1 2
Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/19/22 2:58 p.m.

Hello All,

I am starting to think about roof rack options for my pinto. The first thing I need to decide is what type of feet to use to attach the rack to the rain gutters. Does anyone have a good or bad review of a certain style? Something to avoid or look for? Any guidance is appreciated and pictures are always appreciated. In this picture you can see the style of rain gutters I am working with. They have a chrome trim piece on them.

Thanks,

Shav

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/19/22 3:22 p.m.

one thing on my old vw bug , 

once you put some weight on it , the legs will push out and you need to tighten up the clamps , these were mounted to clamp under the rain gutters.

Also they make a lot of wind noise .

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/19/22 3:31 p.m.

I've had a set on a van forever and gave hauled about 1000lbs on them, they are pretty nice although I don't think those will be the ones you use

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/19/22 3:37 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

That is good info,

I am looking for a set of feet like the Yakima 1A. I assume that is the same style you're talking about. For the $$ I may end up making a set instead but the locking feature is nice.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
1/19/22 3:59 p.m.

How much are you wanting to spend? I used this rack setup on a Gambler 500 car and it carried a spare tire just fine. It's definitely cheaper than something from Thule or Yakima, but it's also $300 less expensive. 

https://www.prolineracks.com/proline-gmr165-rain-gutter-racks.html

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/22 4:12 p.m.

I have some Thule gutter clamps for the standard Thule bars. I plan to use them on my GT6 this year with a bike rack on top.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/20/22 1:26 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I'm not sure what I should be spending, even the "DIY" style clamps cost at least $60. At that point I'm not sure it makes sense to use them. I like the proline option. Can you install lock cylinders into it?

porschenut
porschenut Reader
1/20/22 3:33 p.m.

Did 100 with thule gutter mount racks holding a windsurfer and 2 bikes.  Nothing like the old GLH turbo!

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/21/22 10:38 p.m.

I found these cheapys used for pocket change to start getting an idea of what I want to do:

Probably not what I will use long term but its always helpful to me to have something in my hands to experiment with.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/21/22 11:42 p.m.

Just remember, when putting a surfboard on the roof, the fins go forward and up.

grover
grover Dork
1/21/22 11:53 p.m.

The oval bars are quieter but wouldn't look right on that thing. You just need shorter old school Thule or Yakima bars. Round ones might look ok. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/21/22 11:54 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Tell me more about that, I've always put them fins back and up so the nose rocker pushes the board down. I'm all ears for learning a better method!

Edit:

Is it so the fins catch a strap before the board slides out the back?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/22/22 12:19 a.m.

Yep, just in case the straps loosen, the fins stop the board sliding off.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/22/22 12:58 a.m.

Gutters like that were every single car forever. There are millions of racks out there that will fit them.

I'd start by going to my local sporting gear exchange or some place that sells racks. Since gutters like that are pretty rare in new cars, they've probably got a stack of them sitting out back. The old Bic Sportrack setup actually worked pretty well if you want something that comes on/off easily. No locking capability though.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
1/22/22 9:20 a.m.

ok to experiment with, but get a set of thule or even yakima if you are serious.  The stamped steel ones just don't match up with the cast stuff.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/22/22 9:37 a.m.

I've got a nice set of BNIB surfboard racks back at the store. Sadly the store's closed until march and I'm 3000 miles away. We've got them marked way down because they've been on the shelf a while.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
1/24/22 9:38 a.m.

I had the SportRack SR1001 on my Mitsu Mighty Max. It's a basic Thule style square bar system. Retail is like $160 I think. Actually a Thule owned subsidiary. These seem fine and inexpensive as well. http://www.a1-autoracks.com/proline-gmr165-rain-gutter-racks.html

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/27/22 9:17 p.m.

How easy is that Proline SportsRack on the paint? 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
1/27/22 9:22 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

I'm not sure what I should be spending, even the "DIY" style clamps cost at least $60. At that point I'm not sure it makes sense to use them. I like the proline option. Can you install lock cylinders into it?

Nope! It's tightened by twisting a knob. No locking provisions

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
1/27/22 9:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

How easy is that Proline SportsRack on the paint? 

Unsure. The Saab we installed it blew a head gasket on the way to the gambler so I don't exactly have a long term review. It's got little rubber pieces that cover the ends that touch your car, so maybe fine?

David S. Wallens
1/27/22 9:27 p.m.

Hmmm. Thanks. Looking at the different options now. I'd want to carry two bikes (front wheels off okay) and don't need locks. But I do want it easy on the paint. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/27/22 9:55 p.m.

What will you be hauling?  It's pretty easy to haul most things (within reason) inside the car, just let them hang out the hatchback.

David S. Wallens
1/27/22 10:17 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

For me, a BMX bike with the 911.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/22 10:50 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Not a BMX, but similar:

It's this picture that makes me want to use my GT6 to drive to some of the area bike parks.  And another part of me wants that frame but painted the same color as my GT6, except I really don't need a DH bike.

David S. Wallens
1/27/22 10:53 p.m.

Yeah, like that but not nearly as color coordinated. 

Thanks. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mAPrLCS3xREF99KPrFnV2Vtt7LsprhEZMgkREJtM5MX3eOkThmpgi4vI6El1UfFh