1 2 3 4
ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/24/19 4:38 p.m.

The vehicle most likely to wind up upside down in the median during a snowstorm will inevitably be an AWD SUV driven by a soccer mom who just passed everyone driving a reasonable speed.

She will then complain about how her vehicle 'went out of control' because apparently the AWD wasn't working properly.

Too sexist? Replace SUV with lifted diesel pickup and driven by a 'bro'.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/24/19 4:56 p.m.

So much confirmation bias.  So little time....

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
1/24/19 5:10 p.m.

Drivers whose heads are below the headrest.  Give them extra room.   Also, younger men in mini vans.   He wanted the sporty car, she got the mini van.   And can't forget any driver in the NYC Metropolitan area for that matter.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/24/19 5:12 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

...and neither the brotruck ,nor the soccer mom suv will have snow tires. "They don't need 'em cuz 4WD!"

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
1/24/19 5:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I honestly believe we should age out of being allowed to drive by late 70's or 80 at the latest.  For every Mario Andretti out there who can still drive a 2 seat Indy car at 200mph there are 10,000 old folks who can't read signs, stop lights and drive everywhere at 45mph no matter if the speed limit is 25 or 75  while their reaction time to emergency situations has slowed down by several seconds.  

First, there should be REAL driving tests.  Second, people of all ages should have to retest on a regular basis.  Third, cops should pull people over for their terrible driving habits rather than solely focusing on the $$$ and only focusing on the speeding/drugs/duis.  I'm not saying that stuff isn't important, but some people need an officer to explain to them how driving works.

Driver's need to remember driving is not a privilege.  "I need to get to ______" does not grant you the right to drive.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
1/24/19 5:36 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I honestly believe we should age out of being allowed to drive by late 70's or 80 at the latest.  For every Mario Andretti out there who can still drive a 2 seat Indy car at 200mph there are 10,000 old folks who can't read signs, stop lights and drive everywhere at 45mph no matter if the speed limit is 25 or 75  while their reaction time to emergency situations has slowed down by several seconds.  

I don't agree with aging out, but I do agree with regular recertification.  Life is an endurance race -- everyone starts at the same age but ends up at very different places late in the race.  I've had the pleasure of driving with some really fast old (~80+) guys.  I've known some senile 65 year olds.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
1/24/19 5:37 p.m.

If you could instantly upvote or downvote drivers and their score was prominently displayed on their car in real time, my how things would change.

We have the technology.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/24/19 5:49 p.m.

If someone is tailgating me in this town there's a 90% chance they have Michigan plates. 

If I drive my zephyr 50% more people pull directly out in front of me then they do if I drive my beat up truck

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/24/19 6:08 p.m.

Rain causes brain eating organisms to become active in drivers such that they drive slowly, but like complete morons.  Snow causes all the invincible drivers to hit the roadways...at least this is what happens in the South.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/19 6:29 p.m.

If a Buick is being driven poorly 10 under, its being driven by Grandma or Grandpa.

If a Buick is being driven poorly at warp speed, it is being driven by the grandson of the recently deceased Grandma or Grandpa.

There are no other choices.

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
1/24/19 7:34 p.m.
Duke said:

Drivers of black, silver, and grey cars (in that order) are the least likely to turn their lights on in bad weather or after dusk.

and then they look at you like you are crazy when you flash your lights at them. Drives me crazy around here.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/24/19 8:27 p.m.

The fastest drivers in the world are middle age men going home from work.  I wind up in pretty much the same pack of cars every afternoon and no one ever seems to pass us.

gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/24/19 8:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If a Buick is being driven poorly 10 under, its being driven by Grandma or Grandpa.

If a Buick is being driven poorly at warp speed, it is being driven by the grandson of the recently deceased Grandma or Grandpa.

There are no other choices.

I was taken aback when it hit me how correct your statement is.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/24/19 8:47 p.m.
Ransom said:

I think folks in white SUVs are more likely than any other simple descriptor to be the perpetrators of crap driving.

That could simply be statistics - there are probably more white SUVs on the road today than any other vehicle.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/24/19 8:51 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Relative to their numbers currently on the road, Saturns make up a disproportionately large percentage of the cars in a Walmart parking lot on a Wednesday night.

Feel free to add your observations.

Thats cause they are at the bottom of their value curve, some get 40ish mpg and a lot of people rave about their ability to run forever. You can do a lot worse for $500

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/24/19 9:47 p.m.

Mid size sedans make up 100% of the population of the dozen or so cars that have tried to change lanes into me while driving my NB. 

Not sure if that is a statement on the attentiveness of the drivers, or if that particular class of vehicle has Miata shaped blind spots 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
1/24/19 10:42 p.m.

Almost every car manufacturer gets the manual option shift pattern wrong on modern automatic transmissions.

You pull BACK on the stick to shift up.

You push FORWARD on the stick to shift down.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/25/19 2:24 a.m.

1.  Living in a community with a median age over 65 will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicles. 

2.  Being rear-ended multiple times by people distracted by their phones will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicles. 

3.  Car manufacturers continued trends of not building cars, phasing out manual transmissions, putting more and more tech in their vehicles, making vehicles bigger and bigger, dulling the driving experience, and focusing on numerical data instead of driving experience will make you want a future that includes self driving vehicless. 

4.  A future that includes self driving vehicles will eventually lead to the outlawing of non-self driving vehicles, thus causing a) self driving retrofit kits to become necessary for pre-self driving vehicles to remain on the road, and b) GRM forum members to band together in clandestine outlaw "drive clubs."  First rule of Drive Club: you don't talk about Drive Club. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/25/19 5:22 a.m.

Nobody talking trash at a parts counter about how fast their car is ever has a fast car. They are also more than likely not a very fast driver either.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/25/19 6:41 a.m.
Daylan C said:

Nobody talking trash at a parts counter about how fast their car is ever has a fast car. They are also more than likely not a very fast driver either.

I worked a parts counter. This is 100% correct.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/25/19 6:41 a.m.

A Buick being driven by a man wearing a hat with a handicap tag is what we call a trifecta of slowness.

A NJ tagged car in NJ is being driven normally. A NJ tagged car driven in PA will invariably be driven with reckless abandon. The driving style of the NJ tagged car has not changed, only the drivers around it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/25/19 6:42 a.m.

Nissan will, 90% of the time, have at least 1 missing bubcap

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/25/19 7:02 a.m.
ultraclyde said:
Daylan C said:

I worked a parts counter. This is 100% correct.

Except for that one guy with a 4 door 57 chevy. I swear it should've been an easy $100 in the late 90s.  Right up until the "283" fired up on alky.....

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/25/19 7:08 a.m.
Mike924 said:

In the cold Wintery climates, when it snows, people forget how to drive. Period! But people in Minivans think they are invincible. 

Hey! I resemble that remark.

It will never cease to amaze me how most drivers never look any farther ahead than the bumper in front of them.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/25/19 7:25 a.m.
dropstep said:

If someone is tailgating me in this town there's a 90% chance they have Michigan plates. 

That's just because you've learned to drive in Ohio with he flying donut patrol.  Every one in Ohio seems to drive 5 under all the time, I put it down to the extra processing time needed for the average Ohio brain.  Wake up guys 80mph is for the slow lane around here. devil 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y4fcMj4WaAIKIKz0NtbzyUPwO5jPE4wtBBVUBGzTViXw510vBwMR9wxhTM0YwIws