1 2
captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/3/19 3:29 p.m.

I'm preplanning next years list of tracks to check out for HPDE. I hit up Hallett my first time this year with a second trip planned for the 21st of this month. I've also got a day planned for Cresson Motorsports Ranch in October. Right now I plan to focus on what's within an 5-6 hour drive of Bentonville Arkansas, but not sure what else is within range. Heartland in Topeka is on the list for next year. Eagles Canyon popped up in my MotorsportReg feed, but don't know much about it yet. Anything else worth checking out? Is there a good map that just kind of has them all there so I can plan a good road trip for multiples?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/19 3:36 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/3/19 3:46 p.m.

Eagles Canyon just got repaved and reshaped a bit. Early reports are that it's very nice. I've only driven it once on the old layout but I enjoyed it. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/3/19 4:27 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Eagles Canyon just got repaved and reshaped a bit. Early reports are that it's very nice. I've only driven it once on the old layout but I enjoyed it. 

New surface could be nice. I'll definitely put it on the short list. Any others within earshot of it?

T.J. said:

http://www.racingin.com/Track/trackmaps.aspx

How about this?

Looks like it may be out of date. Something like that is definitely what I'm looking for, but would be nice to rule out drag strips and ovals.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/3/19 4:49 p.m.

Anyone been to Gateway Motorsports Park Circuit of St. Louis?

mazdeuce - Seth
9/3/19 4:51 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I was just going to mention that. I was mapping the distance as you were typing. I sort of did it on One Lap two years ago. Neat track that give you the proper roval experience, but I came off the oval hot and visited the tire wall. It's a fairly high risk track, but cool. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/3/19 5:01 p.m.

Looks like NCM is about 9 hours, NOLA and MSR Houston 10. Long drives. Motorsports Park Hasting is about 7.5 Nice little club track that has some runoff. I like that one. Raceway park of the Midlands is about 5.5. Small track that uses the drag strip as a straight. Not sure how many club events they run. Drag strip tracks are their own beast. Memphis Motorsports park seems to be running events with PCA, that's 5.5 hours. If that whole 10 hour thing ever sounds good then High Plains in Colorado is about that far and one of my favorite tracks ever. 

Edit: ignore what I said about Raceway park of the Midlands, not a drag strip track, my memory is bad it's Memphis that's the drag strip track. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/3/19 6:42 p.m.
captainawesome said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

New surface could be nice. I'll definitely put it on the short list. Any others within earshot of it?

T.J. said:

http://www.racingin.com/Track/trackmaps.aspx

How about this?

Looks like it may be out of date. Something like that is definitely what I'm looking for, but would be nice to rule out drag strips and ovals.

There used to be a site called Chasin Racin that would allow you to do that.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/3/19 8:23 p.m.

Alright, alright, alright...

Here's the list so far, and honestly it's a few years worth of tracks to explore. Anything tighter to the 6 hour mark obviously will be easier to hit up, but I think trying to fit at least one of the further away tracks whenever possible is a good goal.

Hallett 2.5 hours
Heartland Motorsports Park 4 hours
Gateway Motorsports Park 5 hours
Memphis International Raceway 5.5 hours
Eagles Canyon Raceway 5.75 hours
Raceway Park of the Midlands 5.75 hours
Cresson Motorsports Ranch 6.5 hours
Motorsport Park Hastings 7.75 hours
NCM Motorsports Park 9 hours
Circuit of the Americas 9 hours
MSR Houston 9.5 hours
NOLA Motorsports Park 10 hours
High Plains Raceway 11 hours

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
9/3/19 8:32 p.m.

If COTA and High Plains are on your list why not Road America and Mid-Ohio? 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/3/19 8:40 p.m.

And just like that 2 more are added. I think I'm skirting my limits on distance, but can't hurt to dream.

Hallett 2.5 hours
MSR Houston 9.5 hours
Road America 11.75 hours
Mid-Ohio 12.5 hours

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/4/19 7:14 a.m.

Raceway Park at the Midlands is a REALLY fun little track. Keep in mind they do NOT have gas available at the track (unless that's changed in the last few years) so be prepared to run to one of the close by small towns. 

I'd also give them a call and see how the track is doing after all the flooding earlier this year. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 7:27 a.m.

I'll be packing some e85 with me, so I should be good on fuel. Unfortunately accurate maps for e85 stations can be equally challenging as finding a good track map.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 7:43 a.m.

Quick question to pile on top of this, which racing school? Hallett has one I'm hoping to check out next year. Skip Barber seems to be well received.  Allen Berg? Dirt Fish?

mazdeuce - Seth
9/4/19 7:50 a.m.

Cresson has three configurations as well. The 1.7 is the "regular" car side and the track that I recommend to everyone who is starting. A couple of big-ish fast sweepers, a tight section that autocrossers will feel comfortable in, elevation, and enough runoff to not get spooked. The 1.3 is narrower with a bunch of blind crests and drops with a couple of areas where the lack of runoff will make you clench a bit. Combine them into the 3.1 and you get a completely different feel. Neat place. Hotel and food across the street and gas at the track entrance. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/4/19 7:53 a.m.
captainawesome said:

Quick question to pile on top of this, which racing school? Hallett has one I'm hoping to check out next year. Skip Barber seems to be well received.  Allen Berg? Dirt Fish?

Do you want a license to race? I'd try and figure out who you want to race with and go up their ladder. Both SCCA and NASA have good systems that will take you from  your first HPDE through time trial and to racing. My preference is for the Texas region of NASA (they run at Hallett and Cresson) because I like them and their system is familiar to me. I stopped at time trial because I didn't have any wheel to wheel aspirations. I enjoyed the program, the instructors, and the classroom time. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 8:03 a.m.

mazdeuce - Seth said:

Cresson has three configurations as well. The 1.7 is the "regular" car side and the track that I recommend to everyone who is starting. A couple of big-ish fast sweepers, a tight section that autocrossers will feel comfortable in, elevation, and enough runoff to not get spooked. The 1.3 is narrower with a bunch of blind crests and drops with a couple of areas where the lack of runoff will make you clench a bit. Combine them into the 3.1 and you get a completely different feel. Neat place. Hotel and food across the street and gas at the track entrance. 

I believe we are using the full 3.1 with the group I'm going with, so I guess I'll get to experience a little of both.

mazdeuce - Seth said:
captainawesome said:

Do you want a license to race? I'd try and figure out who you want to race with and go up their ladder. Both SCCA and NASA have good systems that will take you from  your first HPDE through time trial and to racing. My preference is for the Texas region of NASA (they run at Hallett and Cresson) because I like them and their system is familiar to me. I stopped at time trial because I didn't have any wheel to wheel aspirations. I enjoyed the program, the instructors, and the classroom time. 

I would like to get a license for TT and possibly crap can. The more local the better for actual racing, but also I think it would be neat to just get some experience and instruction from any of the schools. Especially if I can do a fly and drive. Variety and fun are my main goals really.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/4/19 8:43 a.m.

The best part of track time is hanging out with your buddies, lots of whom you haven't even met yet. Drive with some different organizations, make friends, and decide what feels like home to you. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 8:54 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Agreed. I'm hoping with a few more tracks under my belt I will have someone to join me on One Lap. A lot of your exploits have been a massive inspiration to this, so a big thanks to you for posting up your automotive journey.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
9/4/19 9:47 a.m.

Tracks - If you're going to make the trek out to RA or Mid O there are also a bunch of other tracks close by or on the way - Autobahn and Blackhawk in IL, Gingerman and Grattan in MI, Putnam Park in IN, Pitt Race in PA.  I'd also put Barber on the list as I've heard great things about it (~10 hrs I'd guess?).  During the summer you can easily string together two or three tracks over the course of a week for 5-6 days of track time (inc. both weekends).  

Organizations - I think you need to figure out what your goals are.  I've found a lot of organizations are about fun and lapping (nothing wrong with that), but only NASA (at least in Great Lakes) is about learning the craft as they treat HPDE as a feeder to their racing program so from the first time you're on track (HPDE1) you're doing drills, and that goes all the way up the ladder until HPDE4.  I'm currently in DE3 and we do 2-3 group passing, mock starts, offline passing, etc. all to get comfortable with proximity and awareness, etc. on track.  The last NASA GL event for this year is at NCM at the end of Oct. so if you want to start the addiction early I'd be happy to show you around.  :)  

Edit - I've been to the Boundarant school and the BMW school, and honestly for the money I should've just spent it with NASA.  On the other hand, you do get to drive the E36 M3 out of someone else's car and not worry about anything else, so if you can swing it, go for it.  Otherwise I've not found the value to be really attractive.  

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

It sounds like NASA in the Texas region would be my best bet locally that is geared more towards the racing side. I think before I go that route I'll just get a few more HPDE days in and see what's most appealing. I think an arrive/drive for a crapcan team will be my best bet and value for wheel to wheel if I can buy my way in. I'm fairly certain they are running TT through the SCCA at Heartland. Lots to ponder I suppose. Calendar wise I'm booked through October so NCM is out of the question. I'll hopefully be able to string together some resemblance of a plan when some schedules for 2020 come out.

The list is growing.

Hallett 2.5 hours
Putnam Park 8 hours
Barber Motorsports Park 9 hours
MSR Houston 9.5 hours
Blackhawk Farms 9.5 hours
Autobauhn 9.75 hours
Gingerman 11 hours
Road America 11.75 hours
Grattan 12 hours
Mid-Ohio 12.5 hours

pkingham
pkingham Reader
9/4/19 11:50 a.m.

Thinking of other tracks within the 12 hour distance:

I have no idea if anyone still runs on the roadcourse at Lucas Oil Raceway (aka Indianapolis Raceway Park).  Not that exciting a place anyway, but it's near the Speedway which is worth a visit, especially the museum.

Road Atlanta should be no more than 12 hours.  That should probably be on your bucket list.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
9/4/19 12:09 p.m.

Now that I see you are in TX here are a couple in NM.

Sandia used to run SCCA races not sure about now.

http://www.racesandia.com/index.php/sara-home

Arroyo Seco may have run SCCA but I've never been there. I've looked at it as a possible test track for myself.

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/sctrackday.html

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I'm in NW Arkansas. Sandia looks to be just under 12 hours, but Arroyo Seco is 14.5 hours.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
9/4/19 1:49 p.m.

Spare time at work so I whipped up a quick map. I added a couple more based on old One Lap routes.

Usa.PDF by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Hallett 2.5 hours
Putnam Park 8 hours
Barber Motorsports Park 9 hours