat related news, the World Finals have been cancelled at Bonneville, due to excessive water on the course.

Steve.

stan
stan SuperDork
9/25/13 2:46 p.m.

So....what are your plans now? Wait until next year or is there another venue?

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/25/13 4:07 p.m.
What the heck is that?

A photochop

In somewhat related news, the World Finals have been cancelled at Bonneville, due to excessive water on the course.

. Damnit. I was really hyped up to hear your experience with that car after following the build.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/13 4:16 p.m.
Jetmugg wrote: I realize this thread is on the older side of things, but thought you guys might enjoy seeing my Dodge Rampage with transplanted VW diesel power, running on a chassis dyno. Weather permitting, it will be running on the Bonneville Salt Flats next week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYikOly9S0

Wow this is interesting!!!!

Is that a bit of surge i'm hearing, though? Or just the mic picking up weird stuff?

Bummer about the cancelled event.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WVjUR8o6NZs66bbZREwph1anlKmB8KYhPQWCHL28grr2XodRxO6CpwbAZlOche0d